Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2007, 19:48   #1

Boat: 26ft Navy Whaleboat
4-108 injection pump

I pulled the IP today to have it and the injectors rebuilt. It's a major pain to get to on these older models. Once I got the exhaust manifold,hoses etc out of the way the biggest problem was getting the allen head machine screw out on the back side. I could only get a partial turn with the standard 90 degree 7/32 allen head wrench, but loosened it up enough to managed to back it all the way out using a straight 7/32 allen wrench jammed in the end of a piece of tubing. Don't think I'm going to get much torque with a piece of tubing on the reinstall. Does anyone know if there is a special wrench for this task? Would also appreciate any advice on timing when reinstalling pump. Working without a manual sure adds to the adventure.

Thanks in advance for any assistance & Aloha....Gerry
CaptG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 20:02   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptG
I could only get a partial turn with the standard 90 degree 7/32 allen head wrench, but loosened it up enough to managed to back it all the way out using a straight 7/32 allen wrench jammed in the end of a piece of tubing. Don't think I'm going to get much torque with a piece of tubing on the reinstall. Does anyone know if there is a special wrench for this task? Would also appreciate any advice on timing when reinstalling pump. Working without a manual sure adds to the adventure.
Hi CaptG.

Check out this Sears Craftsmen weblink.

Sears.com

I used to work on cars. And mechanics need tools like these to get the job done. This should help?

Just take a good look around on the website.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 20:11   #3

CaptainK ......thanks for the link. I should have thought of that. After 4 hours in the hot sun I'm pretty much brain dead. Tomorrow I'll check Napa also.

Aloha......Gerry
Old 05-06-2007, 20:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptG
CaptainK ......thanks for the link. I should have thought of that. After 4 hours in the hot sun I'm pretty much brain dead. Tomorrow I'll check Napa also.

Aloha......Gerry
Hey!!!

That is quite understandable. The heat is why I am no longer working on cars for a living. Here in Arizona. Your body feels like it is in limbo. When you suffer from heat exhaustion.

Yesterday's temperature was 108 F / 42 C. Summer is already here.

One more website to look into. And this one is from Snap On Tools.
- Snap-on tools online catalog.

Good luck Gerry.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 17:31   #5

Gerry,
Did you set the engine to TDC before removing the pump?
This is normaly done so when the injector shop completes the pump they also set it to TDC

I'd sugest finding the online version of the shop manual. I think it's on the Cape Dory site somewhere.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 18:51   #6

Pat...thanks for the info. I googled Cape Dory & found lots of hits but no manual for the older 4-108.
I did bring up TDC on #1 before removing IP. The man at the shop told me to just mount back up(as long as the marks on the gear splines match up) & line up external scribe mark on the IP with the scribe mark on the engine then torque it down. I removed the paint from the engine side with acetone but found no mark. It only makes sense that the mark would be on the side (top) easiest to see. I seem to remember on a 6-354 I used to have the mark was set with a punch so it would be there forever. The IP is on it's way back via UPS so it should be here in 2 days. If you can shed any light on this procedure it sure would help. Thanks in advance.

Aloha......Gerry
Old 07-06-2007, 21:51   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Gerry,
My Bosch pump on the Mercedes had no marks. I had to start from scratch when putting the thing back together. At one point I finally remembered that I installed a new flywheel too so could not dependably use those marks either. It was a pain but I meticulously followed the manual and got it sorted out.
I really think its pretty much a great idea to get your hands on a manual before trying to time the injector pump.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:30   #8

Aloha Again Gerry,

Maddog just said this:

"I have a pdf version of the shop manual for the 4-107 & 4-108. I belive I got here from Gord. I'll send it to anyone who wants it."

You might want to contact him.

JohnL
Old 08-06-2007, 03:06   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Numerous Online Manuals are available from Owner’s Sites, including:

Endeavour Owners
Endeavour Manuals
http://www.endeavourowners.com/dscsn...p%20Manual.pdf

Cape Dory Owners
CDSOA, Inc. -- Groups & Publications
http://www.capedory.org/manuals/Perk...shopManual.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:05   #10

Aloha to all. I found the manual I needed on the Cape Dory site http://www.capedory.org/manuals/Perk...shopManual.pdf and am now armed with the info I need to properly time the injection pump. Many thanks to all who offer their time and knowledge.

Aloha............Gerry
Old 12-06-2007, 19:20   #11

Injectors & pump installed today. Starts right up & seems to be happy. It does blow some black smoke when tied to the dock with the throttle wide open in gear. Given the load that creates I assume some smoke would be normal. Otherwise no smoke. I'll head out tomorrow for a quick shake down before I call it done. Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Aloha.........Gerry
Old 12-06-2007, 20:48   #12

I suggest you take along some beer and have a great time. Some black smoke full throttle in gear tied to a dock would seem normal to me.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
Old 12-06-2007, 21:18   #13
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
It does blow some black smoke when tied to the dock with the throttle wide open in gear.
What RPM...?

Some experts says you should get 90% of full RPM under those conditions.
I get about 3500 to 3600 RPM when tied to the dock, full throttle in gear.

Some black smoke, but not a lot.
(I don't do it too often, afraid of pulling cleats)
Old 12-06-2007, 21:51   #14

Here's a puzzle for you. Hope someone out there has an answer. 26ft navy whaleboat...4-108 ....Paragon hydraulic navy spec tranny w/ 2.2:1 reduction....18x14 3blade prop. At full throttle at sea mechanical tach reads 1325 RPM . I read some where the navy sets them up this way but I can't remember where I read that....or maybe I'm just losing my marbles. My 1st thought was the tach was only reading half of actual RPM. According to the navy manual it should make 7 kts. It does at the 1325 RPM re my tach with no smoke & 180 temp. Is it actually doing 2650 RPM? I run all day at 1100 RPM making 6.5 Kts & no smoke & temp 175.
This is above my pay grade....Any ideas?

Aloha......Gerry
PS a couple of cold ones sounds good.
Old 12-06-2007, 22:32   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
OK Gerry, break this down into a couple of easy steps.
First thing you need to do is verify the RPM. You need an electronic device that digitaly reads the RPM of the engine. This may be difficult to do, as you need to get your hands on one.
So the next thing to do is see what the engien actually reaches under no load. While in neutral, open the throttle all the way and read what your counter is now showing. If the RPM counter is showing 1325RPM or close to, then yes, someone has set the govenor or throttle to reach that speed only. That is OK and no harm will come.
If it revs all the way upto 3000RPM, then you have a very overloaded engine caused by an over pitched prop. This should be sorted ASAP or you will damage the engine.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote