Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2016, 05:00   #31

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Re: Disposing of unwanted old diesel fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stillwell View Post
Just out of curiosity, why convert from inboard diesel to gas outboard?
The boat was damaged in Andrew and the diesels were removed for whatever reason and there is a new Kubota and a rebuilt one sitting uninstalled in the saloon and one new saildrive only, the problem is that neither are marinised so would take a lot of chasing down parts etc and in short would be a lot more difficult for us to get to a boat we can motor away with than installing outboards which would be our preference anyway. Keep in mind that we live 1500 miles away from Ft Pierce and we have limited time to get this done as we want to be heading north on the icw in may. My son and I both work in the marine industry so we do understand better than most what it can take to get engines in and functioning especially when you are away from your support system which will be a lot easier with new motors ,tanks etc. We will have two engines and a new saildrive for sale after we get down there.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 05:07   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If you are giving away free fuel to somebody and there is a screwup and ten or twenty gallons goes into the water, who deals with the USCG and EPA? Who pays the fines?
The boat is out of the water so no cg involvement, this is not rocket science and needs to happen. There is some risk when doing anything, Just getting out of bed in the morning is a risk.

Steve.
Old 21-12-2016, 06:32   #33

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
The boat was damaged in Andrew and the diesels were removed for whatever reason and there is a new Kubota and a rebuilt one sitting uninstalled in the saloon and one new saildrive only, the problem is that neither are marinised so would take a lot of chasing down parts etc and in short would be a lot more difficult for us to get to a boat we can motor away with than installing outboards which would be our preference anyway. Keep in mind that we live 1500 miles away from Ft Pierce and we have limited time to get this done as we want to be heading north on the icw in may. My son and I both work in the marine industry so we do understand better than most what it can take to get engines in and functioning especially when you are away from your support system which will be a lot easier with new motors ,tanks etc. We will have two engines and a new saildrive for sale after we get down there.

Steve.
Can you give us more info on the engines?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 08:04   #34

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post

Steve.
Sounds like a good move being that fare from home. What type of cat? I am assuming the old saildrives are still there keeping the water out? Wait is the plan, removing the wheels and worry about doing something else when home?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 15:12   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Can you give us more info on the engines?
The engines are Kubota model V1505, apparently one is new and the other rebuilt but unfortunately we have no paperwork with them as we never got to deal with the owner at all and the broker was not able to get answers to many of the questions we asked. We do believe them to be as represented just by looking at them. They are industrial engines as used in many types of application such as forklifts and skid steers etc and are complete minus exhaust manifolds and of course trannys. There is only one saildrive which is also supposed to be new and again looks that way but we wont know the details until we get down there. the saildrive is not installed. We will be glassing the holes shut as well as intakes and exhaust holes. Pm if interested and I will put you in touch with my son.

Steve.
Old 22-01-2017, 08:07   #36

Just an update, we had a very busy and productive work trip to the boat and have it ready to float when we get back in May after we hang the new motors. Striker 37 came and picked up the old diesel and everything went well without problems, thanks John, very much appreciated.

Steve.
Old 22-01-2017, 10:32   #37

Thanx steve.I got about 80 gallons and it only had about a gallon of water in it that i drained off after i let it settle for a week.Then ran a vacuum on the rest of the fuel in the tank to dewater any suspended water.My truck loves it.

Tags
diesel, fuel, wanted