Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 08:01   #16

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Re: Blower in the Engine room

I installed a 200 cfm blower to provide combustion air, as well as cooling for the fridge/freezer compressors from Digikey. You can pretty much get whatever size you want from this company to match the air consumption of the engine.

Invalid Request

p.s. not sure why the link says "Invalid Request", but it is good. Takes you to their search engine.
Old 08-10-2013, 20:43   #17

On normal sized cruising sail boats the engine room is not isolated from the bilge or the cabin. The diesel will pull air through the cabin and bilge and make them cooler while running. When you stop the engine is when the difference comes in. An extractor fan will bring cool air from the bilge and cabin and exhaust it out the vent to cool the cabin and other spaces, and mostly the engine room. A timer on an extractor fan that runs for 30 or 40 minutes after shut down is a good idea to keep cabin temps from rising. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 21:50   #18

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Dorads(spl) and some ducting will help for air while running and help both air and temp even at the dock! Ive used them in both sail and power. just my 2 cents
Old 08-10-2013, 22:10   #19

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

Moving 2.5CM/m + is no big deal @ 24v or 12v x 20-30watts.
Heater blower motors are plentiful and not that expensive.
Example company below lists life expectancy of motors @40C well into the 10s of thousands of hours.
Play with their site and see for yourselves.
Invalid Request
Cheers,
Mac
LOL: Same link as Delfin, it's good though, as he says.
Old 11-10-2013, 13:41   #20

At one point I used to run my bilge blower while running the engine but found that it only pulled air from lower hose which was basicaly cool air and as the blower wear out they would make a sound on occasion that sounded like a ships horn in the distance that would scare the H out of you and make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end while seaching the horizon but eventualy the bearings got so bad I able to trace the mystery ship horns!!!
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 16:33   #21

Boat: PETERSON 44
I have a engine room intake fan that attaches to a box that is over the Refer compressor. Sadly the refer compressor is in the engine room. This set up forces the intake air across the coil and compressor when the fan is on and the engine running. At least if the engine room is hot the engine room fan is forcing in fresh air. When at anchor I want quite. So the fan is shut down but the air intake that cools the compressor is outside air. My engine when run up to temp stays warm for quite awhile. Only way I could see to cool it faster would be to circulate coolant with a coolant pump. All the engine room fans I have played with make noise.
Hope I wrote that so it makes some sense.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine