Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2020, 11:07   #1

Injectors from Cummins B3.3 engine

Does anybody have any experience with injectors from a Cummins B3.3 engine. And maybe experience servicing as there isn't any place to do it on the island I am at
Thanks Bob
Nero3989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 14:46   #2

Re: Injectors from Cummins B3.3 engine

The Cummins B3.3 is a four cylinder industrial engine available in natural aspirated and turbo versions from about 65 to 85 h.p. In the U.S. it was ( is?) converted in limited numbers for marine use by Trans Atlantic Diesel in White Marsh, VA and perhaps others as well.

The fuel system is built by Zexel and is based on the Bosch VE type injection pump. This system should be serviceable just about anywhere that you can find a diesel injection shop or a Cummins outlet.

It’s unlikely that TAD made any changes on the fuel system other than adding an electric lift pump, but you can certainly find out by contacting them by phone or internet.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 08:00   #3

Thanks yes I bought the motor from TAD which came with a parts catalog for the B3.3, the injector in the engine is not the same one as listed in the parts catalog. Unfortunately there is no injection service on this island except for testing. My injector was tested and they said it is not spraying properly. Can i take the injector apart myself and if so could you talk me through it? Would appreciate any help Bob
Old 31-08-2020, 11:14   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

You can carefully take it apart. You may need special tools. Unless you can get internal parts it may not be worth your while. The nozzle has fine holes that determine the spray pattern. These usually wear out to bigger holes and the injector produces large droplets rather than a fine spray. Inside there should be a spring loaded valve that opens with pressure. That can stick partly open so debris from firing gets inside and plugs things up. And the spring can get weak or fail.

If you don't know what you're doing, it might be better to ship the injectors to a shop that can exchange or rebuild them.
If it's an industrial engine, a tractor/farm supply maybe can help.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 11:57   #5

Lepke is correct...cleaning might help, but probably you need a new set of tips.

If you are located somewhere with Fed Ex or other international package service, perhaps you can send an E mail to Marcus at TAD and have him ship a set of new or recon injectors. Probably the easiest and safest way to get back in service.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 17:51   #6

Thanks for your help I won't try and do it myself. Appreciate your input Bob

Tags
engine