Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2022, 12:10   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Fuel Consumption 75hp engine..

the freezer was located inside the icebox...should have made that clear...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 16:50   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Boaty, i suppose if you are really pressed you could do SE Spain to Sardinia or even to S Sicily in one hop but i would go to Baleares and then maybe depart from PMahon (always a lovely stop).This way you gain a bit of northerly before reaching the path of the mistral so puts any sort of pre-mistral or after-mistral on yr quarter. Well that is what i did. Take a look at the map and you can see that Carloforte is more or less on yr way to S Sicily but Cagliari is a bit of a diversion. For a passage of that distance (about 6-7 daysto Sicily) i think the SailGrib WR rweather routing App is excellent. Works on Android, not sure about iPad. You need to play with it for a bit to see how it works but it is very clever and very helpful.
Yes, about 2 hrs/day charging would be about right but i split it into 1hr in the morning and 1 hr late afternoon since you otherwise get the diminishing returns in the rate of charge as the voltage builds up.

BTW, I just changed the impeller on my 4JH3-TE. What a nightmare bec you have to do everything by feel since you cannot see it and there is hardly any room for any tools. I would not like to have to do that while on passage. Apparently Yanmar have changed the design so the plate to be removed now faces forwards. Would be best if you had the owner to do it or get a mechanic to do it before you leave. You have about 1,000nm to the Ionian and if there is no wind that is about 200-250 engine hours if there is no wind.
You never mentioned yr point of departure.
Andrew
Old 27-02-2022, 17:16   #33

I run my Perkins 4.236 at 1750 and get a reliable 1.3 gph.

I think your real question is how to optimize amps per hour of engine run time (and fuel consumptjon). Most stock alternators are rated at around 75a, but they rarely put out more than about 60% - and that tapers quickly with FLA as they reach charge. Four 1-hour charge periods every six hours will produce more consumable AH from the alte ator than one 4-hour run.

A boat with refrigeration, electronics, and autopilot will consume around 200ah/day. Depends on your battery size too. I'd probably shoot for keeping the batteries at 50% max DoD, and charging to around 80% DoD. Would be a bit hard on batteries, but would maximize your amps generated compared to run time.

Good luck -

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 17:47   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Fuel Consumption 75hp engine..

Salty.. have done the run across a few times in the past, the last time being March 2019 before Covid closed me down for the next 2 years and a bit.
The jump off point is Cartagena and if I can avoid running NE all the way to Ibiza I will, its roughly 500nm to Cagliari so 4 days... so 2 days to get past the Eastward trend as the front passes, staying in the N trend as the front weakens and veers E, see examples 4/5/6th March.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	108.png
Views:	56
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	253735   Click image for larger version

Name:	132.png
Views:	52
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	253736  

Name:	156.png
Views:	52
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	253737  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 04:22   #35

Boaty, another tip for the habits of this boat. I have a 80Ah alternator but in practice with the batteries discharged to 75-80% i never get much batter than about 40A showing on the CHARGE meter. So you can make the calculation as to how long you might need to run the engine.

I loved Cartagena. Stayed in the western marina which seemed much better equipped with all facilities included in the mooring charge, gym, pool, nice wood-panelled/beamed clubhouse, bar, restaurant. Actually closer to the centre of town than the other marina although from both it is only a short walk. If you need a chandlery i think i remember there being one near the eastern marina which is pretty well-equipped and also has some heavy stuff for all the fishing boats. So is more than just a yachtie type of chandlery.
Old 28-02-2022, 05:10   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah I do like Cartagena myself though I do miss to old town around the harbour before they transformed it to the bland characterless copy off high streets around the world with designer label shops instead of the multitude of little shops, tavernas and restaurants on cobbled streets.
Sad to see so many ports formerly loaded with character falling under this relentless march of conformity..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 28-02-2022, 07:23   #37

I saw it for the first time in 2016 when i stopped there for a few days of rest after Biscay, Portugal, Gib. I guess you have been around as long as Jim Cate (another thread about >70's ...). I never had the pleasure of seeing Cartegena in the old days but it struck me in 2016 as a pleasure to find a historic town with mostly Spaniards instead of being overwhelmed with tourists.
I would love to offer to join and help you, knowing the 43ds so well. I did the same in May last year for a contact who needed help w his Bene 45 from Barcelona to Antibes which was most successful but i have to be back in London for a few things in late Mar & Apr before I can return to my boat, currently at Ranieri/Bari.
Have a good trip.
Andrew
"Genial Bee"
Old 28-02-2022, 10:23   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Did 4 years cruising in the W Med back in the 90's but the change is pretty recent, post 2010.

Old 28-02-2022, 16:25   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Boatie,
As a general rule of thumb....a marine diesel burns about 1 gal for every 22 hp produced..
So a 75 hp engine at 2,000 rpm is likely producing around 22 hp...equaling 1 gallon fuel burn...this is not a hard and fast rule, but a guide
https://www.yanmar.com/marine/wp-con...4-1024x819.jpg
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:52   #40

Mic, you may well be right for the 4JH4-TE Yanmar but Boaty is doing a delivery for a Jeanneau 43ds which has the 4JH3-TE engine and not quite as frugal as the 4JH4-TE which you are showing. Yanmar changed the stroke or bore to get better fuel economy for the 4JH4-TE engine so while the results may be close they are not going to be the same as the earlier model. I know, my boat has the earlier 4JH3-TE ver. Same as the one for which Boaty is doing the delivery.
Andrew
Old 01-03-2022, 08:17   #41

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

A diesel engine produces about 19 HP for every gallon of fuel burned. So if your boat requires 38 HP to cruise at 6 kts, it will burn 2 gph and get 3 nmpg. Ymmv
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:53   #42

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v
4JH4-TE Power & Fuel Use Curves

The one assumption with these charts is that the engine can reach the max 3200 RPM @ WOT under way in still conditions with whatever prop and reduction gear you have.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2022-03-01 082206.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	253803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-03-01 082351.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	253804  

PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:48   #43

Listen you guys. You can say what you like but i have exactly the same boat (Jeanneau 43ds) That Boaty needs to take across to Greece and i know over many thousands of miles exactly what my engine consumes. A fraction under 3 litres /hr at 2,100 (+/-100) rpm and speed 5.5 - 6 knots will depend if hull is clean or not.

Boaty was asking about the consumption of a Jeanneau 43ds. So, say what you like but i know the figure from personal experience.
Andrew
Old 04-03-2022, 10:14   #44

Dear boat designers/builders, When you make a vessel in the +40’ range and call it cruiser, you need to put more tankage aboard!! 52 gals is pitiful. This is why I see fellow cruisers with jerry jugs all over the boat! They design these boats for condo like interiors and to hell with tankage. Especially fuel. And PS. You can make water with just the energy of a solar panel. You CAN’T make fuel. I think a hundred gals should be minimum for a cruiser in or around the mid forties length.

My KP 44 had 140. My Cal had 270. No need for jerry jugs here! The KP 44 came with a hundred and I converted a water tank to fuel. All worked quite well. I installed a Spectra water maker. Loved it.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:26   #45

Boat: Baltic 51 CB

A good rule of thumb for fuel consumption is:
1 litre/hr per 10 hp
That means 7.5 l/hr for your 75 hp engine at max cruise
That works out to 1 litre per nautical mile. So your range is the size of your fuel tank in litres.
Most economical speed will be about 2/3 throttle.

Tags
consumption, engine, fuel