Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2018, 19:46   #1

Boat: Robertson & Caine, Leopard 48
Send a message via Skype™ to pilotvelez
Yanmar SD60 boots

I own a 2017 Leopard 48. Im currently on the hard in Indonesia undergoing some maintenance. I have seen some owners install a outer boot between the hull and the saildrive to keep water and marine growth out of the area between the saildrive and the hull. Can’t seem to find any information online regarding a part number, manufacturer or installation. Can anyone who has installed this boot or has knowledge point me in the right direction?
pilotvelez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:27   #2

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Re: Yanmar SD60 boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotvelez View Post
I own a 2017 Leopard 48. Im currently on the hard in Indonesia undergoing some maintenance. I have seen some owners install a outer boot between the hull and the saildrive to keep water and marine growth out of the area between the saildrive and the hull. Can’t seem to find any information online regarding a part number, manufacturer or installation. Can anyone who has installed this boot or has knowledge point me in the right direction?
As far as I know these rubber boots are standard items, i.e. one size fits all.
Volvo Penta 854932
Yanmar 22303438

But they tend to fall off on many boats (except dock queens, of course). Some glues work better than others.

I never found one that really worked for me so I replaced mine with 2mm hard PVC with a slightly oversized hole for the SD, glued in place with MS polymer glue.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 14:19   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Ive gotten them to stick for a couple of seasons, maybe 3 max, with good surface prep (sand bonding area on hull, lightly sand bonding surface on skirt, clean both surfaces well, apply a coat of 5200 to each, let it set a few minutes, press into place, roll out firmly with a wooden roller or similar). I suspect contact cement would work well too, but have not tried it.

You can find these using the parts diagrams at www.marinepartsexpress.com. Or look up using part numbers posted above.

I found some via Amazon this past season for about 30% of Volvo USA's crazy retail price, but from a European supplier, identical to those provided by Volvo. Shipping was inexpensive, but slow.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 17:15   #4

Boat: Robertson & Caine, Leopard 48
Send a message via Skype™ to pilotvelez

Thanks for the advice. Will continue to research
pilotvelez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar