Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2018, 20:38   #1

Which boat show for best look at most cats?

I’m looking for advice on which boat show would be best in allowing me a look at a wide variety of cruising/livaboard cats? I’m thinking something in the 45-55’ range, for two adults. I’m coming from years in smaller sportfishing boats, so this would be a first for sailing and first for something this large. I live near Seattle, but I don’t recall seeing these rigs at our annual show. It’s even better if the show is in a warm location during the winter (better reason to leave the rain for a few days). Thank you
Wdlfbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 21:29   #2

Re: Which boat show for best look at most cats?

The boat show">Annapolis boat show would have been a good one, but it just happened in October. Sailing Off Duty just posted a bunch of good cruising cat walk-through videos from that show: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-Q..._-zWCJ6rC2Xn1Q

Judging from the number of models that Lagoon will be showing at the Miami Boat Show (see their News section at https://www.cata-lagoon.com/en/news) that'll be your next best opportunity (and probably a good place to escape the rain as well).

Good luck finding your liveaboard!
Wonderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 21:30   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Don’t know how many cats you would see but the Miami show in February is huge and warm. The website might have exhibitors listed.
Old 27-12-2018, 21:43   #4

The Annapolis show in Oct is what you want state-side. Check out the YouTube channel for “Cruising Off Duty” as they attend that show and give their impression of each Cat.

The largest overall for Cats(I think) is the Intl Multihull show in La Grande Motte, France.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 22:02   #5

Boat: Colegate 26

I agree with Thalas. I'd add, you want to go to Annapolis for the early day of the show as there are far fewer people to compete with for access to the boats. It very quickly becomes overcrowded and there are waiting lines to see the boats, and still too many people on the boats to get good impressions of the boats.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 05:45   #6

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

If you can make arrangements to attend Miami in February, Annapolis in Oct and then Miami again, etc..... and get on any boats you can, or take a week of classes with whom ever you plan to sail, you may gain a good handle on what’s out there, what suits your needs, and ultimately the best boat for you.

Other sailors’ opinions (esp on YouTube) are worth watching, but I know sailors crossing oceans on 36’ cats and others that swear you need 44’ minimum. Neither is “wrong,” just different.

Take your time; the earth won’t stop rotating if you don’t have “the” boat by [insert date]. Another bonus is the boat market is slowly staring to correct itself. Owners of 8 year old boats for sale won’t be asking what they originally paid, and you might find an affordable 5 year old beauty.

We’re still looking after 2 years.

Good luck!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 06:07   #7

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

We did both Miami and Annapolis this year. Miami had larger spaces for electronics vendors, etc., and a good selection of cats. We committed to a Seawind 1160 Lite new build at that show, and it just finished build last week. (On a ship now headed to Miami.). Annapolis had more cats exhibited though, and was a larger event. Seemed that the electronics vendor spaces and reps were limited though, which is why we went. B&G had some Boat Show only rebates and West Marine was offering deals on high-end electronics packages, which made the Annapolis event worthwhile for us. If you can only do one, choose Annapolis.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 08:33   #8

We did Miami, La Grande Motte, Annapolis and Paris this year and just bought our catamaran. Miami and Annapolis were great, especially for accessories, but La Grande Motte was really special because it was catamarans only, very intimate, easy to spend hours on each boat and very personalized service... Plus a week in Provence is really nice. I would suggest to visit more than one major boat show... The digestion process is really important.
mdamours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 08:36   #9

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

Definitely attend Miami in February. You’ll have the Lagoons, Leopard, Seawind, HH (one of my favorites), Kynsna, Privilege, Outremer, and several more.

But do yourself a favor and go see some of the other available cats on the market. Get yourself a broker to line up boats. You should also make arrangements to visit Just Catamarans and The Catamaran Company in Fort Lauderdale.

There are some very nice used boats out there. Often many upgrades have been made and kinks worked out from factory. But then again its used and you can’t choose every fabric and option yourself.

Good luck with your search...

P.S. Typing this at anchor on our Manta 40 in Islamorada FL. I go to Miami boat show every year. People come from around the world. There are great seminars too. Annapolis is the other must show for next fall.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 08:39   #10

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamours View Post
We did Miami, La Grande Motte, Annapolis and Paris this year and just bought our catamaran. Miami and Annapolis were great, especially for accessories, but La Grande Motte was really special because it was catamarans only, very intimate, easy to spend hours on each boat and very personalized service... Plus a week in Provence is really nice. I would suggest to visit more than one major boat show... The digestion process is really important.
Totally agree with this post. We did Annapolis and La Grande Motte (LGM). LGM by far had the greatest selection of boats to see, brands you may not see anywhere else. This was the only European show we attended and it was great to see equipment brands you would never find at a US show. Also recommend that you take the opportunity to visit a factory or two for the boats that are at top of your list. You will learn a lot about the manufacturer based on their willingness to host you and show how the sausage is made.

Gary
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 09:07   #11

Boat: Lagoon 42 OV

An alternative option is to fly into SanDiego or Fort Lauderdale and have an agent/broker show you around. A 2016-2017 is going to look a lot like 2020 unless they change the molds. Gary Fretz comes to mind as I have used him. The benefit is you can crawl all over the cat, look at stuff you couldn't at a boat show and really get a feel for the boat.

At the boat shows, in my limited experience living 90 minutes from Annapolis, it is a 'look don't touch' interaction. When I go with a broker, I open all hatches, get in the sugar scoops to see if I fit around the motors, check wiring, the ac, how soft the beds are etc.

As unsolicited advice, a sin I know, I would say 45-55 is going to be enormous for a couple. My wife and I are looking in the 38-45 range and even the Lagoon 42s seem huge. The newer cats are 'Americanized' getting wider and fatter each year.

If you're really wanting to go to a show, Annapolis is the best. And come visit DC as that time of year the weather is very nice, the trees might be turning color, fewer tourists and the monuments and Smithsonians aren't as busy. A good time to see the capital.
Good luck, personally I would like to know what you think of the size once you have been on a few. I was starry-eyed over the 45+ range until I actually got on a few, now I feel confident 45 is absolutely the biggest I would go.
DockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 10:23   #12

Boat: Freedom 32

Any show where the wives make the decisions
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 13:57   #13

Miami in a February sounds like a good start. My old Worldcat is in Jacksonville, with an open invitation to go fishing if I ever get out thst way. Might be a good time for both things.

No hurry at all. It’ll most likely be used along the Western Americas.

Interesting about the 45’ feeling huge for one couple. Thanks. I think I’d rather stay away from the 4-5 berth versions and have 2-3 roomier ones, but resale will be given greater importance for the first one. It seems to take a couple versions before really learning what we like.

I’ll also need to be studying tax laws, registrations, etc so I don’t get soaked in the process. A used boat will be our beginning, letting someone else take the big hit, but I still need time on several to get a decent idea for a starting point. Then I’ll find a competent broker and get serious about traveling to look at some potential purchases.
Wdlfbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 14:16   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Did Miami and Annapolis. It was my first Miami and about my sixth Annapolis. Miami on the last day is very quiet so you can spend less crowded time. Annapolis, even on VIP Thursday can be crowded. Both have lots of cats. I bought a Saona 47 at Miami last year (actually shortly thereafter). I chose that show as I want to have the boat delivered to Florida (I live in San Diego, but want to spend a year sailing in the Bahamas/South Florida) and thought I might meet more local sales folks, but it turns out there is a lot of traveling by the dealers to both Miami and Annapolis. Nothing on the west coast comes close in terms of Cats. Good luck on your search!
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 16:12   #15

Boat: Dolphin 460, 14m

I have been to several cat shows and the French show in La Grande Mott to me is the best. If you are serious in buying a cat, go to this show, the cost is worth the experience.

https://cornellsailing.com/2017/04/i...-grande-motte/
Dolphin460 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boat show