Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2016, 10:20   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Disposing of unwanted old diesel fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
How much fuel are you talking about?
You beat me to that.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 10:31   #17

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
Post a note on the marina notice board "free diesel, bring your own jerry cans" and folks will be glad to oblige. 4 years old means nothing with diesel. If there's contamination just tell it needs to be filtered and polished. No need to make it a big issue.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 17:22   #18

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

buy an extra inline fuel filter and electric pump / you may need to pump tank 1 into a drum through the filter then pump 2 to 1, 3to2, 4 to 3, all through the filter then the drum back into 4 all through the filter of course / if your diesel does indeed contain fuel bug you may need to change the filter during the process / would give you a chance to check each tank for sediment / there is no telling that your new fuel hasn't been sitting around in storage tanks for years and may not be an improvement / that's assuming you are changing to diesel outboards
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 18:18   #19

Ft Pierce used to get shrimpers that would come in for the winter months. Contact a shrimper and let them know you have old fuel available free for the taking.

I made some shrimper in Tarpon Springs very happy when I got rid of 400 gallons of seven year old diesel fuel from a Marine Trader 44 that I was rebuilding.

MV
veinermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 18:20   #20

Boat: Intrepid 9 meter, 29.5 feet

I put my old diesel fuel in my storage tank for my home furnace. Used to use one 5 gal. poly jug with several trips, I'm not sure I can get a full jug up the companionway ladder now.
Old Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 18:31   #21

I would like to come and get that diesel.i have a 90 and 120 gallon tanks on my truck plus have a electric pump.can also bring 20 gallon tanks to pump onto and wheel down the dock.PM me im not to far from ft pierce.
Old 19-12-2016, 19:35   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Swampy View Post
I put my old diesel fuel in my storage tank for my home furnace. Used to use one 5 gal. poly jug with several trips, I'm not sure I can get a full jug up the companionway ladder now.
Haha, Swampy and I are getting a kick out of all these Floridians worrying about how to get rid of old diesel fuel. Up here in the Great White North, where half the homes run on #2 heating oil, a simple add on Craigslist would take care of it in an hour.

I guess those southerners get the last laugh though: it was -5F last night at my house...
RidgeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 20:54   #23

83 degrees in florida today so i made a snowman out of sand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floridasnowman.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	138253  
Old 20-12-2016, 04:52   #24

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. We have 4 tanks, three of which have fuel in them but I don't know the size of the tanks or exactly how full they are, the one we did check was fairly full, I am assuming that we may have about 100 gals. We live in northern Minnesota and have only spent a few days at the boat planning for the work trip we will be making this week. My son and I work at a large marina on lake superior and one of our mechanics heats with oil and takes all the used diesel we get here but we will not have room in the trailer to bring it back. We will be abandoning the tanks and installing new poly tanks in self draining lockers on the bridgedeck for gasoline to feed the outboards so we will be cleaning out the existing built in tanks and cutting them out when we get the boat home this summer which opens up some pretty useful space.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 04:56   #25

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker37 View Post
I would like to come and get that diesel.i have a 90 and 120 gallon tanks on my truck plus have a electric pump.can also bring 20 gallon tanks to pump onto and wheel down the dock.PM me im not to far from ft pierce.
Striker37, this is exactly what I started the thread for, I will pm you as soon as I get off here. Should be able to pump directly into the truck as the boat is out of the water.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 07:29   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

put it into jugs and carry it to the fuel station where in many locales exist recycling bins--in barra de navidad they are very happy to take the old fuel and old oil into theirs--had the lady in barra walked only 100 more yards she would have been totally legal and segundino or whomever was the harbormaster would have been more constrained in his welcoming of you. ha ha ha ha ha
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 07:52   #27

Boat: Camano Troll

If you are giving away free fuel to somebody and there is a screwup and ten or twenty gallons goes into the water, who deals with the USCG and EPA? Who pays the fines?
Old 20-12-2016, 10:15   #28

Boat: Beneteau 393

Just out of curiosity, why convert from inboard diesel to gas outboard?
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 11:07   #29

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If you are giving away free fuel to somebody and there is a screwup and ten or twenty gallons goes into the water, who deals with the USCG and EPA? Who pays the fines?
Ron, ten or twenty gallons a few drops is enough. But then again the sky might fall.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 11:17   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

We do this all the time; simple: use a FloJet or similar diaphram pump (cheap and moves fuel well); that and a few Harbor Freight garden hoses ($25/100') and you can move fuel from one boat to another many slips away. We just transferred 275G from a leaky trawler tank a few days ago; and yes, we didn't charge!
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, wanted