Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2014, 17:03   #76

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Lehr Propane outboard: horizontal tank? liquid propane?

Whoo boy! I am learning a lot about my new 15hp Lehr. First, it prefers liquid fuel, which is conveniently provided by the Lehr (and ALL forklift tanks) horizontal 31#, 7 1/2 gallon composite tanks. Second, the electric start motor/generator ( a single unit) is connected to a lithium battery, as HopCar noted. Third, the 15 has a garden hose flushout fitting mounted on the starboard side. No need to be in a bucket of water!

The fun part of being on the bleeding edge of technology is that you get to be happily surprised when neat things happen. I'm sorry that I haven't included any pics, my camera was discharged, but I promise a bunch tomorrow. I have opened the box, installed the outboard on a heavy duty motor caddy (while I do some other work prepping the dinghy for sea trials), as well as waiting for the liquid feed composite tanks to arrive.

The engine arrives with TWO hoses, one for high pressure VAPOR feed, such as your barbecue tank. The other is a high pressure LIQUID feed hose and connector for the forklift tanks. The vapor tank isn't as efficient at hitting top speed as the liquid supply, but it's cool that you can have a safety spare in the form of a conventional propane tank of whatever size. Just don't count on hitting the top end of available performance on vapor alone.

I haven't done the sea trial yet, but when I do I will be taking out a lot of West Marine folks in San Diego, as well as a whole lot of others, to see what this thing does on a 10' 6" AB Navigo VS RIB. The first 10 hours of breakin will require an oil change AND A NEW FILTER (none of the smaller sizes have an oil filter), and thereafter, every 100 hours of service. The dealer (West Marine) contacted Lehr and found out that the shop manual hasn't been produced yet, and would go first to established service agents. I am hoping to become one. This is great fun.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 19:54   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Roy, send me an email through my website and I'll send you a good link on servicing the Lehr engines.
Old 18-08-2014, 12:10   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Ngermain, They sold you the wrong flush attachment. The Seachoice 18411 is for larger engines. I haven't seen an aftermarket flush attachment for the 4 hp Yamaha. I think you'll have to buy it from a Yamaha dealer.
I think the correct part number is ABB-FLUSH-JD-00.
Will the ABB-FLUSH-JD-00 work on the Lehr 9.9 as well?
Bits n Bytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 12:18   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Whoo boy! I am learning a lot about my new 15hp Lehr. First, it prefers liquid fuel, which is conveniently provided by the Lehr (and ALL forklift tanks) horizontal 31#, 7 1/2 gallon composite tanks. Second, the electric start motor/generator ( a single unit) is connected to a lithium battery, as HopCar noted. Third, the 15 has a garden hose flushout fitting mounted on the starboard side. No need to be in a bucket of water!

The fun part of being on the bleeding edge of technology is that you get to be happily surprised when neat things happen. I'm sorry that I haven't included any pics, my camera was discharged, but I promise a bunch tomorrow. I have opened the box, installed the outboard on a heavy duty motor caddy (while I do some other work prepping the dinghy for sea trials), as well as waiting for the liquid feed composite tanks to arrive.

The engine arrives with TWO hoses, one for high pressure VAPOR feed, such as your barbecue tank. The other is a high pressure LIQUID feed hose and connector for the forklift tanks. The vapor tank isn't as efficient at hitting top speed as the liquid supply, but it's cool that you can have a safety spare in the form of a conventional propane tank of whatever size. Just don't count on hitting the top end of available performance on vapor alone.

I haven't done the sea trial yet, but when I do I will be taking out a lot of West Marine folks in San Diego, as well as a whole lot of others, to see what this thing does on a 10' 6" AB Navigo VS RIB. The first 10 hours of breakin will require an oil change AND A NEW FILTER (none of the smaller sizes have an oil filter), and thereafter, every 100 hours of service. The dealer (West Marine) contacted Lehr and found out that the shop manual hasn't been produced yet, and would go first to established service agents. I am hoping to become one. This is great fun.
Roy,

Have you completed your sea trial yet? We are very anxious to hear about your results. We are prospective 9.9 owners and will be using with a Avon RIB.
Bits n Bytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 16:06   #80

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Bits n Bytes, yes, I've completed the initial part of my seatrial with the 15 HP and I'm happy. I'm still fiddling with stuff associated with the RIB and the engine, specifically, I've painted the bottom with antifouling, and I'm nearing completion of a roller launching/recovery system for the dinghy off my quarterdeck on my 40' multihull. I am intrigued with also adding a DoelFin to aid in planing more efficiently, and I'm talking with Lehr about possible re-propping the boat. I hope to have things ready for the folks at my local West Marine to send their associates out to play with it to get a feel for this new engine. If you want to come to San Diego, you're welcome to try it out. Send me a PM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0788.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	86764   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0786.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	86765  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0805.jpg