Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2013, 09:55   #1

Boat: Hinterhoeller, Nonsuch 30C 30'
Honda 2.3 hp outboard

Hi, does anyone know howw loud the air cooled honda 2.3 hp outboard is?
Whatugonnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 10:13   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth 31
Re: Honda 2.3 hp outboard

Fairly loud.
elhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 10:13   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I have one and although I don't have any hard numbers (I should think that Honda and other OB makers should have the info in their spec sheets. Subjectively, I would say it is noticeably louder than my 2-stroke, 6 HP. I had a Honda rep at the boat show">Annapolis boat show tell me not to expect the same low sound level of their bigger 4-strokes. One other thing I'm not particularly crazy about is the automatic transmission. That takes a bit of getting used to.

On the other hand I do like the light weight and ease of handling. I set the motor on the side deck, pull the dink alongside and can grab the motor with one hand to mount on the transom. I also like being able to use straight gas without the oil which allows me to have one fuel supply for the outboard and the Honda 2KW.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 11:02   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

My 2 HP one is pretty freaking loud. Enough that if I don't need to I run it slower.

The only real plus to it is that is inexpensive and light.
Old 23-07-2013, 11:18   #5

Loud enough that you can't really have a conversation in the dinghy at a regular volume when you're using it. I've been quite happy with it otherwise.

It's an air cooled engine; no one's tricking anyone into buying one and it says 2.3 on the front. I find it odd that people buy them and then say it's loud and lacking power.

If you want quiet and more power, get a bigger water cooled model.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 11:23   #6

Boat: Gib sea 43

too damn loud and unreliable.. i have one, hated using it, difficult to start and also starts in gear (no gears as such) you have to turn it around for reverse, louder than my 9.8 2 stroke tohatsu!! dont do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 11:30   #7

28 exclamation marks, guess you must be right then.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 11:42   #8
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
too damn loud and unreliable.. i have one, hated using it, difficult to start and also starts in gear (no gears as such) you have to turn it around for reverse, louder than my 9.8 2 stroke tohatsu!! dont do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems you must have got a lemon. Mine usually starts on the first or second pull even if it has not been run in months. You definitely have to close the tank vent and shut off the fuel valve to keep the carb from getting all junked out. I think in future I'll kill the fuel valve and let the motor die of fuel starvation before closing the tank vent. Like I used to do on my 2-strokes.

I admit the lack of reverse is annoying. And it is definitely loud but there was someone else at my marina who had one so I had a chance to try before buying my own. I decided for my needs it filled the job.

Rich
Old 23-07-2013, 11:54   #9

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Its the loadest outboard engine ever made.

Biggest piece of sheet Honda has ever made.

Try taking your dog for a poop at 7am without waking everyone in the harbor.
NOT HAPPINEN
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 13:23   #10
CLOD

mine has started on the second/third easy pull ever since I 'fixed" it last year, because since then it has always dripped fuel from the carb so that the gas doesn't sit and go gunky

it probably would start on the first pull if I waited longer for the carb to refill each time after opening the valve
Old 23-07-2013, 13:43   #11

Mine always starts on the first or second pull. Yes, very loud. Yes, annoying that it starts in gear unless dashing from shore through the surf. The trick is once it starts, close the choke and back off on the throttle - will idle not in gear. Yes, very light and easy to handle. Enough HP to get around but not enough to get the dinghy to plane. Uses gas measured in teaspoons, not gallons!

At the end of the day, I always let it run dry by closing the fuel line; afterwards, I close the air vent. Takes about 10 minutes.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 13:54   #12
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Its the loadest outboard engine ever made.

Biggest piece of sheet Honda has ever made.

Try taking your dog for a poop at 7am without waking everyone in the harbor.
NOT HAPPINEN

Well there are a couple of other contenders for loudest outboard and I will admit that both are air cooled. The first that comes to mind is the British Seagull, which I am happy to admit is slightly before my time. The second is one was made/marketed by Sears Roebuck, I believe it was called the Sportfisher or Gamefisher. I once had three of them. One that ran and the other two for parts.

While not an outboard I would vote for the airboat as the loudest air cooled vessel on the water.

We pays our money and takes our choice.

Regards, Rich
Old 23-07-2013, 14:19   #13

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

It’s just too bad that Honda did not use there Honda 2000 generator engine for this outboard motor.

The Honda 2000 generator engine is whisper quit and it would of made this outboard one of the best engines going.

They have the low sound technology as they show it on their generator and mowers which are air cooled.

They got lazy with the outboard motor design

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 14:30   #14
Eternal Member

Cotemar,

You make an interesting point re: the EU2000 and the outboard. I'd be curious if anyone has actually contacted Honda to ask why. I suspect that the engine of EU2000 doesn't put out 2 HP but that still wouldn't explain why they could not use some of the same technology. At the very least, I plan on going to the Annapolis sail show this year. If I get a chance I'll ask, or if I get frisky I'll e-mail them in the interim.

Rich

ps: Thanks for the you-tube. That's how I like my martinis mixed and in about that quantity.
Old 23-07-2013, 15:02   #15
CLOD

Last I looked a Honda 2HP outboard cost less than the EU2000.

Tags
honda, outboard