Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2011, 22:25   #1

Boat: Amel Euros 41
4JH4AE vs 4JH5E

I am planning to repower my sailboat. I asked a quote from Yanmar for a 4JH5E but the dealer offered a 4JH4AE instead. I checked the Yanmar website and it seems like the offered modell is not for sale.

I am concerned that the dealer is trying to sell me an old model.

Do you know this model? Is this a predessor of 4JH5E?

Both engines are rated around 40 kW but interestingly the power curve for the 4JH5E shows 28 kW / 3000 and the 4JH4A shows 40 kw/3000.

This does not sound correct. 40 kW vs 28 kW?
rotorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 23:44   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: 4JH4AE vs 4JH5E

If you have to get a Yanmar, the 4JH4AE is an earlier version, with the same bore and stroke. Not sure why they changed the designation, but if the earlier version has fewer electronics, you will be better off with it. The power curve for the 4JH5E seems to be wrong--you might ask Yanmar about it.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 00:08   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The differences were very minor. The main change was with the fuel filter housing, which on the 4AE had a useful manual priming pump. On some instalations this allowed in air. My 4AE had this problem, but Yanmar sent me the new filter housing from the 5E (no manual pump, but also no air leak). It just bolts on so its easily changed.

I think you will find the power difference is mistake
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 08:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

You might consider a Beta Marine engine instead. Not sure where you are located, but here in the US, Yanmar's distribution/dealer network is a nightmare... AND a ripoff.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 09:01   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Beta do make very good engines as well and I would certainly consider them, but a big + for Yanmar is the availibility of spares and dealers worldwide.
I have seen 100's of Yanmars signs on shops and spare parts in side and I have never seen Beta spares advertised in any chandlery. Ever. I know the base models are Kubota so there is a chance of getting some parts from a tractor dealer, but its inveriably the marinised parts that need repair.

In some countries custom delays mean ordering parts can be very slow if they are not in the country.

The OP has an Amel (I think!), so I hope they have some long distance crusing asperations. That is what the boats are designed for.
Worldwide Yanmar wins hands down with the number of dealers and availibility of parts.
Old 25-10-2011, 09:33   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Beta do make very good engines as well and I would certainly consider them, but a big + for Yanmar is the availibility of spares and dealers worldwide.
I have seen 100's of Yanmars signs on shops and spare parts in side and I have never seen Beta spares advertised in any chandlery. Ever. I know the base models are Kubota so there is a chance of getting some parts from a tractor dealer, but its inveriably the marinised parts that need repair.

In some countries custom delays mean ordering parts can be very slow if they are not in the country.

The OP has an Amel (I think!), so I hope they have some long distance crusing asperations. That is what the boats are designed for.
Worldwide Yanmar wins hands down with the number of dealers and availibility of parts.
Actually, I have seen far more volvo-penta signs than Yanmar signs in my travels, but I repowered with a Beta. I'd rather buy my parts at the tractor dealer than at the $chandlery$.

If you really want to go long-distance cruising you go with the most reliable engine you can buy AND you will carry critical spares with you.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 09:57   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Actually, I have seen far more volvo-penta signs than Yanmar signs in my travels, but I repowered with a Beta. I'd rather buy my parts at the tractor dealer than at the $chandlery$.

If you really want to go long-distance cruising you go with the most reliable engine you can buy AND you will carry critical spares with you.
I agree with that. Lots of Volo Penta signs as well and the best engine and lots of spares is always sensible.

I hope you realise now every boat with engine problems will be over to "borrow" our spare parts.
Old 25-10-2011, 12:29   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Yes but a Volvo starter is $600!!! Regarding Beta/ Kubuta. It is cheaper to buy from a tractor dealer. On a thread I started about my Westerbeke W46, I found out it was a Mitsubishi. An example there on price difference was a gasket set. $1600 from Westerbeke and $380 from Mitsubishi. I had a Yanmar 4JH in one of my boats. I found it reliable and parts reasonably priced.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 16:12   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

It's my opinion that Yanmar prices its engines to boat manufacturers like razors. Then, they let the end user buy the parts (the blades). The profit is in the blades, and they have a distribution / dealer setup to insure the protection of their margins. It's absurd. Our distributor in LA didn't even have impeller gaskets in stock - I got sent - and charged for - 10 in a drop ship from Yanmar US.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 19:09   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
It's my opinion that Yanmar prices its engines to boat manufacturers like razors. Then, they let the end user buy the parts (the blades). The profit is in the blades, and they have a distribution / dealer setup to insure the protection of their margins. It's absurd. Our distributor in LA didn't even have impeller gaskets in stock - I got sent - and charged for - 10 in a drop ship from Yanmar US.

That sounds like a problem with the LA distributer, not Yanmar. Golden State diesel up here was a pleasure to work with. Always stock on hand and always reasonable. Starter for the Yanmar 4JH was $190. For my junk Volvo 2003 27hp. was $600+. Initially all engines are about priced the same. I know a 45hp. engine will sell between $12k - $14K, new, depending on the options.
I will pay for reputation before I will for inexpensive replacement parts. A good example of that was the Mercedes 50hp. marinized engine. Sure the parts were expensive but the engine was very trouble free. So the outlay was small over the 30,000 hours the engine could run. The same was true of the Isuzu Pieces engines. Beta (compared to other engines) are relatively new to the market. I know many people swear by them but most I have met have less than 500 hours on them so not a fair assessment.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 19:31   #11

at this point I know Beta have been around for 16 years anyway, the Kubota engines for longer, so I dont think that would be a worry. The dirt about Yanmars issues has been leaking out now for years, but they DO have a lot of engines out there so you would expect to hear a lot I suppose. i would buy either if naturally aspirated.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 20:14   #12

Boat: Amel Euros 41

Thanks for all the replies so far. I need an engine to which I can easily get parts anywhere around the world. That's why I am thinking about Yanmar or Volvo.
FYI I did a quick price check between D2-55 and the 4JH5E (gst free usd standard prices found online)

Exhaust maniford: Yanmar: $2019 Volvo: $3336
water pump">Raw Water Pump: Yanmar: $1024 Volvo: $604
Exhaust bend: Yanmar: $468 Volvo: $563
Oil pan: Yanmar: $586 Volvo: $308
Injector nozzle: Yanmar: $93 Volvo $167
rotorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 07:19   #13
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

One thing that needs to be mentioned is this....The current economy precludes a lot of dealers from carrying a large parts inventory........
When My YANMAR supplier looks up a part...he is on a nationwide Yanmar Database.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 07:46   #14

Boat: Vagabond 42

I had a 4jh4 for 14 years and recently repowered with the 4jh5e. They are almost identical. I hadn't noticed the difference at the primary fuel filter housing. I wouldn't have any other engine on my boat. Parts are easy to find all across the Caribbean. One thing I did notice about the 4jh5e is that I am burning a LOT less fuel than I was. I also put a new prop on so some of the fuel economy is due to that but some is due to the engine. Callisto went from 1 gallon per hour at 2500 revs (6 knots) to 1/2 gallon per hour 2500 revs now 7+ knots.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 09:40   #15

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Wow!!- that is some difference in performance.
What are the old and new prop specs?
Sounds like you were under-propped before, or are over-propped now.