Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 16:37   #1

Boat: Alan Pape Ketch
Breather hose on 2qm20

Hi guys

I am currently motoring along sitting on 2000 Ron and there is quite a lot of smoke coming from the breather hose on the engine. Actually smoke is probably the wrong word for it. Is this normal ? I have the engine bay open and can see the residue coming up through the cockpit doors. My oil level was fine and everything seems to be normal??? Should I be worried?
Mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 17:20   #2

Oh and it's the breather hose that comes off the side plate by the govenor. Seems to be white but doesn't smell like oil or diesel or steam. Just smells smokey if that makes sense. The water pump">raw water pump isn't leaking so I don't think it's coming in through there. Hmmmm
Old 12-10-2012, 19:08   #3

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Breather hose on 2qm20

Look to see if open end of the hose fell off of a fitting on the intake somewhere. The diesels I've seen return the crankcase bypass to the intake on the engine.

Even the old Atomic 4 had you place the end of the breather tube in front of the spark arrestor in front of the carb.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 22:49   #4

I had a look but can't see anything. Changed the oil and filter, maybe that will do the trick. Judging by the amount of grit and dirt in the fuel in the water separator filter the oil probably hasn't been done in ages. I bought the boat just a few weeks ago
Old 15-10-2012, 01:45   #5

The manual states that the breather hose goes back into the air intake but I can't find any connection there. I can rig something up though. However is there usually meant to be quite a lot of smoke coming out of the breathers??
Old 15-10-2012, 07:38   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

The breather tube usually comes off the top of the valve cover.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 07:44   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

This is relatively normal for an older engine. Many engine also do not return the crankcase breather to the intake, usually an example of a poor or less sophisticated marinization. Our Kubota based phasor does not return to the intake either, but is on the to do list to keep engine bay odors to a minimum.

Crankcase vents can come from the valve cover, or the side of the block, just somewhere to relieve pressure from the crankcase is all that is needed.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 07:50   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Interesting. The only ones I have seen with a vent on the side just went down the side of the engine and dripped. I guess this is an improvement over that setup anyway.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:39   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter 36-80-82 Wanderer

Your breather hose should be hooked up to a small fitting under your air intake.If this isn`t hooked up,your crankcase ventilation will eventually plug up and the engine oil will start blowing out your dipstick.
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 15:43   #10

remove the cap where you add oil, then place cap back over hole with out turning or tightening. Start eng, and run up to speed. If the cap dances around due to excess crankcase pressure, new piston rings may be in your immediate future.
Old 01-12-2012, 15:45   #11

Thanks wanderer. I saw that in the manual after posting this but there is no fitting on the intake. I have since changed the oil and filter and routed the Jose so it points at the air intake and problem solved !!!! Still a tiny amount of smoke coming out but nothing of concern now.
Old 01-12-2012, 16:04   #12

Thanks Mark I will give it a shot today. Am going to put a new engine in after cyclone season passes so hopefully will be ok till then!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:59   #13

Mark I did what u said. Could feel tones of air coming out of the cap. Guessing its not good news!!
Old 02-12-2012, 21:55   #14

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

my 2 qm20 goes from strength to strength - i've changed the oil probably a couple of times more then necessary but it makes a lot of difference. My breather is just a tube down the side, puffs a bit, never bothered me, but i might run it round to the air intake when i got nothing better to do. My eng was pretty neglected when i got it, over 3 years now ive cleaned it up, fixed all the ancillaries and by running it properly, ie warmups, reasonable periods of running, regular running, running up to full power when its warmed up for short periods, now it idles like an old harley, runs clean and reliable. Dont chuck your engine away without giving it a chance, they can be a pretty good engine if looked after.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2qm20