Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2022, 07:08   #31

Re: New Outboard - Which Brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I am looking at getting a New 15HP 4 Stroke Outboard (Sadly new 2 strokes are banned in Australia).

I was wondering if any of the major Brands (Honda, Sazuki, Tohatsu & Yamaha) have any major advantages or disadvantages over each other?

Thanks in Advance
I would stay away from Tohatsu for sure. Yes they are the least expensive (in the US) but they are the loudest. Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha are the best in my opinion. When buying a new one make sure to get one with EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) this eliminates the carburetor. Makes these much more reliable.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 07:18   #32

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
I would stay away from Tohatsu for sure. Yes they are the least expensive (in the US) but they are the loudest. Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha are the best in my opinion. When buying a new one make sure to get one with EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) this eliminates the carburetor. Makes these much more reliable.

If you want EFI in a small outboard, that means Suzuki or Tohatsu. They're the only ones with an EFI 10 or 15 hp. Yamaha only offers EFI on the 20hp and bigger. Honda only offers it on the 40 and bigger.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 07:57   #33

Quote:
100% agree on the EFI. I was slightly concerned about reliability when I bought mine, but EFI cars are generally reliable in that area (all the car issues I've had were nothing to do with the computer or injectors).

I'm not sure noise level was high in my list of considerations when selecting an outboard! For me, Tohatsu was the lightest for the HP. Being the least expensive was nice, not a main factor.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 08:03   #34

Boat: Morgan 33 Out Island
Send a message via MSN to dmacalister Send a message via Yahoo to dmacalister

I bought a 15 hp Tohatsu three years ago and very happy with it. I sail in the great lakes in Canada and am very happy that the two stroke motors are on their way out as it is easy to see how much pollution they cause in a body of water with little or no current. Another plus with the Tohatsu is it comes ready for ocean use and does not need an expensive upgrade to prevent corrosion. It's a very quiet running motor and very easy to do maintenance on it.
dmacalister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 08:42   #35

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
I would stay away from Tohatsu for sure. Yes they are the least expensive (in the US) but they are the loudest.
I haven't heard one yet, but I'd expect their newest EFI models would be about the same as the equivalent HP Suzuki EFI.

-Chris
Old 21-01-2022, 09:02   #36

Boat: Lock Crowther 37' Catamaran - ORYOKI

Have a Honda 15 4 stroke on ORYOKI. Pushes me at 6. Same engine as the 20. The difference with the 20 is the size of the carb jets and slightly different camshaft. and about $$$$ dollars. I like my Honda. A decade of care free miles. Just wish the dip stick was easier to access.
Old 21-01-2022, 09:12   #37

Boat: Hirondelle 23 catamaran 1994

I just bought a Suzuki 9.9hp EFI, it is a de-rated 20hp. The 9.9, 15 & 20hp Suzuki EFIs are identical except that software and air restrictor plates create the different horsepower motors. There is a You-tube video showing how to convert the 9.9 to a 20hp by changing the engine computer and drilling a hole in the air restrictor plate. The warranty is voided, of course, but it makes for an interesting option in the future.

The electric start version will start and run with no battery attached, this is a big deal since you cannot get stranded with a totally dead battery. Even if the factory pull cord breaks, the manual shows you how to wind any thin rope around the flywheel and pull start the motor; 'batteryless' start is a great feature.

So far (after one run) i am impressed. I will post again next year on how it is holding up.
hirondeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 10:52   #38
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I have the Mercury 20hp efi which is the same as the Tohatsu and it is so quiet that we’ve let it running by accident. I don’t believe a a Yamaha is quieter.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 12:54   #39

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:

Do you actually have a new Tohatsu 4 stroke EFI? Ours is pretty quiet…
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 15:41   #40

Boat: C&C 34

I agree the Tohatsu 15 EFI seems just as quiet as everything else out there.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 17:37   #41

Boat: 2006 34' PDQ Powercat

We just purchased an outboard for our dinghy. We did a lot of research and talked with multiple dinghy dealers AND their service dept managers. Every singly service dept mgr said "HONDA'". They all said hands down, Honda outboards are the most reliable and by far the easiest to service. We bought a Honda.
Old 21-01-2022, 17:45   #42

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCarter3 View Post
We just purchased an outboard for our dinghy. We did a lot of research and talked with multiple dinghy dealers AND their service dept managers. Every singly service dept mgr said "HONDA'". They all said hands down, Honda outboards are the most reliable and by far the easiest to service. We bought a Honda.
If you are staying in the developed world that is true.

This is a cruising forum where a lot of member have or intended to venture out of the developed world and circumstances are significantly different.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 04:41   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I am looking at getting a New 15HP 4 Stroke Outboard (Sadly new 2 strokes are banned in Australia).

I was wondering if any of the major Brands (Honda, Sazuki, Tohatsu & Yamaha) have any major advantages or disadvantages over each other?

Thanks in Advance

I've got a 20-hp 4-stroke Tohatsu with electric start on my 11.5' dinghy and it runs great. I've had zero issues with it. SUper easy to work on and the Tohatsu corporate folks have been great offering parts lists, etc. Use it often and so far been a great motor. Had many years with Yamaha big motors and they were fine too. Love the EFI and the 20-hp only requires a small battery to start the motor. Mine has quick disconnect battery cables so I can bring it in when not in use. It sits in a smaller version of a plastic ammo can with a handle. Easy....
captcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 04:51   #44

Quote:

Respectfully disagree....I've owned all of them and the Tohatsu is no louder than any of the others. My 20-hp is fine even at high RPM.
captcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 05:16   #45

Boat: Brazapi Serenity 51

Suzuki has been good for me. Low weight 9.9, 15 & 20 are same engine with different restricted plate and possibly mapping. I opened up my 9.9 restrictor to make it a 15 and increased prop pitch.
Hiva Oa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard