Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2014, 12:21   #16

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Rebuilt or New Engine?

If you change engines from one brand or model to another you'll have to add the cost of mounts and engine beds to line it up with the shaft. If you're ok with that then go shopping for whatever engine you want. Personally I'd go with an engine someone just removed because they want to repower with something larger. Do all the engine tests first though including oil analysis.
kind regards,
Old 18-02-2014, 20:07   #17

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

There's a lot of freshly painted used engines sold as "rebuilt". On the other hand, I've operated or personally rebuilt dozens of engines that were rebuilt. A number were rebuilt in place. Heavy duty diesels are made to be rebuilt and have sleeves, so no boring. Most if not all bearing surfaces are replaceable. If you can mic a crank, you will find almost all cranks from engines that had regular maintenance are within standard specs. They still need to be checked for true and cracks, but in the last 50 years I've seen less than 10 cranks that need work. Those cranks were either from engines that had a major failure or little maintenance. The head is the part that takes a lot of machine time. Often heads are sent to a specialized shop unless done by a large rebuilder big enough to have the equipment necessary.
I originally was taught on aircraft piston engines. They get rebuilt every 2000 hours or less. Over and over. We don't have planes falling out of the sky from broken cranks or thrown rods, even before jets. Why are there DC-3s still flying? New radial engines haven't been made in 50 years. It's a matter of properly cleaning a disassembled engine so internal part checking gives proper readings. So bearing shells properly sit in position. So sleeves seat. Careful assembly. Proper prelube and startup. There are a number of high quality diesel rebuild shops coast to coast that mainly service commercial trucks and vessels. They do a great job or wouldn't get return business. A log truck driver I know got over a million miles on his last rebuild on a cat 3406.
Lepke
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 15:53   #18

Them new yanmars/toyota engines are not as reliable as they usto be.
d design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 17:49   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Depending on how much the OP paid for a job where the mechanic must have not cleaned the oil galleries properly, or not properly secured the end caps on the piston, maybe small claims court would be the way to go.

The OP paid in good faith. The engine put a rod through the block. I betcha if the story is as the OP stated it, any judge would find for him. Then he'd have a down payment on a different engine. With those cruising plans, he'll want the security that a reliable engine can bring.

I can certainly see how the OP might feel wary about buying a rebuilt engine after his experience. How can one tell they're dealing with someone who will stand in back of their work and not rip him off again?

Ann
Old 21-02-2014, 13:12   #20

I have a Pearson 323. I need to repower (the Volvo MD11 is Fried) I have a chance to buy a ISUZU 30 hp diesel. The MD 11 was coupled to a Warner V Drive. The Isuzu is just Rebuilt. The guy has been a friend for 15 yrs. I trust him. Question how much of a horror story will it be getting it to fit? I could really use the help.\

Thanks
John
capnmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 14:24   #21
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

i bet the "mechanic" decided to save some money and reuse the rod bolts. When I used to drive I used the same small block chevy through 25 years and 3 different bodies. Rebuilt when purchased from junkyard then refreshed after each vehicle. I have a universal sitting in the garage. The kubota blocks are sooo rebuildable. If I remember right pistons and sleeves are about a hundred bucks a cylinder. Valve seats and guides are both press in. As said before cranks usually get by with just a polish, magnaflux and new bearings and thrust washer. Newer engines arent built the way they used to build them. Theyre made to go so many hours then theyre scrap. See if they have forged tuftrided cranks, forged pistons, replaceable valve inserts etc.... In my opinion a properly rebuilt older industrial engine like kubota or perkins is a superior engine to a new yanmar marine engine made for the recreational boat
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 14:50   #22

Agree with the above post
d design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 15:10   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Replacing an engine is just the start. All the rest of the items attached cost a lot. A new engine includes only the block. Talk to someone about reusing what you have first.

Getting the mounts to match up is serious issue. A rebuild is mostly possible and clearly cheaper. Serious neglect is the one issue that can require a repower. I would never buy a boat that needed a repower. It usually is just the tip if the iceberg.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 17:05   #24

Boat: Pearson P30 30 ft

I have always had good luck with rebuilts. Because it gets cured or work hardened in use, then if properly rebuilt should outlast any new engine this was told to me by a retired Packard engineer in the 60s. It has worked for me all these years only failures have been new non rebuilt units. My 2002 5.4 ford died at 76k put in a rebuilt 231k a still sounds like new. I run it very hard (too heavy and too fast) that's why original engine only lasted 76k. I have rebuilt many for race cars, trucks,boats I only put it together, machine shop does all the boring, honing, cleaning basically all the technical stuff. I did not do the 5.4 didn't have time its a work truck.
wsulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 19:15   #25

Boat: 1975 Ericson 35

I am looking for a rebuilt 25 hp ish engine for my sailboat. do you have any leads on a good one??? i am having a hard time finding one.
jyoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 23:12   #26

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoors View Post
I am looking for a rebuilt 25 hp ish engine for my sailboat. do you have any leads on a good one??? i am having a hard time finding one.
I bet you want a reliable rebuilt engine that you will be able to trust and that will fit easily in your engine bay, in the 25-35 hp range.

Once you have the measurements, noting how the engine mounts are placed, "cause you'll want new ones, and to re-use some of the bolt holes, then you'll be in a better space for considering what you want. It will be ever so much easier for you if the footprint is the same as the old one.

And I agree with the statement above that a good older tractor or other industrial engine based marinization will most likely serve you far better than a flash new marine engine...at least till someone comes up with a good marinization of one of the common rail diesels from autos.

Ann
Old 22-02-2014, 07:32   #27

Boat: 1975 Ericson 35

i have looked a the Beta 25 and 28, the universal 25 and the westerbeke. all four of these engines will fit into my existing engine compartment. My boat is in Virgina and i have not found one rebuilt engine for it...
jyoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 07:43   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

There's been a few suitable used running engines right here on CF....

Try a search... You may get lucky!

Classified Ads - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 09:35   #29
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Have you tried Foley Diesel and Transatlantic diesel? They are two that have been around for a long time and have a good reputation.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 09:39   #30

Boat: Bombay PH 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoors View Post
The beta 28 i had in the boat was seized when i bought the boat. i had it rebuild and got it running for 2 min then it blew a hole in the block. Now looking to save some money but still have a good engine in the boat (the engine that blew drained a lot from the cruising kitty).
that's reason enough for new. unless you can find a running take out and sell off the top end.

Tags
engine