Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2022, 10:25   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: New Outboard - Which Brand?

a lot of 9.9's are simply a "detuned" 15....same engine, but runs about 500 rpm slower...
some inland lakes have a 10 hp maximum allowed, which brought about the " 9.9".

about the only difference between the two are the jet sizes...manufacturers would like you to believe they are different engines, and have priced them accordingly.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 10:33   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
a lot of 9.9's are simply a "detuned" 15....same engine, but runs about 500 rpm slower...
some inland lakes have a 10 hp maximum allowed, which brought about the " 9.9".

about the only difference between the two are the jet sizes...manufacturers would like you to believe they are different engines, and have priced them accordingly.
Likewise, my 20HP was a few hundred more than the 15 and likely just different tune, PERHAPS bigger injectors but not a few hundred difference in cost!
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 11:56   #18

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Tohatsu makes both a "big" and "small" 10hp. The 9.8 is smaller and has a carb (also comes de-tuned to an 8). The 9.9 (heavier, has EFI) is a de-tuned 20 (also available as a 15).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 12:07   #19

Boat: Leopard 40

Yamaha then Tohatsu or Suzuki. Definitely not Honda.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 12:11   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Ya...Honda make outstanding cars....but fall short in the outboard engine department...strange....???
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 12:39   #21
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

We love our Mercury 20hp, which is the Tohatsu efi motor but it has a much better (center) tiller.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 15:42   #22

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I do not think it is so much two stroke engines, as it is possible to build a two stroke engine which does not mix oil with the fuel. It is just that present day common small two stroke oil-in fuel or mix-oil-as-you-go two strokes will not comply and will vanish.

Big two stroke supercharged engines which have the same oiling systems as four stroke engines and do not use ports, reed valves and crank case pressure to admit fuel mixed with oil, especially GM type diesel two stroke varieties, will not be a problem under the new regulations.

That is my take on it anyway. Small outboards are far better for being four-stroke as long as they are WELL DESIGNED.

For what it is worth, I think all small engines under ten horsepower are better for being air cooled and a little noisier.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 16:21   #23

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I can't tell you which one to get, but I can warn you against Suzuki for a dinghy motor. It says right in the manual that you must flush it with fresh water every time you use it in salt water. What they don't tell you is that this must be done in a barrel as the engine never gets warm enough to open the thermostat with the muffs on. Who has that much fresh water on board to do that anyway. The cooling passages to the block are very small and clog/corrode very easily. My power head has been apart for manual cleaning 4 times and the engine has only 430 hours on it. You will find several threads in this forum discussing this problem as it is quite common. I gave up after the last time and bought a Tohatsu. I Haven't had it long enough to tell you if it will be any better, but at least the manual brags about its saltwater resistant alloys. If anyone wants a 15hp Suzuki for use in fresh water I still have it, but I can't in good conscience sell the POS to someone for salt water use.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 18:26   #24

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

While we are on the subject, about a year and a half ago my 2004 2 stroke Suzuki 15 hp was stolen from the slips at Careel Bay Marina in Pittwater if anyone can ID it from the photos and give me the location I'm Happy to pay a reward. The Unusual ID is the bumblebee on the cowling. You can contact Careel Bay Services or my self here.

Many Thanks, SV Skoiern IV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	suzuki 6.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	251444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Suzuki 4.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	251445  

Name:	Suzuki 5.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	251446  
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 18:43   #25

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I am looking at getting a New 15HP 4 Stroke Outboard (Sadly new 2 strokes are banned in Australia).

I was wondering if any of the major Brands (Honda, Sazuki, Tohatsu & Yamaha) have any major advantages or disadvantages over each other?

Thanks in Advance

Let price and availability be your guide. Consider availability of parts and service in the areas you intend to sail. I have Honda and Yamaha 4 strokes and they are both fantastic. Suzuki and Tohatsu are good too. Look at weights. Honda has a couple of choices in 15 hp, a lighter and a heavier one. The big one is EFI and probably more reliable, the lighter one is lighter.
Old 17-01-2022, 19:32   #26

Boat: Tartan 40

I have this and after 3 seasons very happy with it. I’d go EFI…

Name:	IMG_1642476747.787366.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	251449
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 00:23   #27

My Yamaha 9.9 IS/WAS a Tohatsu 100% for sure. Great engine never had a problem just did the yearly maintenance and ran ethanol free pump gas. Never added any snake oil to the fuel.
I'd buy another of that brand.

Not sure about this but it may have also been Merc. if you stuck those labels on it. Probably a couple others as well....
Barkingmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 11:35   #28

Boat: Cheer Men PT41

Buy EFI - small outboards with carbs are a pain in the a--. I know - I have one!
mickand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 12:16   #29

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I agree that the new EFI motors look like the way to go. If I had to buy a motor now I'd look at the Merc/Tohatsu motors. At 99lbs the 15hp looks like a winner but, by the way, since the 20hp is the same weight, I'd go for that one.

But the 4-stroke motors still have small passages and problems, as many have reported. You won't put the pain in the a-- out of the picture just by going to EFI 4-stroke.

With my carbureted 2 stroke I sort of expect problems now and then, especially at the beginning of the season. I am comfortable with pulling the carb off and reaming out the passages and I don't count on the motor unless I've had it running recently. So if you're planning to use the motor tomorrow and you haven't run it for a few weeks or months, start it today and plan on some tool time in case it does not perform perfectly right away.

But once I've gone through it I expect (and usually get) good, reliable, service the rest of the season and have for 20 years. (BTW, in 22 years this 2-stroke Merc has been recorded as a problem in the log book 14 times).

So, As much as we'd all wish for flawless service without all this trouble, I don't think we're there yet. I think small outboards are all going to have occasional problems, and carbs or EFI, you just have to deal with it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4555-Fred Checks Mercury's sore throat.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	251592  
Old 20-01-2022, 12:20   #30

Boat: Oram

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I am looking at getting a New 15HP 4 Stroke Outboard (Sadly new 2 strokes are banned in Australia).

I was wondering if any of the major Brands (Honda, Sazuki, Tohatsu & Yamaha) have any major advantages or disadvantages over each other?

Thanks in Advance
Except for Yamaha All 15 hp are derated 20’s, so most people just go with the 20. Yamaha is a derated 25 hp. Honda (carby) for me, they just work and easy to fix, they are a little bit heavier than Suzuki and Tohatsu/Mercury but lighter than Yamaha
Bunji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard