Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2020, 17:55   #16

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Perkins Prima M50 engine wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek 2222 View Post
Hi guys

Is there anyone who has Perkins M50, My engine harness burn dow Just the ground wires( don't ask how this happened). But anyway I have hard time to wire the 3 relays , The gauges come on when I turn the key but I can't crank up the engine. I replaced the relays new starter and most of the ground wiring coming from sending units temperature,oil pressure. but I can't get it running. The starter won't engage.
I have the repair manual which has wiring diagram there, but the wiring diagram is for old panel with push button starter and I have Cole Hersee Ignition switch.
So the relays are wired differently than as is show in the wiring diagram.I just can figure out. Any advise please.
Pushbutton vs switch shouldn't make much of a difference. The 3 relays, 2 are for the glow plugs (ground and positive) and the 3rd is for start (which is in addition to the relay mounted on the starter itself). You need to identify which is which. Confirm you have 12v to the start relay. The positive to the relay should come from the positive terminal on the starter. Then confirm that is closes when the key is turned to start. I think that wire is Yellow with a red stripe, and should come from the key switch. If that relay is working, follow the output to the relay mounted on the starter itself.

Since you say this all started with ground issues, you should check that too. Ground goes from the battery first to the starter, and from there to everything else. Bad ground to the relay would stop it from working.

Tags
consumption, oil, perkins