Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2024, 16:03   #1

Boat: Islander 36
Fuel Transfer Pump + Jerry Can

I don't use a lot of diesel fuel on my boat. But California environmental regulations have made it very inconvenient to fuel up. Many fuel docks have shut down. My marina doesn't have a fuel dock. Closest one is about ten miles away. Fuel there is priced about 25% higher than at a gas station (despite lower taxes for non-road use).

My fuel tank is 32 gallons. I am guessing I might use 1.5-2.0 tanks a year. Not much, so it naturally occured to me to just refuel using a jerry can. That's not allowed in my marina, and the harbor master has a reputation for being rather, ahem, inflexible.

Refueling directly from a jerry can while under way seems a bit unstable. So I am thinking of buying a cheap fuel transfer pump, maybe something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CP3FYFWF...lig_dp_it&th=1

Then I can lug fuel in jerry can and refuel while outside the marina. Anybody out there doing this? What should I look for in a transfer pump? My primary motivation is convenience, not cost savings. I don't want to scheudle a day trip around refueling. But I don't want to spend a a fortune on a transfer pump either, espeically since I am putting such low volume through it. Apreciate any suggestions or recommendations on pumps?
Old 05-03-2024, 16:19   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: Fuel Transfer Pump + Jerry Can

Say two tanks a year = 64 gallons. Price of diesel say $5.50 per gallon = $352 25% saving on diesel = $88 per annum

Cost of pump + batteries (every 100 gallons) + jugs + un-billed cost of your labor to cart fuel, so pretty marginal over a year and very inconvenient. Now if the cheap pump will last more than a year in a saltwater environment you may be ahead. Then you have to keep it somewhere.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 16:24   #3

Boat: Oyster 435

I regularly fill from jerry cans and use a shaker siphon. About $10, lasts pretty much for ever and doesn't spill a drop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2024-03-05 at 4.17.02 PM.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	287303  
Tsuru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 17:26   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Tsuru got there first. Common device in transferring diesel from deck jugs for cruisers. Indestructible, cheap, effective, no power draw ... the definition of a cruiser tool! Put the jug on the deck next to your diesel fill, put the metal end in your jerry can and vibrate up and down four or five times, wait for siphon to suck the jug dry.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 17:44   #5

Thanks, Tsuru, thanks, John Trusty!

This kind of thing is why I come to Cruisers Forum with stuff like this. I did plenty of siphoning back in the day, but often got a mouthful of diesel. This looks oh so civilized, just like I try to pretend to be these days. Just ordered me one off Amazon.
Old 05-03-2024, 17:47   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Fuel Transfer Pump + Jerry Can

I just use 4ft of 3/4" clear plastic tube and a rag, place the can next to the filler hole and insert tube into can with the rest down the hole.
Seal opening of jerrycan with rag leaving a small opening to one side, take deep breath and blow into hole.
Air pressure starts the flow and Bob's yer uncle..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 17:56   #7

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Gravity feed is OK for filling, sometimes you need to drain the tank into Jerry cans (ege leaking fuel tank) , we bought one of these it was fantastic for emptying and refilling, trigger gun was pretty mess free https://www.harborfreight.com/12-vol...ump-66784.html
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 18:12   #8

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

and find a cheap cooler that can hide the fuel jug, or even the smaller 2-1/2 gal ones.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 18:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
and find a cheap cooler that can hide the fuel jug, or even the smaller 2-1/2 gal ones.
More wisdom of the crowd! I like hte way you think, Jamhass. I was thinking of a cardboard box, but of course a cooler will be much better.
Old 05-03-2024, 18:44   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We've done it with the shaker siphon and in Boatman 61's way. Both work.

Ann & Jim
Old 05-03-2024, 19:16   #11

Boat: Tartan 3800

Our fuel usage is similar to yours and on the whole we find it worthwhile to pay the modest premium in price to have a nearby marina fill our diesel tanks at their fuel dock.

One of our "dock neighbors" has a ~36' cabin cruiser with twin gasoline inboard engines. For his annual week-long trip to the Apostle Islands he tells me he typically burns 300 gallons of gasoline. He uses jerry cans and a battery-powered, explosion-proof transfer pump to load fuel. I think he has 5 jerry cans, 6 gallons each, room for about 125 gallons aboard and has to buy the rest at fuel docks in the Apostles.

Not my jag but we all have our system and our tradeoffs.
Old 05-03-2024, 19:29   #12

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I just use 4ft of 3/4" clear plastic tube and a rag, place the can next to the filler hole and insert tube into can with the rest down the hole.
Seal opening of jerrycan with rag leaving a small opening to one side, take deep breath and blow into hole.
Air pressure starts the flow and Bob's yer uncle..
This. I use a hose of maybe 1.25" ID. It empties my 25 liter jug in less time than I can fill it up at the pump.

If you do this, it's important to fill the container right to the top, or your lungs don't have enough capacity to push the fuel "over the top". I'm sure my big hose doesn't help for that.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 10:42   #13

Boat: TES 246 Versus
Send a message via Skype™ to Tedd

All this siphoning talk is fine so far as it goes, but OP also asked about refilling from a jerry can while underway. I do that quite regularly and use a manual pump similar to this:

https://www.centretank.com/products/...xtraction-pump

The only thing I'm not fully satisfied with about it is that, with gasoline, it needs some kind of lubrication or else the friction gets so high I can't pump it anymore. The only solution I've found is to lube it every time with spray silicone lube. (I'm open to suggestions of a better solution.)

With diesel, I doubt friction would be a problem.
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 10:50   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Fuel Transfer Pump + Jerry Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
All this siphoning talk is fine so far as it goes, but OP also asked about refilling from a jerry can while underway. I do that quite regularly and use a manual pump similar to this:.
I use the hose n blow method at sea all the time.. I always carry spare jugs of fuel as many production boats have inadequate tanks for long voyages.
Also handy if fuel line clogs with gunge, easy to rig a direct feed and return to/from the engine.
Its not difficult.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 15:56   #15

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
Is carrying jerry jugs on deck illegal some places? If so where? That's not something I've heard of before,
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, pump