Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2019, 11:20   #1

Boat: 1977 Viking 43 DCMY
Detroit Diesel 671 Transmission Oil

Followup to my previous thread about 671 oil. I checked my transmission oil as well, and realized the starboard engine is quite low. I know the DD 671 transmission takes the same 40wt oil as the engine itself, and that I need to fill through the dipstick, my question is:

Any idea what a typical amount of oil is between min and max for the transmission? I assume that its around 1 qt but wanted to ask before I start with 1/2 quart. Thanks for your help and knowledge!

Dan
R1Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 14:06   #2

Re: Detroit Diesel 671 Transmission Oil

There are a variety of transmissions that could be fitted to your 6-71 engines......Allision, Twin Disc, ZF, Capitol, etc. You need to check the ID tag on the gear box for the builder and the model of the transmission then you can find out the capacity and oil type.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:04   #3

Boat: 1977 Viking 43 DCMY
Re: Detroit Diesel 671 Transmission Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
There are a variety of transmissions that could be fitted to your 6-71 engines......Allision, Twin Disc, ZF, Capitol, etc. You need to check the ID tag on the gear box for the builder and the model of the transmission then you can find out the capacity and oil type.

DougR
Thanks. Looks like they are Twin Disc. Cant see model/serial number as the plaque is eroded and cant get close enough to look hard. However I could barely read on the Marine Transmission Lubrication plate 2 overlapping temp ranges with SAE 30 and SAE 40 listed. SAE 40 is what the engines use.

The dip stick was showing way way low at the bottom far below "low" (I did not check at idle/neutral after a warm up however, will do that this weekend.) I understand that cold, the dipstick should read over full. So I added a quart of SAE 40 as it was clearly way too low to at least get it into range. Put it in between low and high. Will run this weekend to heat it up and will check again at correct conditions.

Thanks again!
R1Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, oil, transmission