Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2006, 16:58   #1

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
Exclamation Racor 500 Element Warning

Perhaps someone has already noted this, but I could not find it in the posts. If you have a Racor 500 filter unit the new elements will NOT fit your old pre-1997 Racor unit. You must get an adapter from Racor and they provide this free. You can contact them at racortech@parker.com to get the adapter. The new elements have an indentation in the bottom of them that means that the intake in this area is unfiltered and you are relying on your primary filter (which is usually a joke in terms of filtration capability).

I would have expected that since this has to be the most common Racor filter installed on sailboats in the last two decades that West Marine, Defender or others would have noted this on the if the manufacturer did not enclose a notice with the new style replacement filters.

I got my information from the tech folks at Racor after wondering about the newly designed elements for my pre 1997 unit.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 17:26   #2

Pete,
This has been mentioned several times. I also have 8-10 of these left.
I take your comment as a personal affront. NO engine builder would intentionaly install a part that would cause a failure. The secondary filters mounted to the engine are plenty to safeguard the injection pump and injectors from anything that might come from upstream. The builders require a primary filter due to the loads of trash in tanks and needing sometype of filter before the lift pump to protect it.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 00:55   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Are you referring to Racor Product Bulletin #7572 (06/28/2002) “Marine Turbine Series”?
http://www.parker.com/racor/Prodbul/RcrProdBulltns.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:52   #4

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
Racor 500

So how many microns does a Perkins primary filter remove? What would be its ability to remove water?

Gord, I read the Racor bulletin you referenced and could find no warning that the new element would not work in the old units without an adapter. Maybe you are supposed to be able to discern that from the mechanical explanations, but I could not. I asked the folks in West Marine about the new design last fall when I noticed the change and they told me that there was no problem, that the new design would retrofit. I am talking about the 2010 SM-OR replacement cartridge for the 500 series.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:04   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Fuel filters can not "filter" water because it is a liquid not a solid. A racor primary filter would also have a water seperator. They work quite well. The drain on the bottom lets you drain the water as you run should you look and see there is water in the bottom of the bowl. Water is heavier than fuel and will tend to separate. Once water passes the primary it's going to pass through anything else.

Perkins primary filters are 30 microns and won't rrestrict the flow and will capture all the really chunky stuff and separate the water. The secondary will then be left with the tiny stuff to filter.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:32   #6

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Racor will send you the adaptors free and quickly. Also shortly at least that's what they told me they will start including adaptors with every filter for a while to get them out there.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:32   #7

Boat: Privilege 37
I have purchased new filters (accidentally!), I never received an adapter. Is that something new?
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:31   #8

Primary filters, the ones mounted to the boat between the engine and fuel tank. Should be 30mcn and of a water seperating style. Secondary filters the ones mounted on the engine will vary depending on the engine builder. Most are usualy 10mcn or less.
Never use a 2mcn primary. This can cause a restriction in fuel flow decreased perforamnce.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:33   #9

Addendum to the Racor bulliten,
Per Racor, in place of the bushing you may use a piece of rubber fuel hose. I think I remember the dimensions being 5/8" long and 3/8" or 1`/2" in diameter. I'll look at the shop for the addendum.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:46   #10

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Pat, Just wondering why Ray letting us know of a potential issue with Racor filters translates to a personal affront to you. Are you an officer of Racor? Don't see any mention in his post about a manufacturer installing part to cause engine failure. Maybe my computer lost part of his post.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:48   #11
Eternal Member

I sent a note to Raycor tech folks at the email given above.

In less than one day received a note from them saying that the adapters are in the mail (no charge). "Adapters", because I have two Raycor 500G units.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:30   #12

Chuck,
First, here is the part I responded to
"The new elements have an indentation in the bottom of them that means that the intake in this area is unfiltered and you are relying on your primary filter (which is usually a joke in terms of filtration capability)."

Second,
I am not affiliated with Racor in anyway. I do use their product.

Third,
I take, taking care of these engine seriously. For some one to infer that an engine builder would intentionaly use substandard parts is unacceptable to me.
If my personal and business values are too moral for you. Get over it, it's the way I am. If I'm curt, sorry. This is a BIG DEAL to me.
Old 07-11-2006, 16:57   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Preferred brand?

Other than one with a 30 microm filter and a water separator is there a preferred brand of primary filter?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 17:28   #14

Boat: Saint Francis 50 Sailing Catamaran
I agree that 2 microns are not good for most US (aka polluted) waters and marinas. However I think that the 2 microns are great for travels a field and if you use the gauges you can always be sure that you are not restricting flow.

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. -- HG Wells
RandyAbernethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 17:40   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Other than one with a 30 micron filter and a water separator is there a preferred brand of primary filter?
Well I suppose there are others but Racor seems to be the leader in these products at least on boats. Trucks get into others I suppose. They seem to be priced at a reasonable level. It's not really part of the engine system. It's considered part of the fuel system. A Racor 30 with a separator is good enough. I'm not sure you could do better.

You find someone that wants to run a 10 micron as a primary once in a while and it isn't a wise move. A 30 primary is most always the better choice. I have a fuel system set up such that I can flip a few valves and change the primary on the fly as there are two racors installed. It was set up by the previous owner that way. he was pretty paranoid about going down south and in the end he found that fuel was about as good as it is in the US.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racor