Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2021, 21:58   #16

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Re: Can I remove outboard trim plate ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastaway View Post
My thinking is that if you just cut off enough of the ventilation plate to give you the 3 degrees that you are looking for it would finish up being very close to the back of the well. i.e. where the shortened plate finished the bottom of the hull would take over. It would also leave enough material to re-fix a flat plate if everything went south or if you wanted to re-purpose the engine for a different application in the future. Nice shiny new bit to be cutting up, I can see it now.....big breath, no turning back now - hoping that you don't find out that it's filled with oil and springs and an important looking flux capacitor. What could possibly go wrong!!
Hahahaha, yep something's wrong in the world the day I'll sit down with a cut-off blade in my angle grinder and go all Mad Max on it, but the day is coming.
Old 07-12-2021, 21:59   #17

I know - crazy right, it's almost like the manufacturer expected that someone would fit it to a transom.
Kastaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 22:04   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvR View Post
I agree, leave it, it is a useful trim tab and often the anode.
I notice in your pic though that you leave your outboard in the water! This is the easiest way to ruin an outboard, as growth in the water intake (as you see) will eventually cut off sufficient cooling water, and it will seize.

Leave the tab, and tilt the motor up, always except at a busy dingy dock.
Nope, t!he image is taken looking up. The motor pulls straight up on slides and is clear of the water when parked and when sailing, this is all about closing off the hole in the bottom of the hull to reduce drag and add a lot of bouyancy.
Old 07-12-2021, 22:04   #19

Thinwaters probably right - I'm going to be looking for your future post headed..... "Is Devcon ok to glue ventalation plate back on to outboard ?"
Kastaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 22:06   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
Well, saildrives don't have an anti-cavitation plate, and what he wants to do is more akin to a saildrive, so it may not be a problem. I say "may not" because the water in the well does have a free surface, but the water may be deep enough to preclude cavitation.
The well will be sealed off when the motor is down and up. I agree, I think it is a non-issue.
Old 07-12-2021, 22:13   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Yes you can, but only the minimum to get the clearance you want.
In a motor well, your still not very deep.

How is the hole smaller if you cut?
Are you looking to tilt it for draft issues or to make the well opening smaller?
Or, just to be able to get the lower end thru the well hole?
There may be a better way.

There maybe cavitation, in waves.
Sail drives are so deep there's not really wave issues that deep.

I would limit the cut to the middle of the trim tab zinc, as the some of the uptake is in that plastic screen.
And, I'd consult a breakdown of the lower end first.
Boatyarddog
I'm going to fit a cover over that big hole in the hull, through that cover plate I'll just make a hole 15mm bigger that the silhouette of the leg. I will probably cut it just level with the back of the trim tab. When the leg is down a plate attached further up the leg will come down and blank the hole. When the leg is up I'll have a door that swings down and seals it and a self bailer to drain the well.

But yes, I will find out what's in there first.
Old 07-12-2021, 22:17   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
So, we think that plate is there because the manufacture had extra aluminum to get rid of? Every manufacturer? For the last 75 years? Odd.
Yep, they are all Mad

It's for a bit of a uniquely different application. As above.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:25   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

JMHO, I believe you would lose more than you would gain. Just because the leg is below the hull doesn't mean you can't draw air through the hole in the hull to cause cavitation. A bundle of money goes into the design.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:02   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Seeing as that cavitation plate is located inside that hole underneath the hull, I don't see where cutting it off (or trimming it to fit) should cause a problem. That plate is really there to stop the prop drawing in air from the surface, but seeing as the prop is inside that hole, there is little chance of that happening. I would not cut it off, but trim to fit.

That other little plate right above the prop, is there to trim the thrust from the propellor, so that the motor will run straight. It's generally set by the manufacturer to ensure this.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:22   #25

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

If I may ask what is the cost to replace the entire outboard?
That plus your time is the worst case scenario for this experiment
YMMV
Old 09-12-2021, 11:00   #26

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I'm going to fit a cover over that big hole in the hull, through that cover plate I'll just make a hole 15mm bigger that the silhouette of the leg. I will probably cut it just level with the back of the trim tab. When the leg is down a plate attached further up the leg will come down and blank the hole. When the leg is up I'll have a door that swings down and seals it and a self bailer to drain the well.

But yes, I will find out what's in there first.
Maybe you could fabricate a rubber shield that could clamp around the OB " neck" and lay at water level, clipping to spaced attachment points along the boats well.
Rubber would allow for movement R to L, if left a bit loose.
And, should limit the amount of air available to allow for any cavitation.
Just a thought.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 11:26   #27
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

The well will NOT be sealed well enough to prevent ventilation. I've seen air pull down tip-rudder cassettes, and I seriously doubt the fit will be that good.

A fence will not work at water level. It needs to be well-submersed (see image).

The fix? My boat needs an anti-ventilation plate on the rudder. Otherwise the rudder ventilates above ~ 12 knots (a motor will ventilate standing still). This was designed by the architect, Ian Farrier.

Sail Delmarva: Rudder Rebuild and Adding a Fence

Old 09-12-2021, 11:45   #28

Quote:
The well will NOT be sealed well enough to prevent ventilation. I've seen air pull down tip-rudder cassettes, and I seriously doubt the fit will be that good.

A fence will not work at water level. It needs to be well-submersed (see image).

The fix? My boat needs an anti-ventilation plate on the rudder. Otherwise the rudder ventilates above ~ 12 knots (a motor will ventilate standing still). This was designed by the architect, Ian Farrier.

Sail Delmarva: Rudder Rebuild and Adding a Fence

Not sure how this article relates to the OB, cavitation, "ventilation" issue here.
Could you elaborate how this would work?
Seems a good way to keep water around your rudder, but?
Pretty sure the OP, doesn't want to Compleatly eliminate the cav. plate, just wants to trim it a bit.
Boatyarddog
Old 09-12-2021, 13:03   #29
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Not sure how this article relates to the OB, cavitation, "ventilation" issue here.
Could you elaborate how this would work?
Seems a good way to keep water around your rudder, but?
Pretty sure the OP, doesn't want to Completely eliminate the cav. plate, just wants to trim it a bit.
Boatyarddog

It does not relate directly, but indirectly in several ways:
  • Adding something at the surface of the water will not work. Too many gaps, too turbulent.
  • A cover that fits around the outboard may not work. This rudder cassette has quite a tight fit with the hull, including spacers, and still it sucks air down. The pressure differential of an outboard is probably greater than that on a rudder.
He can certainly experiment. But he may loose some power, and most critically, he may loose some power in up-and-down conditions (rough weather). He just needs to be aware of the seriousness of the risk. Those plates are not there for looks, they are there because EVERY manufacturer considers them critical.
Old 09-12-2021, 13:20   #30

Quote:
It does not relate directly, but indirectly in several ways:
  • Adding something at the surface of the water will not work. Too many gaps, too turbulent.
  • A cover that fits around the outboard may not work. This rudder cassette has quite a tight fit with the hull, including spacers, and still it sucks air down. The pressure differential of an outboard is probably greater than that on a rudder.
He can certainly experiment. But he may loose some power, and most critically, he may loose some power in up-and-down conditions (rough weather). He just needs to be aware of the seriousness of the risk. Those plates are not there for looks, they are there because EVERY manufacturer considers them critical.
Humm.. Guess he won't know till he tries, there seems to be no conclusive answer here.
Maybe we All with learn from this, keep your fingers crossed.
Haven't seen to many OBs that don't Cav. in bouncy conditions.
Boatyarddog

Tags
outboard