Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2016, 09:23   #16

Boat: Catalina MkII 42
Re: Diesel Fuel Overflow line

My previous boat, an Ericson, had a vent outlet on the transom more than an arms length from the filler pipe. I bought a drip catcher designed for that purpose sold at the fuel dock. It was to be held in place with suction cups that never worked. I put two snap fasteners with an elastic strap to hold the drip catcher bottle in place. Worked great and allowed me to refuel safely without a crew member.
Old 30-08-2016, 09:35   #17

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNMARDALL View Post
...The suggestion to blow the vent line out with compressed air, toward the tank, with the fill cap off, is a good one...
Sorry but this is not a good idea.

Don't apply any more pressure than just blowing your breath into the line . That will tell you if there is an obstruction. If there is an obstruction, you probably don't want it inside your tank, either. So remove and clean or replace vent hose.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 10:18   #18

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

I guess too much time at sea affects reading comprehension.

Quote:
When we started fueling, almost immediately the diesel OVERFLOW LINE high on the transom started leaking diesel
He said the VENT line started puking fuel. Everybody then came onboard stating it was plugged vent. He did NOT say the fuel was coming out of the fill pipe, but rather the VENT.
BTW, the idea of a water/fuel catcher in the vent line is a good idea, I'll put that on my to do list.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 10:22   #19

It's very common to have that happen when filling. However you say it didn't before? That seems strange. My theory is that any horizontal run in the vent line causes it. Fuel sits in the line low spot, when you fill, the air pressure burps that fuel to the outside vent constantly. Check your vent line runs and see if there is any way to make the horizontal section run only up hill to the vent, even if just slightly so.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 13:52   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

I have a Vetus splash stop installed and vent is in cockpit. It totally solved my slow fill problems... I would recommend it to anyone...
artisanmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 17:58   #21

Look folks this is really quite simple. If fuel is trapped in a low spot in the vent hose, when you start filling the tank the increasing air pressure inside the tank eventually expels some or all of the trapped fuel out the vent. The velocity with which it is expelled directly related to how fast you try to fill.

Vent lines need a continual downward slope so they don't trap fuel and quit working.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 19:17   #22

Boat: Ranger 33'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alika View Post
I installed a trap for diesel bubbles right at the vent line exit from the boat. It is a re-purposed water line filter. It has a drain plug at the bottom, the cylinder is clear so it is easy to look in the lazarette and view any diesel that needs to be drained off. Also plan to fit it with a desiccant in the airway to prevent moist air entering the vent line. I should patent it.
The action of the boat with a diesel tank near full will cause diesel fuel to bubble up in the vent line and even the most vertical vent hose is not always so vertical when the boat heels.
Practical Sailor has already talked about this it is called H2O gas vent filter, very good for gasoline tanks with ethanol in the fuel. Concerning the desiccant for moisture infiltration.
roygee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel