Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2019, 20:25   #31
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Chinese engines - Houfeng HF Power

Hmm... apparently the Chinese space program is going well so they must be able to get something right
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 16-11-2019, 21:03   #32

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
Not buying it.

I mean between their social credit score, the self appointed life time king, the protests, the pollution, lack of nearly any freedoms compared to the US, yeah, that’s a big can of nooope
The lack of knowledge shown here is breathtaking.Self appointed lifetime king indeed.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 16-11-2019, 21:17   #33

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
The lack of knowledge shown here is breathtaking.Self appointed lifetime king indeed.
Tyrant, party leader, big kahunna, whatever the dude removed term limits for himself, bumped up their already crazy censorship, I mean one could go on for days on all that makes china such a human rights, environmental and over all anti freedom place. The big question is who on earth would want to defend it?

I mean lest we even talk about doc 9
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Document_Number_Nine

There is a reason people view items made in china the way they do.
Old 16-11-2019, 21:29   #34

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hmm... apparently the Chinese space program is going well so they must be able to get something right
Not to mention 600kph 327mph magnetic levitation trains.
Old 16-11-2019, 21:31   #35

Quote:
Not buying it.

I mean between their social credit score, the self appointed life time king, the protests, the pollution, lack of nearly any freedoms compared to the US, yeah, that’s a big can of nooope
Funniest thing I've read all day
You truly are the gift that keeps on giving
Keep up the good work
Old 16-11-2019, 21:46   #36

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Didnt read all the posts, but growing up in fiji off grid, my dad decided that we need to switch to a diesel 12kw generator as our gas 4kw generator was too small for our loads.

He found a chinese generator that was similar to the enclosed Cummins generators. It ran for about a year on a weekly basis before the thing died. We had to make new brushes for the generator. After about another year, the engine side where the generator mounted to had a complete stripped the hole where the key locked into. I have never seen anything like that before.

I'd choose another brand and fork out the cash if your replacing
Old 17-11-2019, 00:12   #37

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I have direct experience with a Chinese diesel generator. Threw a rod after less than 20 hours. No parts available so I had to throw it away. Hard lesson learned.
Old 17-11-2019, 01:48   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I have direct experience with a Chinese diesel generator. Threw a rod after less than 20 hours. No parts available so I had to throw it away. Hard lesson learned.

This guy bought an American Jeep and its a steaming pile of shyte

Gong on your logic and that of the poster above, ALL american stuff must be steaming piles of shyte
Avoid American made product like the plague., it'll give you nothing but grief.

https://www.choice.com.au/transport/...on-jeep-120417
Old 17-11-2019, 02:52   #39

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
This guy bought an American Jeep and its a steaming pile of shyte

Gong on your logic and that of the poster above, ALL american stuff must be steaming piles of shyte
Avoid American made product like the plague., it'll give you nothing but grief.

https://www.choice.com.au/transport/...on-jeep-120417
The OP asked for first hand experience with Chinese engines. I assume we don't have too many people here who have run fleets of Chinese engines.

How on Earth do you expect me to have experience with more than one Chinese engine???

Further, why are you attacking me saying I have faulty logic for sharing my first hand experience and answering the OP's question??

Do you make a living off Chinese engines or some other kind of Chinese imports? Why would you have such and absolutely off the wall reaction to someone sharing their first hand experience with a Chinese engine?

Further, I didn't even say all Chinese engines are shyte. I said my Chinese engine threw a rod at less than 20 hours and I had to throw out the generator because there are no parts available.

PS:. The link isn't all that far off. Most American vehicles ARE steaming piles of shyte. Lol. German too. Japanese and Korean vehicles seem to run the best in my first hand experience. I'm great at fixing cars thanks to having owned plenty of American and a single German one.
Old 17-11-2019, 07:40   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Funniest thing I've read all day
You truly are the gift that keeps on giving
Keep up the good work
I think you and I just have differing opinions on the importance of freedom and the environment, as well as the level of quality we personally feel comfortable with in marine equipment.
Old 17-11-2019, 07:55   #41

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Given that this forum is aimed at people who explore the world on boats the level of hostillity and fear or the 'other' expressed is surprusing and in some cases racist. Think about why you hold these view, are they from experience, hearsay, or just predudice.
Old 17-11-2019, 08:10   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Given that this forum is aimed at people who explore the world on boats the level of hostillity and fear or the 'other' expressed is surprusing and in some cases racist. Think about why you hold these view, are they from experience, hearsay, or just predudice.

Not sure if that was for me, I have zero issue with the Chinese people for the most part, it’s china I have a issue with, I think many in china agree as can be seen from the protests and people looking to go beyond the great firewall of china, also china isn’t a race it’s a nation.

Some of my Chinese friends agree with lots of the issues in china too, there is a reason they don’t go back all that often and a good reason they choose to live in the states vs china.
Per engines, it might not be PC but quality of life goes into the quality of the product, and communist countries have historically always had iffy at best quality when it comes to both.
Off the cuff I doubt I’d recommend a engine made in china, communist Russia, north korea, etc. And it’s not just me, I mean the Chinese people wouldn’t buy a car/complex machine from there ether if given the option and $$.

Old 17-11-2019, 08:34   #43

Boat: 38' self built cutter (1990)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post

Thank you, this is precisely my view. I tried only to start a technical discussion.

I am not biased towards UE, where I live, nor towards USA, or China or Japan. Being very open minded, during my life I owned and tested cars built by Italian, German, American, Japanese, French and Russian companies. Worst experience in metallurgical quality was the Russian Uaz, in build quality the Italian Fiat Croma and the French Simca, best experience with Honda Prelude and Legend and Toyota land Cruiser and Rav4, followed by Audi 90 and Volkswagen Golf and Scirocco, American Chrysler (Voyager) score is the in the middle. All IMHO.

So, I am still trying to understand the level of development of Chinese diesel engines, that I believe from many signals could be way more advanced than Russian manifacture in the seventies, but at the same time I fear the possible flaws in a mass production still to be refined.

Anyway, I thank you all for your contributions.
Old 17-11-2019, 08:43   #44

Quote:
Not buying it.

This is really a complex issue, and there's no insight to be gained from oversimplifiication by either side.

When Nixon made overtures to China in the 70s, it was the start of the transformation of a secretive, threatening militaristic giant into a world economic partner. Basically, China was persuaded to buy into the global economy, becoming a "member" instead of a dangerous outsider. And it's pretty much worked; China has not been the world threat it could have been, the lot of the Chinese people has (with exceptions) been markedly improved, and the rest of the world has profited from this new source of low-cost manufacturing and now a potent new market. It's not perfection, but it beats war with China, right? Or have we so quickly forgotten the Vietnam war?

I've worked with many 1st generation descendents of Chinese immigrants, and I am friends with a few recent immigrants and entrepreneurs. While we can easily point to the very serious sins of the Chinese rulers and the lack of many freedoms and rights that we here take for granted, it's still true that the quality of life for the average Chinese citizen has improved greatly. The new economic power of the Chinese citizen will probably be more effective in pushing the Chinese regime towards reforms than any campaign of military intimidation, propaganda or sanctions.

It is simply not possible to live normally in North America and successfully boycott Chinese goods. Just about everything sold here that involves technology, metalwork or assembly has Chinese input. US autos have parts made in China. US Milk has (or had) ingredients from China. Gerber & Leatherman - those proud US makers of quality multitools (I have too many ) outsource the manufacturing some of their products, and a few of the components in their "US-made" products. It's just the way of things, it's unavoidable, when profit is on the table.

I could go deeper into how silly it is to pick a trade-war with China over agreements that US companies happily signed onto, and benefitted from, but that would be going too political.
[derail ends; let's discuss actual experience with Chinese-branded engines ]
Old 17-11-2019, 09:02   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Chinese engines - Houfeng HF Power

Speaking of Russian designed and manufactured Diesels, look up the engine used in the WWII Russian T-34 tank. It was I believe a double overhead cam aluminum block Diesel.
Now this was the time the Americans were having to put Aircraft engines into tanks because automotive engine designs of the era didn’t even have pressurized oil lubrication, and the Russians have a double overhead cam, V12 aluminum block Diesel?
They know their stuff, I don’t know where or why that doesn’t carry over though.
Closed Thread

Tags
engine