Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2024, 05:38   #1

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig
Coolant leak should I add a leak stop additive?

For thoughts in the know, my Perkins 22c engine over heated, itís the same model as a Volvo 54 hp rebranded. As luck would have it my engine takes 9 liters of oil which I suspect saved damage to my engine. The issue was a faulty Heat exchange core element. I had a custom new one build and installed.

Once I installed it ran the engine for 2 hours all ok it had no high temperature issues. once cooled down noticed the coolant level was down about 3/4 of a litre. I couldn't find the micro leak I suspect once the engine gets to hot the coolant is a normal 90c heat build up in pressure. This I suspect is the reason it loses coolant.

Where it is I can't locate it except some does leak out the new radiator cap. Once I refill the heat exchange with about a liter of coolant when the engine is cold it does not leak out. Itís only when the motor is running for a few hours there is coolant level drops?

Question should I add a leak stop additive, normal for car radiators to block leaks in cars although there is no radiator? or are there any other solutions I could try?

Thanks for reading this note. S V Skoiern IV
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2024, 06:13   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Coolant leak should I add a leak stop additive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
For thoughts in the know, my Perkins 22c engine over heated, itís the same model as a Volvo 54 hp rebranded. As luck would have it my engine takes 9 liters of oil which I suspect saved damage to my engine. The issue was a faulty Heat exchange core element. I had a custom new one build and installed.

Once I installed it ran the engine for 2 hours all ok it had no high temperature issues. once cooled down noticed the coolant level was down about 3/4 of a litre. I couldn't find the micro leak I suspect once the engine gets to hot the coolant is a normal 90c heat build up in pressure. This I suspect is the reason it loses coolant.

Where it is I can't locate it except some does leak out the new radiator cap. Once I refill the heat exchange with about a liter of coolant when the engine is cold it does not leak out. Itís only when the motor is running for a few hours there is coolant level drops?

Question should I add a leak stop additive, normal for car radiators to block leaks in cars although there is no radiator? or are there any other solutions I could try?

Thanks for reading this note. S V Skoiern IV

You really need to know where the coolant went. If it went in the engine that is bad. The oil will likely look milky. If it went in the seawater, that suggests seawater will also get in the coolant, which is bad. You can test the coolant for chloride (standard test--you can get test tapes also--not chlorine).
Old 20-05-2024, 06:25   #3

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Thanks \oil is normal no milky effect from coolant. Do you know brand test strips for salt water in Coolant . I couldn't find one. Best \kryg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
You really need to know where the coolant went. If it went in the engine that is bad. The oil will likely look milky. If it went in the seawater, that suggests seawater will also get in the coolant, which is bad. You can test the coolant for chloride (standard test--you can get test tapes also--not chlorine).
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2024, 06:37   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
The issue was a faulty Heat exchange core element. I had a custom new one build and installed.
I would immediately be suspicious of the new heat exchanger. I find that after a first coolant fill after the system has been drained the level will be low after a good hot run, but that's because the system had air pockets or wasn't filled all the way. However, coolant level should stabilize after that. I take it you don't see any coolant dipping down under the engine? I put a nice clean oil absorbent pad underneath which makes it easy to spot any drips of coolant or oil.
Old 20-05-2024, 06:59   #5

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Don't know where you are located.
Can you get one of these test kits?
Cheers/Len
https://www.amazon.ca/coolant-pressu...ressure+tester
Old 20-05-2024, 07:24   #6

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

As far as to where your leak is.... no idea.
In response to the use of a stop leak additive.....

NO!
It has (more than) the potential to gum/clog/block/ruin the rest of the system. As a field expedient fix to get you that last mile home, when you know you'll have to do a complete tear down and rebuild...perhaps
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2024, 15:57   #7

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Do you have a hot water heater plumbed to your engine? The pressure tester mentioned above is a great tool for this problem.
jamhass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2024, 17:39   #8

The MD22/ Perkins Prima is a tricky customer as far as the cooling system is concerned and if you have a coolant pump leak it’s a bit of a wild ride. The pump is quite hard to get to and involves taking off the timing belt, usually replacing that belt (since its already off) and pinning the engine to keep the timing…. Hopefully your circulating pump isn’t the cause of the leak and far more likely is plain ol thermal expansion as you suggest. The volvo version had an expansion tank with a pressure cap but I don’t think the Prima had the same tank, just a pressure cap on the heat exchanger and a vent to the bilge. On the overheating, this engine is unique, it has a sealing ring on the tubestack and if its not installed correctly you get a lazy overheat, can take Ĺ an hour and when you drop the revs a few hundred she cools off to normal. That plastic ring is essential to directing the coolant flow around the tubes, if it’s absent or wrongly installed, the coolant goes down the outside of the tubestack rather than weaving its way in and out of the bundle. Overheats with this engine are to be avoided at all costs, the aluminium head hates being overheated and warps fairly easily.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2024, 05:10   #9

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

I’ve been having similar issues with loss of coolant. Changed pressure cap, identified and corrected a couple drips, but no real luck. Bought ( and returned) a couple pressure test kits, but none would fit what must be an odd-ball pressure cap size. Jerry-rigged a test cap by drilling out the core of a pressure cap and replacing with an air tank (Schrader) valve and epoxying a seal, but the results are inconclusive. Pumping it up w a bicycle pump gradually loses pressure: pump hose leak? Test cap leak? Actual leak somewhere in the cooling system?
I’m starting to suspect the heat exchanger, but the only way to be sure about that is to remove it, which is a lengthy process considering the difficulty of access to fasteners, etc.- like everthing else on a boat.
I’ve checked engine oil. No signs of milkiness.
The only thing left I can think of after that is the hot water tank. There are no leaks on those connections, and since we’re not dead from glycol poisoning that suspect is not rating high.
I’ve been coping with this for several months. While it’s not stopping use of the boat completely, I do need to add coolant before each use.
Any helpful suggestions will be highly valued.
Old 23-05-2024, 07:43   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

For pressure testers I found in the case of Autozone loaners and my Yanmar, I had to get two kits. The basic kit included the pump and a bunch of adapters none of which fit. The extra kit had another dozen or so cap adapters including a more universal one which is what I used. Downside was that it couldn't test the overflow but it did verify no leak in the coolant circuit.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2024, 09:00   #11

No stop leak. It's quite possible the coolant went lower simply due to air that was in the system and worked it's way out. If not, find the leak!

Other possibility is bad reassembly of the heat exchanger or the tube stack is not sealing from poor construction or seals.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2024, 09:58   #12

Boat: Between Boats (sold the Tayana 37)

Leak stop should be avoided at all cost. If you use it then it should be a last resort on a complex repair that otherwise is not economical.

Using it isn't without downsides to include reduced cooling performance, potential for clogs and possibly not stopping the leak while clogging up the system. You need to figure out where the coolant is going. It is going into the seawater, the oil, or leaking externally (dripping under the engine). Figure that out first.

If you can't find the leak one way to eliminate a leak is to use tracer dye through the seawater system. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with water add some tracing dye so it is nice and dark color that is not the color of your coolant. Depending on the engine size and flow rate you may want to have a second 5 gallon bucket too. Remove the raw water engine intake from the seacock and put it into the bucket.

Before you do the test draw off some of the existing coolant put it into a jar. Run the engine long enough to run most of the bucket through the system. Shutoff engine and draw some coolant into another glass jar. Compare the color. If you have trace dye in the coolant the leak is in the heat exchanger.
Statistical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2024, 10:25   #13

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Various stop leak additives contain particles that circulate and block tiny holes. Eventually the particles can gang together and block small holes like heat exchanger tubes.
It's a lot of trouble to flush stop leak out of an engine.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant