Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2010, 08:21   #16

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
My Universal diesel has a seperate glow plug momentary switch on the engine panel. Procedure is turn ignition to on (oil pressure buzzer will sound) hold down the "preheat" (glowplug) momentary switch for about 20 seconds, release, then turn the key to start position and engine will crank and start. I usually crack the throttle about 1/4 before cranking. Make sure the shutdown button is pushed all the way in. Mine will not start if it is out only 1/4" or more. Sounds like you need to bleed the lines first.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 17:15   #17

Boat: ODAY 28
I think you should check the fuel system first, fiter should be full. I would make sure you are getting fuel to the engine
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 18:51   #18

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Ditto.. NO ETHER .. Fix the real problem. Fuel. Bleed to the lnjection pump, Crack the 17mm (11/16) nuts at the lnjector untll they piss when turning the engine over with the starter. STOP....Tightennuts, .... Give the glow plugs 20 sec. (key switch positon just befor start.) then start.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 20:01   #19

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Man I should have read this before I tried to push start my boat like I use to do with my Harley.

No all jokes aside, do not use Ether it will damage the motor. have a friend help you bleed the lines, all filters should be full so there is a sign air is in the system. the finger priming pumps suck either buy a cheap electric inline priming pump or open the line at each injector one at a time until you have clean fuel while your friend is turning the motor over.

Best of luck,

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 20:05   #20

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
The sky is falling...........I need to get that follow up viedo posted...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 05:01   #21

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
I am not sure how your exhaust is set up. Be careful of turning the engine over too much at once without exhaust presure to keep the cooling water out of the engine if it is set up that way...
Let us know how it's going!
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 05:06   #22
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by joburnet View Post
Surprising I know. It's a 25HP Universal diesel engine in a 30' O'day sailboat. I turn the key to start the glow plugs and the glow plugs stay on for a long long time, greater than 20 seconds. Are glow plugs normally on a timer or temperature sensor? So when I finally turn it over it tries for a little bit but does not start.

I did notice that when I look at the fuel filter, there is fuel in it but it's not full. Is this normal and if not is there a way to prime the fuel? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Would ne nice if you posted hat the problem turned out to be.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 05:20   #23

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
johnr, l use a simple outboard primer bulb BEFORE the filters to make it easy.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 05:49   #24

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
I have a primer bulb on mine and man it help me one time.

Heading out the MayPort inlet about to pass the last marker , on this day the weather was not the best well for some reason the motor died, I tried to restart it but nothing, I was not in a good place at all to be without motor and heading into the wind, I came about gotthe main up had the wife take the helm while I went below to see what the problem was, I had fuel in the filters but none to the injectors. as it turn out the pickup tube was plugged up and I was able to see this because the bulb pump was flat. I took the line apart blew on the line and was able to get back under way, by the time i made it back to the dock the bulb had a hole in it.

I have taken the tank out and cleaned it whit never another problem.

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 09:32   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradG View Post
I am not sure how your exhaust is set up. Be careful of turning the engine over too much at once without exhaust presure to keep the cooling water out of the engine if it is set up that way...
Let us know how it's going!
Thanks Conrad:

I keep forgetting to mention that....I always shut my sea cock after shutting down the engine before leaving the boat or spending a night on the hook and don't open them again until after it fires ..We hang our Ignition key on the Sea Cock so there is no way to forget its closed...So my own procedure blanks that possibility out of my mind all the time.. Good call!..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 21-02-2010, 09:47   #26

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Good procedure! It makes sense. But for those who might not think of it or even know about it, I thought I would mention it. It would be too bad to have all the good advice end up with some unnescessary toubles, possibly severe ones! Another reason for doing it with someone familiar the first time. It really isn't complicated. The sky shouldn't fall. But....anything is possible...
Would be nice to know how things are going though...
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 10:30   #27

I haven't had a lot of time to mess with it but finally started working on it yesterday and today. I bled the fuel line so that it definitely has fuel going into the engine. I didn't try bleeding it at the injectors because I didn't see any bleed valves, not that familiar with diesel engines. The batteries are fully charged now and have no problem turning over the engine. The procedure is to turn on the glow plugs for 20 seconds and then turn it over while giving it some throttle. When I do this I get smoke coming out the back and I also get some fairly dirty water.

You need heat and fuel to get smoke so it seems to me that the engine is getting fuel and the glow plugs are working. Either may not be working well enough for the engine to start, I really don't know. The water puzzles the **** out of me. Could someone please explain to me how 3-4 oz of water would be coming out the back every 2-3 seconds, from the same place the smoke is coming from?
joburnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 10:37   #28

You need to bleed the injectors and she will fire...There is no bleed screws you have to loosen the 5/8 to 13/16" nuts or the meteric eqivilents that the fuel line disappears into and crank the engine till bubble free fuel comes out...Read my first post again..but as Conrad mentioned keep the sea cock close till she fires.

The white smoke is telling you its getting fuel and wanting to start..and yes it is from heat but not from your preheaters just from compression..its a good sign at this point.

I will take a picture for you.

Old 16-03-2010, 11:09   #29

OK ...I just ran out to the yard an snapped a couple examples off a couple different engines.

The return line is the one that goes from injector to injector which in these examples is on the lower side of the injectors..You do not want to loosen those...Just the main feed line that disappears into the injector...On a Perkins 100 and 200 series the fuel return line is on top of the injector and the main feed line is on the side...Here it is reverse which is the most common.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0399.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	324.8 KB
ID:	13900   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0401.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	13901  

Old 16-03-2010, 11:10   #30

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a sea cock and how to I close it?
joburnet is offline   Reply With Quote