Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2024, 12:14   #1

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'
Muffer vs Waterlock - What do I need (pics included)

Contrary to popular belief the muffler from my Beneteau First 42 is removeable without pulling the engine or cutting an access hatch in a bulkhead. The issue I am having now is the existing stainless muffler is incredibly narrow and I can't find a replacement for it. It's only 4.75" wide and I don't have that much more space between the bulkhead and the fuel tank where it sits. Additionally I don't know if I need a "water lock" or just a muffler. The existing is just a rectangle with a 2"/ 51mm inlet that goes to the rectangle chamber. The exit is 2"/ 51mm and its a 45* elbow that picks up at the bottom of the chamber and exits to the back. Is that a waterlock or just a muffler?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	289699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2801.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	289700  

Name:	IMG_2802.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	289701   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2800.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	289702  

Name:	IMG_2804.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	289703   Click image for larger version

Name:	73661779316__567F5C00-6FFA-4EFD-83E4-2D16217C23A1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	289704  

My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2024, 12:41   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Muffer vs Waterlock - What do I need (pics included)

Based on your description it's a water lift muffler (which some brands call a waterlock). If you need one in a custom size the basic design principle is fairly simple. I'd consider buying some fiberglass exhaust tubing for the inlet, outlet, and pickup tube and then building a fiberglass muffler to fit the available space. Larger and more water capacity is fine, but I wouldn't go any smaller than the original design. A larger unit may be a little quieter as well.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2024, 23:39   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Your original was probably custom made. A replacement will also need to be custom made.

What is the main concern with the original one? The pitting shown in the pictures or something else?

If it is only the pitting and if there is enough room, use the original one as 'core' and fibreglass the 4 (or 6) sides and refit.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2024, 01:39   #4

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Centek makes custom fiberglass systems, plus they have many options of premade. Give them a call….
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2024, 07:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Your original was probably custom made. A replacement will also need to be custom made.

What is the main concern with the original one? The pitting shown in the pictures or something else?

If it is only the pitting and if there is enough room, use the original one as 'core' and fibreglass the 4 (or 6) sides and refit.

That's an interesting idea. The bottom is severely pitted and has holes. Is that something people do?
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Old 13-05-2024, 07:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
Centek makes custom fiberglass systems, plus they have many options of premade. Give them a call….
Their customer service has been incredible, I really wish they made something off the shelf for me but the narrowest option is 6"
Old 13-05-2024, 18:27   #7

Even though the drawings show that the exhaust elbow exits the manifold above the water line, it’s close enough that you need a water lift type muffler.

As mentioned in the other thread, make or get someone to make this in fiberglass and forget the idea of covering the original with glass and resin. Too much risk of the box corroding within the glass and causing problems.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water