Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2007, 10:07   #1

Racor Turbine Fuel Filter/Water Seperator

After replacing the filter element in a Racor Water filter, does the fuel system typically need to be bled?

Thanks.
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2007, 10:14   #2

If it's a 200, 500, 900 or1000 series generaly no. Any other series and generaly yes.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2007, 10:26   #3

Thanks. It is a 500 series.
Old 29-08-2007, 06:12   #4

Boat: 1985 Gozzard Pilothouse 36
Did you drain the water from the bottom? If so I have found that you need to refill the filter housing with fuel or you could get air in the system and have trouble. Don't know if that answers your question or not.
Boko~maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 07:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boko~maru
Did you drain the water from the bottom? If so I have found that you need to refill the filter housing with fuel or you could get air in the system and have trouble. Don't know if that answers your question or not.
Yes, I drained the water from the bottom (alot) until fuel started coming out. When starting the engine, it did take a few tries to start it. Normally it starts up the first time. I assumed this was because the Racor was refilling with fuel. Does that make sense?
Old 29-08-2007, 12:19   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hmmmm, something ain't quite right then Boko. Ifn you drain fromt eh bottom, air should not be able to get in to the filter at all. So the "space" should have been replaced imediatly by fuel. You should not have to top it off with fuel.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 13:06   #7

Boat: Norseman 447
except you have to take the top off to change the filter, I have a outboard priming bulb in my fuel line just before racor and use it to refill filter body before replacing lid, Heck of a lot easier than using engine lift pump
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 05:20   #8

Thanks guys. Since the Racor is mounted higher than the fuel tank, I assumed that the fuel coming out was that which was up in the top of the filter where the pleated element is. Wouldn't that need to be refilled before the engine would get any fuel? Can someone explain to me why I shouldn't need to bleed the fuel lines after doing this?
Old 30-08-2007, 05:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh1965 View Post
Can someone explain to me why I shouldn't need to bleed the fuel lines after doing this?
Because the inlet and outlet are well below the fuel level in the filter.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 06:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
Because the inlet and outlet are well below the fuel level in the filter.
Thanks Pat. I still don't quite understand why that would help. If the filter is drained of fuel, wouldn't the fuel pump initially suck in air? Is the fuel filter designed such that it must fill with fuel before any fuel will reach the outlet?
Old 30-08-2007, 07:02   #11

Boat: 1985 Gozzard Pilothouse 36
I have an extra lift pump inline near the diesel fuel tank with both constant & momentary toggle switches at my fuel filter locations(Racor & spin on westerbeke) This allows me to change filters, drain water, ETC. In addition, the extra lift pump can be used as an emergency back up, if the primary lift pump fails. the important stuff always seem to fail at a bad time!!! Anyway, this allows me to refill the new filters and avoid any "air in system" stumbles, hiccups, coughs. Works for me!
Boko~maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 07:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boko~maru View Post
I have an extra lift pump inline near the diesel fuel tank with both constant & momentary toggle switches at my fuel filter locations(Racor & spin on westerbeke) This allows me to change filters, drain water, ETC. In addition, the extra lift pump can be used as an emergency back up, if the primary lift pump fails. the important stuff always seem to fail at a bad time!!! Anyway, this allows me to refill the new filters and avoid any "air in system" stumbles, hiccups, coughs. Works for me!
Interesting idea. But for the purposes of avoiding air in the lines, I don't see how it completely solves the problem...

If one allows the primary fuel filter to completely drain, this will in turn drain the inlet to the lift pump supplying the injectors. In other words, the fuel line going from the outlet of the primary fuel filter to the inlet of the lift pump will get drained and be full of air.

In my case, I turn the ignition key to run, which activates the lift pump which then sucks in air while the primary fuel filter is reprimed with fuel.

In your case, you will have refilled the primary fuel filter with fuel and presumably the fuel line between the primary fuel filter and the lift pump supplying the injectors. However, the air that is in the lines has to be released somewhere? I would think you could actually blow-out the diaphram on the lift pump supplying the injectors doing this???

I know I'm being anal here but bleeding on my diesel is a pain the rear...

I suspect some diesels are more prown to air embolism than others. I think air must get in to fuel lines quite frequently yet rarely does it seem to be a problem...

Tags
fuel, fuel filter, racor