Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2023, 13:20   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 419
Boat's engine model is not EPA compliant.

What does this really mean?

Is it something that I can do to meet the requirements or walk away from the boat.
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 13:34   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Boat's engine model is not EPA compliant.

No one is inspecting boat engines for emissions
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 14:15   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo2010 View Post
What does this really mean?

Is it something that I can do to meet the requirements or walk away from the boat.
Are you talking about a 2-stroke outboard? If so it isn't EPA allowed to be sold in the USA. If you bring one in and use it that will be ok
Old 17-11-2023, 14:23   #4

Boat: Columbia 36

The EPA rules are just for building new engines. Nobody cares about older ones.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 14:29   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

What engine are you writing about?
Small 2 strokes are not sold in the US anymore. So-called CI ( ignition engines) above 800 HP require remanufacture to be in compliance but these are old (pre 1972 as I recall) and likely not what you have. Contemporary Diesel engines require certification by the manufacturer for sale. Importing non-compliant engines requires certification prior to use although enforcement is non-existent in use.

None of these regs prohibit anyone from using one.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 15:27   #6

2014 Yanmar 4JH5E 54hp
Old 17-11-2023, 15:33   #7

If the boat is not a boat in the US, and you intend to import it into the US, the one thing the CBP inspection will care about (from personal experience, twice) is that EPA emissions sticker on any engine(s).

There are really not many regulations about bringing a boat to the US, but that is one of them. And beware, a sticker can be cancelled. Just because it is on the engine does not mean it is valid. Witness the Volvo D1/D2 emissions scandal of a few years back. Those engines were recalled and replaced in the US, and the EPA de-certified the engines built prior to the recall date. So if the CBP person knows that, or just wants to be a pain and checks.... YMMV.

https://www.epa.gov/regulations-emis...ne-compression

https://www.epa.gov/importing-vehicl...es-and-engines

https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P10081IS.pdf

The actual form you will need to complete to import https://19january2021snapshot.epa.go...ed-enabled.pdf
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 15:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo2010 View Post
2014 Yanmar 4JH5E 54hp
I would start here. There is a list of certified engines. It is a downloadable Excel file so I am not posting a direct link because I think you should get that kind of thing from a trusted source. Scroll down to Marine Compression-Ignition Engines, grab the file, and scan for the engine.

Yanmar says the 4JH5E meets EPA Tier 3, but, while they usually do not sell multiple models because of cost, there is no guarantee (without talking with Yanmar) that all engines of that model are compliant. But, if you can get Yanmar to say they are, or you can wade through the EPA data path to serial numbers, then the sticker itself is no big deal, as long as you can demonstrate the path between your engine serial number and the EPA database.

If you have to go to that level of effort make sure the boat is worth it (to you).
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 18:07   #9

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeywoodJ View Post
If the boat is not a boat in the US, and you intend to import it into the US, the one thing the CBP inspection will care about (from personal experience, twice) is that EPA emissions sticker on any engine(s).

There are really not many regulations about bringing a boat to the US, but that is one of them. And beware, a sticker can be cancelled. Just because it is on the engine does not mean it is valid. Witness the Volvo D1/D2 emissions scandal of a few years back. Those engines were recalled and replaced in the US, and the EPA de-certified the engines built prior to the recall date. So if the CBP person knows that, or just wants to be a pain and checks.... YMMV.

https://www.epa.gov/regulations-emis...ne-compression

https://www.epa.gov/importing-vehicl...es-and-engines

https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P10081IS.pdf

The actual form you will need to complete to import https://19january2021snapshot.epa.go...ed-enabled.pdf
Customs and EPA degree of concern depends on the port of entry. Some ports check every time and some don’t check.
That said, I would not import a boat with an engine that did not meet requirements. It’s a risk with big consequences.
I did import a boat. It did meet requirements. It was not inspected but would have passed.
Requirements are not just meeting emissions but include appropriate labeling.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 18:56   #10

I think I'll pass, keep looking for the right boat

Thanks for feedback
Old 20-11-2023, 11:19   #11

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

If the boat is US documented or US state registered, even if located in a foreign country (Say Mexico?) you will not likely be "importing" it when you bring it back.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2024, 10:28   #12

Hello
Has anyone delt with EPA non compliant issues on 2015, 16 17 Jenneau and Beneteau?

I’m told there are certain models that new that can not be brought into the states.
Dawnpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, engine, model