Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 12:09   #1

Hydraulic start Perkins

A few months ago we had a discussion about hydraulic starting of marine engines. I had mentioned that I had seen some Perkins for sale with hand pump hydraulic start systems. I just noticed that they are back up on the Portland Oregon Craigs list. An interesting consideration for those of us that dont have much faith in electrics around salt water. For day to day use, I would want one of the 12volt hydraulic pumps that raise and lower stern drives, set up to pressurize the accumulator, and use the hand pump if the electrical system packs up. Portland CR, search "diesel lifeboat" Just some food for thought. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:16   #2

Re: Hydraulic start Perkins

I just went back and searched, and could not find them. You need to search (Diesel life boat) _____Grant.
Old 08-08-2014, 13:24   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I worked on some big Caterpillars that had air start. Hand crank a small diesel/compressor to pump up the air tank. No electrics at all. Mechanical tachs and linked rod throttles and gearboxes.
Old 13-08-2014, 08:20   #4

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

International Harvester had hydraulic start on the rear engine on some of their twin engine scrapers. I always thought it was a excellent idea.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 13:34   #5
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Heavy, complex and not something you want to bleed your HP fuel lines with unless you've got arms like popeye. The spare bottle of nitrogen you will need to carry could be a real pain as well.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 13:57   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

A Hydraulic accumulator can use a mechanical spring, although most do use Nitrogen or at least compressed air.
If you had an air motor as a starter, I'm sure a Scuba tank would easily power it.
If It had decompression levers, I bet a Milwaukee drill that is used to power winches would start a decent sized Diesel too.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 18:40   #7

I wonder just how the weight of a pump, reservoir , and accumulator , compare to the weight of the designated starting battery that we all seem to have? I suspect that the lifeboats that are for sale have very low time engines that have been maintained on a regular basis. Might be an interesting buy for a young (or poor) boat builder. Just some thoughts.________Grant.
Old 14-08-2014, 15:43   #8

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Once had pneumatic start on a giant 2 cylinder Mann on a 90 foot Baltic schooner, but it had flares that we're put in the combustion chamber to warm it up, 3 tanks, 3 tries and you were starting the little compressor to refill the 1200 psi tank for another shot, mostly only ever took 2 tries if you followed the warm up procedure to the T..........
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins