Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2021, 12:23   #1

Boat: Gulf 32
Racor spin on filter housing advice

I currently have (what appears to be) a Racor 220R housing that holds an R24S filter on our Gulf 32 (Universal M40 motor):

I need to bring it up to ABYC code with a metal bowl and plug, but I can’t seem to find a part “220RMAM” anywhere so maybe they’re not made anymore?

What are my options? Can I find a metal bowl and drain plug for this housing? Is there an equivalent, newer housing that takes this R24S filter?

If not (which isn’t that big a deal, I only have a few spare filters, but would be nice not to have to junk them) what is the “equivalent” new version of this housing that would be closest to plug and play replacement of the 220R but with metal bowl and metal drain plug?

Not on the boat right now so just trying to do some planning.

Thanks in advance (as always),

-- Bass
Old 07-05-2021, 17:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Racor spin on filter housing advice

A metal bowl isn't made for that filter. It's not meant to be a marine primary filter, just a spin on with better water removal used in trucks and industrial equipmnt. Shown is a Racor 900 for marine use. You can probably find a Chinese copy on ebay. Or get a Racor here:
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/brow...ms=racor%20500
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Racor 900ma_sm.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	237926  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 17:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
A metal bowl isn't made for that filter. It's not meant to be a marine primary filter, just a spin on with better water removal used in trucks and industrial equipmnt. Shown is a Racor 900 for marine use. You can probably find a Chinese copy on ebay. Or get a Racor here:
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/brow...ms=racor%20500

Thanks. That would explain my struggles. So the metal heat shield qualifies for marine / ABYC, the whole bowl doesn't have to be metal?

And to clarify, you mention a Racor 900 but you linked to the 500... do you have a preference? I don't even burn 1 gph...
Old 07-05-2021, 18:20   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
Thanks. That would explain my struggles. So the metal heat shield qualifies for marine / ABYC, the whole bowl doesn't have to be metal?

And to clarify, you mention a Racor 900 but you linked to the 500... do you have a preference? I don't even burn 1 gph...

We use a 500...a smaller version of the 900.

However like you we burn, typically, .25-.3 gph, so we’re not utilizing the turbine feature of the filter.

Why have this filter you may ask?

Ease of changing the element. I can pop a new element in with no spilled fuel (if I’m careful) in a few seconds.

We also carry liability only insurance so don’t have any pesky surveyors telling us to install a metal shield onto a filter that’s bolted to a wood bulkhead.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 18:43   #5

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

I bought a Chinese version of the 500. no metal shield but then the racor did not have one. Uses raycor filters and works great
Old 08-05-2021, 05:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
We also carry liability only insurance so don’t have any pesky surveyors telling us to install a metal shield onto a filter that’s bolted to a wood bulkhead.

Yeah, it's pretty irritating with all the things that need to be done to the boat I'm tasked with removing a perfectly functioning part just to satisfy some other entity. But I know how insurance companies are, I could get run down by a freighter and they'd say "well, we have documentation you didn't have a metal bowl on your fuel filter, so we're going to deny your claim".
Old 08-05-2021, 07:48   #7

Boat: Catalina 320

I recently replaced a 215RMAM filter assembly which is 15gph, the metal bowl for a 200 series should fit your filter, they are almost $100.
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...074&id=3325364
A 30gph filter the 230rmam should be an appropriate replacement at $200, which includes metal bowl and UL listed filter.
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...510&id=3325719
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:13   #8

Boat: Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
I bought a Chinese version of the 500. no metal shield but then the racor did not have one. Uses raycor filters and works great
Racor makes two versions. On for marine applications with the bowl and one without for non-marine.

I bought the the Chinese version for a fuel polisher but have the Racor marine version on my boat. The Chinese version is metric for the 500 knockoff and I think imperial for the 900. At least those were the only two I could find. No problem with metric if that is what you need. It is little tricky to find other fittings for the metric ports in the US. It came with a 10mm barbed fitting which worked fine with my 3/8 hose for my polisher.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:10   #9

Boat: Hunter 44DS

I can’t help with the part number, but on my Yanmar 4JH3E I have a Racor similar to yours with a metal bowl. I also have a Racor on my generator and it has the metal bowl, so I’d think they’re available. If I get down to the boat I’ll look for a part #. The plastic bowel would sure make it easier to see the water level. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1074.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	237952Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0984.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	237953
jhagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 15:56   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

The point of the bowl is a heat shield in case of an engineroom fire. It gives the crew time to fight the fire before the plastic bowl melts and releases more fuel into the fire. You should have a way to shut off fuel to the engineroom from outside. Unless you have a plastic fuel tank in the engineroom, and then, don't bother.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 16:26   #11

Boat: Beneteau 423

From defender

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2091826#

The one that I bought came with a 2 micron filter so changed it right away.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 16:36   #12

Boat: Chatam 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post

It might take a bit more money and effort, but I think it wise to have as few Chinese products on board as possible.
Leee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, racor