Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2022, 15:37   #1

Outboard carb spraying fuel

Also, not running.

Outboard (newish 6.5hp hangkai - cheap Chinese junk) conked out yesterday. Started but died shortly thereafter. Did this a couple times and then wouldn't start at all.

This morning I pulled the carb and cleaned it, but it didn't really have any dirt or gunk. Confirmed fuel line clear. Put together and ran it for 5 min and had high hopes. Started immediately and didn't sputter out. Shut it off and went on with more boat work.

Started again tonight to test a bit more. Easy start on 2nd pull, but after 20secs or so, died just like yesterday.

Popped the hood and pumped the bulb and could see fuel almost spraying out of small holes at the top of the carb. My suspicion is that there were perhaps screws here that have somehow fallen out recently. However, it looks like 2 separate holes and that seems like a lot of coincidence.

I'm attempting to link a video showing the leaks. The fuel flows when I'm pumping the bulb. The vid is kinda shaky cuz I'm in the dink trying not to drop my phone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...WE6-SD_Dm-Qrvv
soopad00pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 15:46   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Outboard carb spraying fuel

usually that would be a struck float valve that allows the carburetor resevoir to overflow thru it's vent.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 16:53   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
usually that would be a struck float valve that allows the carburetor resevoir to overflow thru it's vent.

^^^ Often compounded by a non-vented tank that is pressurized. (either opening a vent or installing a pressure demand valve solves this).
Old 03-03-2022, 17:37   #4

Thanks - I dunno what to do about a stuck float valve. Is it obvious? I can say that everything seemed to move correctly when I got into the guts. Maybe I reinstalled it wrong?

Tank vent is open and the fuel seems to be moving appropriately. I checked the line/tank pretty thoroughly before digging into the carb...
Old 03-03-2022, 18:03   #5

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Check the float.

If you hear sloshing when shaking it, it has a leak. Such a leak causes the float to sink (hmm, poetic license not invoked.) If this is the case, you have 2 options. 1. Replace the float with new, or 2. find the leak and fix it. Often a plastic float can be "welded" shut with s soldering iron, etc.

Good luck.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 19:03   #6

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopad00pa View Post
Thanks - I dunno what to do about a stuck float valve. Is it obvious? I can say that everything seemed to move correctly when I got into the guts. Maybe I reinstalled it wrong?

Tank vent is open and the fuel seems to be moving appropriately. I checked the line/tank pretty thoroughly before digging into the carb...
Take the top off again, hold it up so as the gasket face is level and make sure that the float is in the correct position and GENTLY raise the float to check the valve is moving and not stuck. It can be quite easy to unintentionally "adjust" the level when re assembling.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 19:58   #7

Thanks all. Hopefully I'll be able to report positive results in a day or so.
Old 14-03-2022, 08:43   #8

OK, finally got this lil butthead apart again. It's clean and everything appears functional, however, it still stalls.

But now I know why - it's flooding itself. After reinstalling and starting, it repeated the problem, only this time I was watching from a clean slate.

Choke on, throttle to 'start' position. Pull cord starts after 3-4 pulls. Choke in, dial back throttle. Wait to see if it's fixed, doing nothing. Gas pours out of top of carb as in previous video.

As far as I can tell, the float moves appropriately- it rattles up and down after reassembly. The throttle and choke cables do their job.

My question is this - what else could be causing gas to just pour into the carb? It's A LOT. Just like the other vid where I was pumping the bulb, but with no pumping.

I'm attaching pics and a vid (hopefully) of the carb out of the motor.

https://youtube.com/shorts/_ZcDLMc7MNY?feature=share

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Ombm9CPBxSCrUv
Old 14-03-2022, 08:45   #9

To add - I ask about flooding in the new vid because I haven't put it back it and realized that it is indeed flooding.

In addition, further research indicates something might be sticking the needle valve. Anything I need to know before I dig into further disassembly?
Old 14-03-2022, 11:48   #10

And final update, I hope. It's fixed. The needle was a tiny bit gummy and sticking in the valve. I polished the valve and got the needle as clean as I could, but it certainly ain't perfect. Might need a new one. A better one, because this one is practically new - motor probably has less than 25hrs on it. Certainly less than 50.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...SVOtfIKiVANx0q

Tags
fuel, outboard