Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2014, 14:18   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Cheap guy needs advice on servicing raw water pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Thanks everyone, considering I am only leaking water isn't it more than likely just the seal is bad?
Yes indeed, but the shaft may be scored. If so, either the "speedi-sleeve" or simply moving the shaft or the seal location enough to get the lip of the seal on a better spot will help out.

Oh... you might as well replace the impeller too... if you hadn't already thought of that!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 18-01-2014, 19:31   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
My Jabsco water pump">raw water pump has been leaking water, (No oil) pretty good for some time now, . Just got a price for the service kit that does not include the shaft, $380.00. So considering the guts are some small bearings, o-rings and the like, holy sh-t. I have seen a couple of threads here and I know that Maine Sail has a nice instructional piece about how to service this type of pump I am thinking that I will take the pump off, break it down and order the individual small components from individual suppliers. The pump currently fitted is a Jabsco 3270-0001. Does this sound like a sound plan?
To answer what you're really concerned with...Yes...easy to rebuild. I've gone to Motion Industries and for under $40 had a rebuilt water pump. Now...In a case like a 4-108 the water pump is not driven by a belt, like a 4-107. It's driven by a timing gear behind the timing cover. It also has a seal. Many 108s have been destroyed that way...salt water intrusion. No matter what, if the seal is bad, the bearing has had salt water run through it. So replace it also.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 06:37   #18

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
To answer what you're really concerned with...Yes...easy to rebuild. I've gone to Motion Industries and for under $40 had a rebuilt water pump. Now...In a case like a 4-108 the water pump is not driven by a belt, like a 4-107. It's driven by a timing gear behind the timing cover. It also has a seal. Many 108s have been destroyed that way...salt water intrusion. No matter what, if the seal is bad, the bearing has had salt water run through it. So replace it also.
The oil side of the pump has the bearing before the bearing is the weep hole were the water was leaking, bearing and shaft appear to be in fine shape, will replace the water and oil seal as well as the impeller and reassemble.

Impeller was missing a couple of vanes, think I will pull the heat exchanger tube bundle for a cleaning and inspection.
Old 19-01-2014, 10:38   #19

Quote:
The oil side of the pump has the bearing before the bearing is the weep hole were the water was leaking, bearing and shaft appear to be in fine shape, will replace the water and oil seal as well as the impeller and reassemble.

Impeller was missing a couple of vanes, think I will pull the heat exchanger tube bundle for a cleaning and inspection.
Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it. When you're finished you'll want to go into the raw water pump rebuild business considering how much profit they make...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 19-01-2014, 10:52   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it. When you're finished you'll want to go into the raw water pump rebuild business considering how much profit they make...
Actually thinking I would like to buy some dusty old saloon instead. All BS aside I am a little concerned as it appears that the prior owner rebuilt thins pump and added an extra component that I can't find on the factory mechanical and reassembly of instruction sheet. The water seal sit just under the wear plate and he had what looked like a little rubber donut sitting on top of the seal between the wear plate. Nowhere in any of Jabscos info is there a listing for this part.
Old 19-01-2014, 13:45   #21

Quote:
Actually thinking I would like to buy some dusty old saloon instead. All BS aside I am a little concerned as it appears that the prior owner rebuilt thins pump and added an extra component that I can't find on the factory mechanical and reassembly of instruction sheet. The water seal sit just under the wear plate and he had what looked like a little rubber donut sitting on top of the seal between the wear plate. Nowhere in any of Jabscos info is there a listing for this part.
That definitely does not sound right. Plan B might be to find one on ebay or craigslist (like new/used) and use the other as a spare.
Old 19-01-2014, 17:06   #22

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

There is usually an o-ring placed in the space between the water and oil seals to act as a sling washer to push water out the weep hole so that it doesn't cross to the oil seal side. The PO may have placed that in the wrong place when he rebuilt it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 05:08   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
There is usually an o-ring placed in the space between the water and oil seals to act as a sling washer to push water out the weep hole so that it doesn't cross to the oil seal side. The PO may have placed that in the wrong place when he rebuilt it.

Mark
Thank you that was is was thinking, the part list calls it an o ring slinger and there was nothing installed there in the pump when I broke it down.

Thanks.
Old 20-01-2014, 05:54   #24

Forgot to mention the seals appear to be made by a company called KOK, was able to get info off the water seal none from the oil seal.
Old 01-09-2014, 19:39   #25

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: Johnson pump on a yanmar 2GM

Removed my Johnson pump as it is leaking a steady stream. I see a circlip at the pulley end (soaking in PB Blaster now). Can I just press the shaft out after removing the circlip? Did not find a Utube for rebuilding this pump - any guidelines? Will take the bearings and seals to Motion Industries for new ones. The replacement impeller says "F4 Series".
Ed
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 20:03   #26

Compass Marine How To Articles Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

Scroll and learn.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 22:38   #27

Boat: 52' Crealock Farrington staysail schooner

So ok cheap is good and seamanlike and very Scottish. But raw water for your engine is one of the most critical systems. engine overheats and you replace the engine or rebuild the engine or at least the top end. Great if you can rebuild the pump but it should last quite a long while with just impellar replacement. Overheating is the thing you dont ever want to happen. have spares if they are a part that wears out often. Great to know all the rebuild tricks but dont keep a pump that has been nursed along with patches. Replace it.
barnaclejim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, raw water, raw water pump, water