Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2010, 01:57   #1

Where to Put 45' Cat on the Hard in Greece ?

Does anyone know of a cheap, safe place to put a 45 foot cat on the hard in Greece? Any info would be appreciated.
loowigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 02:20   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
Does anyone know of a cheap, safe place to put a 45 foot cat on the hard in Greece? Any info would be appreciated.
TryMessolonghi Marina - Home
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 03:23   #3

Boat: Orana 44
Hard in greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post

There are three boatyards near Preveza actually Aktio (30miles south Corfu on mainland greece), all 3 can haulout cats and have been operating for many years. One Cleopatra has 300 ton travel lift, the others hydraulic trailors. But all three are experienced in hauling cats and store 800+ boats a year. Personally I used Cleopatra last winter - no problem hauling and launching my Orana 44, the crew were careful and the boat was stored with ample space for working on it. The cost for 9 months was about Eurs 3600 (haul out/relaunch Eur 600). Good for DIY work - not recommended for non-DIY work. From my conversations with other boat owners all 3 yards are NOT cheap for boatyard work and it is practically impossible for outside companies to work on your boat - PM if you want to know more. However 0.5m away is Preveza town quay (afloat only), free or very cheap if you need it and usable by other companies to work on the boat. There are numerous yacht facilities in the area, in Lefkas and Nidri. There is a regular bus service to Athens, 6hrs away. Some charter flights from Europe, from May-Oct to Preveza airport 2miles away.

I have no personal experience of Messolonghi Marina other than what I have read on another internet forum - its generally cheaper than the Preveza marinas. It is further south down the Greek mainland and just inside the gulf of Patras. It is relatively new and its not yet finished? There was an incident in August 2010 whilst hauling a yacht and I suggest that you search on ybw.com forums (liveaboard) for further information.

The other place I know of is the island of Leros (north of Rhodes), again no personal knowledge but I've met various boat owners who recommende it. Again cheaper than Preveza and Turkey.

Do some research and Google the marinas and search the forum I suggested and I think you will find somewhere suitable.
Old 23-12-2010, 10:39   #4

Greek Marinas

Thanks a mil for the info will look into it.
loowigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 13:57   #5
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Where to Put 45' Cat on the Hard in Greece ?

This thread is old but it's of good value to know.

I'm going to haul Palarran out at Messolonghi Marina. Their price turned out to be 1/2 as much as Cleopatra. They use a 160 ton crane with spreader bars. The owner (JO) has been very quick with getting me information and they appear to have their act together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lifting catamaran.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	36218  
Old 20-01-2012, 06:45   #6
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
This thread is old but it's of good value to know.

I'm going to haul Palarran out at Messolonghi Marina. Their price turned out to be 1/2 as much as Cleopatra. They use a 160 ton crane with spreader bars. The owner (JO) has been very quick with getting me information and they appear to have their act together.
the cost to haul out round trip in Kos is 580E e for a cat- might be worth looking at
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 07:23   #7
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Thanks for the info Ram. I'd like to stay in the Ionian as we are going up to Croatia and Montenegro in 2013. The price for lifting and launching is 1063 euro less 15% if I prebook. The total price for the haulout with the 30% catamaran surcharge and including VAT is 4,400 euro for 9 months. The price is based on LOA so I would expect it to be more for Palarran.

In regards to the information on Messolonghi having a problem hauling boats, that was apparently due to undersized pads on their trailer lift, not for using a crane. I understand that has been solved also.

Tags
Greece, on the hard