Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-09-2011, 20:46   #1

Boat: 42' Cascade Custom Cutter "Sanctuary"
If You're Thinking Yanmar, Think Twice

In 2004 I installed a 4JH4E Yanmar engine in a boat I built. After 7 years and 1,000 hours, the gear-driven cooling water pump began to leak through the ceramic seal, so I bought a kit and rebuilt it. So far so good, but rebuilding the pump is not something you can do on the fly, so I began to think this would be a good time to stock a spare pump. Think again. This gear driven water pump sells for $723 from Yanmar. This for an engine that costs about $8000.
Turns out the pumps are made in Sweden and I could buy one through my parts dealer for $260. But, Yanmar uses a proprietary version of the pump that is identical to the standard except the shaft is 1/2" longer. This means the gear on the standard pump will not mesh with the gear inside the Yanmar engine. You have to pay Yanmar $463 extra for that longer shaft.
My parts man was apologetic, but said I should be thankful I did not need a piston or connecting rod. It appears Yanmar does not want to keep its engines running, it only wants to sell new ones.
Daedalusk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar