Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2020, 02:15   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Is a fuel primer bulb legit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
Not approved by whom? ABYC? Just curious. Never heard of any regulations about it...
SAE & ISO

The U.S. Coast Guard addresses fuel line requirements in the code of federal regulations (CFR) that applies to recreational boats: CFR Title 33, Type A1-15.
Ratings & approvals are primarily determined on two factors, permeability and fire resistance. Particularly with volatile gasoline, permeability is a concern due to vapor build up. If it is in an enclosed space "below deck" (Type A) it must not give off explosive vapors. Manufacturers often refer to hose as "above deck"/"topside" (B) or "below deck" (A) hose, which is simply a way of phrasing the permeability rating.
SAE J1527 & ISO Type A1 are a couple fuel line of Standards
The North American rating system for marine hose is known as SAE J1527 and it provides for grades as follows:
A1-fuel feed hose; has a fire resistant cover; is designed to have fuel in the hose at all times. Least permeable with highest fire resistance.
A2-fuel vent hose; has a fire resistant cover; is not designed to have fuel in the hose at all times.
B1-fuel feed hose; without fire resistant cover; is designed to have fuel in the hose at all times; intended for non-enclosed spaces. Diesel engines or above deck outboard gasoline applications.
B2-fuel vent hose; without fire resistant cover; is not designed to have fuel in the hose at all times. Diesel vent lines.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:38   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
As one who has used a bulb below decks for many years without softening, bursting or other problems, I can't agree with your worries relative to function. Approval is a different matter, one which is of greater importance to some folks than others.

Jim

I hear you but try to explain that to guy who owned the fuel bulb below. He wound up selling his boat due to lingering diesel smells that no-one could get rid of, not even Service Master. It allowed nearly 75 gallons of fuel to drain into the bilge.

I don't know of any primer bulbs actually rated for below deck use, because they don't pass the fire test ratings for below deck use. If you must use one isolate it with valves and mount it well above the fuel tank so it can't siphon if it fails.. Use these below deck at your own risk..

Old 01-05-2020, 04:16   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I hear you but try to explain that to guy who owned the fuel bulb below. He wound up selling his boat due to lingering diesel smells that no-one could get rid of, not even Service Master. It allowed nearly 75 gallons of fuel to drain into the bilge.

I don't know of any primer bulbs actually rated for below deck use, because they don't pass the fire test ratings for below deck use. If you must use one isolate it with valves and mount it well above the fuel tank so it can't siphon if it fails.. Use these below deck at your own risk..

Indeed.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:27   #19

"I have one in my system, although it is isolated from the primary fuel line path via ball-valves. I can flip the valves and use it to help bleed if needed, then close off the valves, isolating it from the main fuel line path. Makes bleeding easy."

Sounds like the perfect solution for the belt and suspenders folks.
FAST FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:32   #20

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Save the grief, plumb in a Facet fuel pump and problem solved, just pick one of the 'rated' ones. No need to get in a lather.
Cheers all, stay safe
Old 01-05-2020, 04:34   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Standard fit on lots of Peugeot diesel cars in the 1990-2000s and made it easy to bleed the fuel system after changing the fuel filter.

Pete
yeah. I found the car leaked when I used it as an outboard on my fishing boat. The bulb was fine though..
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:24   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
After nearly burning our boat down when the electric add-on priming pump decided to catch fire offshore (good times), I swapped it for a bulb. It's great. Not quite as simple as turning a key to prime, but almost, and pretty fool proof.
That would be an extremely rare occurrence, odds of that happening are vanishingly small, happening twice?
To illustrate it, all automobiles that I know of are fuel injected, at lest the ones made in the last 30 or more years anyway, and as such that all have electric fuel pumps, vast majority of these pumps are actually located in the fuel tank.
I have never heard of a failure, which almost certainly would be an explosion and almost instantaneous SERIOUS fire
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:25   #23

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post

If you are going to go through the trouble of putting a picture like that, at least explain how that cut occurred. That looks like a knife cut. Di that burst under pressure? on an negative pressure line? Could you please elaborate on a scenario where a prudent owner would let a cut like that dump 75gal into the bilge. Over what time frame? Under what circumstances?
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:31   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Given the number of these things being used for outboard tanks to engines the world over, in all sorts of conditions, is there really a problem? carry a spare and swop it out after a few years if there is a real concern.

You might buy a decent quality one though, rather than el cheapo from some auction site.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:32   #25

Boat: Gulfstar Sailmaster 47

There are those who believe and those who don’t. Personally I use an electric fuel pump for priming the system.
DirtRdEarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:36   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I can tell you, it’s not a cut, it’s a spilt, it softened over time. Maybe from the fuel or maybe from fuel additives even.
But back to it doesn’t meet the flame resistance requirements and please don’t tell me Diesel fuel doesn’t burn, it’s the same reason you don’t go to Autozone and buy fuel hose, or use automotive fuel filters, because they don’t meet requirements if your a US boat, it’s the law.
I don’t use house wire in my boat either, but I have seen a whole lot of it, and you can argue it works and since it saves a lot of money why not, but I won’t.

I have never seen a fuel bulb rated for Diesel, I assume some may exist but never seen one.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:44   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
If you are going to go through the trouble of putting a picture like that, at least explain how that cut occurred. That looks like a knife cut. Di that burst under pressure? on an negative pressure line? Could you please elaborate on a scenario where a prudent owner would let a cut like that dump 75gal into the bilge. Over what time frame? Under what circumstances?

It just split. He had changed the fuel filters a few days before he noticed the diesel leak and smell. The split was facing away from him, split side towards a bulkhead, and this probably why he never saw it when it happened.. Bulb was pretty hard on the outside but a bit gummy on the inside so I suspect it split while squeezing it, but it took some time for the small split to drain the tank.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:08   #28

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
SAE & ISO

The U.S. Coast Guard addresses fuel line requirements in the code of federal regulations (CFR) that applies to recreational boats: CFR Title 33, Type A1-15.
Ratings & approvals are primarily determined on two factors, permeability and fire resistance. Particularly with volatile gasoline, permeability is a concern due to vapor build up. If it is in an enclosed space "below deck" (Type A) it must not give off explosive vapors. Manufacturers often refer to hose as "above deck"/"topside" (B) or "below deck" (A) hose, which is simply a way of phrasing the permeability rating.
SAE J1527 & ISO Type A1 are a couple fuel line of Standards
The North American rating system for marine hose is known as SAE J1527 and it provides for grades as follows:
A1-fuel feed hose; has a fire resistant cover; is designed to have fuel in the hose at all times. Least permeable with highest fire resistance.
A2-fuel vent hose; has a fire resistant cover; is not designed to have fuel in the hose at all times.
B1-fuel feed hose; without fire resistant cover; is designed to have fuel in the hose at all times; intended for non-enclosed spaces. Diesel engines or above deck outboard gasoline applications.
B2-fuel vent hose; without fire resistant cover; is not designed to have fuel in the hose at all times. Diesel vent lines.
Thanks. Of course that makes perfect sense. If the fuel line hose has to be certified, then certainly the bulb primer has to be as well, and to the same specifications, if it is part of the circuit.

I thought about that after I posted. It turns out I isolated my primer bulb because I was getting air in the line and thought the bulb might be the culprit (it wasn't, the problem was a faulty lift pump). Seems like I more or less brought my boat back in to spec inadvertently.

I think having a primer bulb is very helpful when you need to bleed the system, but you should definitely isolate it so it's not a liability when not in use.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:02   #29

Boat: 34 American Tug

The split bulb in the photo looks exactly like the one I purchased from Harbor Freight. I was attempting to make a device to transfer small amounts of fuel. Worked great for a while, and then it didn't. The bulb body split, the internal check ball dissolved, and the inside surface was sticky. And yes it was advertised for fuel (gasoline, and diesel use) on the actual product packaging. I didn't return it for credit, as it would have meant a two hour drive each way. I however reported the incident by telephone to the store. It was replaced by a similar item from Sierra, which is still working.
Zoidislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:37   #30

The deterioration of these bulbs is most likely from sun which cracks/shrinks any plastic or rubber. And diesel is far less corrosive than gas so if its good for gasoline..diesel is not going to hurt it..

There will always be purists opposing anything not made and sold either by them or their personal friends. The Capt Ron school of do what works is the real final word..Tons of regulations against great stuff, and there is totally approved material which will melt and soften and fail in many conditions. You dont want the list!
doog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel