Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2021, 09:45   #46
cruiser

Boat: Cargile Cutter 28'
Re: Where is my ignition coil?

"It seems like an ignition problem. So I want to replace its ignition coil, but can't find it. Where should I look. I called AutoZone, but they were no help."

They are tough to find. Have never been able to locate mine. Suggest you keep looking
and keep us posted. ---- Gotta go, Have to relieve the mail buoy watch!
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:21   #47

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

I suggest you take your cat to the vet. Somewhere along the line your cat had 19 kittens and you shouldn't count your own two feet in the total number of cat feet anyway. Unless you're a cat yourself.

The engine flames are illusions because red tabbies can look like that sometimes when they're moving fast and playing. The booming noise is from all your pots and pans falling onto the sole after the cats start playing with them.

Stuffing from a box? Real sailors have gramma's who make it from scratch using the ends from last week's bread.**

In the end I suggest evicting the cats. What you'll have is more room in your dingy. Which is a strange way of saying you'll be even more dingy after you wind up alone in a boat but it always seems to work out that way.

**No Gramma's were scratched in the making of this message.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:46   #48

Boat: Balboa 27

Hi and good morning,
Firstlee,
Let me be very clear. I Have a hangover.
Secondlee,
I do not mean to be a Cruisers Forearm budinsky! but since there is so much extra knowledge here today I will ask anyhow as I need to sort something out in my mind asap.
I am thinking of doing something a bit different from most boring circumnavigators here on CF.
I am going to circumnavigate the only other way possible to get my chance to break a record.
As soon as Covid is over and we all can sail wherever we please I will start my circumnavigation from close to here (Because thats where I am) to the top (The most north you can get) then down the other side all the way to the South (Righto, the most south you can get) and back up all the way to here again.

Do not bother nay saying me I already know I will have to go around the hard snow at the top and the bottom, Its doable!
When I am done I think I would be the first one to do it, At least I hope so or else it will be a huge waste of my time.

My only issue so far is probably because no one has done it this way there is no compass rose available for it.
All the compass roses I have ever seen have the north on top but when I finally get to the top It will be useless wont it? pretty sure I will need a different one for doing my chartwork on the way down to the south, Right?
Anyhow I cant find one that might work, like one with the South on top for when I am going Down!!
If I can not find that kind perhaps there are ones with the East on the top and the West on the bottom, that way I would not have to change it half way around (at every top and every bottom).

Thirdlee, when I get to the South part and I am really upside down will my compass simply reset itself or do I have to do something special to it? I am not worried about going over the top as I am pretty sure it will still work and should not need to reset the compass until the upside down part. Right?

Probably if they made these different compass roses available everyone would have went around this way before and I will have to find a hole Nother way to be first at something.
I am going to check in Australia for one but if anyone knows if these are available or know another way to do it please let me know.
Skipper Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:59   #49

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Why has no-one not mentioned just spreading an unobtainium fire blanket over the flaming engine? K.I.S.S.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:34   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
Why has no-one not mentioned just spreading an unobtainium fire blanket over the flaming engine? K.I.S.S.
Because he already has fire in his engine. He doesn't need unobtanium fire when the regular old fire will work.

Sheesh, you unobtainium salesmen are pushy. You're worse than those car warranty people...
Old 01-01-2021, 12:39   #51

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post
Sheesh, you unobtainium salesmen are pushy. You're worse than those car warranty people...
I am sure you are mistaken. Our new unobtainium fire blankets are woven from Moleeds in layers of 36 with each layer connected to the next with an helical energy interval which parallels powers of the number 37. The number 37 is the key that unlocks the secret of the Moleeds, and of our new fire blankets. I am sure you understand the vast power of the number 37!

Now here is where it gets tricky. 1 divided by 37 is 0.027027027027..., while 1 divided by 27 is 0.037037037037... It is this reciprocal relationship between the numbers 27 and 37 upon which all things in the universe, and therefore Moleeds, and our new fire blanket, are based. Surely the efficacy of our new unobtainium fire blanket cannot be doubted.

Pushy
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 16:12   #52

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Lee View Post

Thirdlee, when I get to the South part and I am really upside down will my compass simply reset itself or do I have to do something special to it? I am not worried about going over the top as I am pretty sure it will still work and should not need to reset the compass until the upside down part. Right?
I have not been able to get my boat to move, despite the many excellent suggestions in the forum. But I know the answer is here somewhere.

I am happy to say that I am not a newby in all things, and have some experience with right side up and upside down things.

There is a post in this thread about the interesting numbers 27 and 37. If you multiply one by the other, you get 999. 999 can be turned upside down, and it becomes 666, which some people find to have special significance. But it's ordinary significance is that it can still be read: 666 is a perfectly good number.

I had a car once with an electric antenna, and the switch was labeled up and dn. You could put the label on upside down, and never know it: it still read up/dn. I think that there is something to this. I suspect that you will not need to do anything when you start back up. The compass will work without manual resetting in the same way that my label worked.

I think that the label (and the compass, and the product of 27 and 37) may have possessed some sort of artificial intelligence, perhaps of an even higher order than "Righty Tighty/ Lefty Loosey".

I say "PRESS ON" with your special circumnavigation. You can do it!
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 17:15   #53

Boat: 35' sloop

WOW, that was a long nap. So ... now it's
april?
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 17:31   #54

Boat: Balboa 27

Great news Ken, Thanks.
I still have the Compass rose issue but if I do not find what I need when I get to the top I will just turn the map upside down like your label, Possible hack right there!
Yippee.

Ken, Best first post of the year I have ever read and I laughed out loud!
Wake up hungover on new years day open CF read that, Priceless!
Skipper Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:19   #55

this is a tough one... usually the ignition coil on diesel engines is located on the left side of the forward lazarette hatch, near the bottom.. the m-80 sounds are m-80's used to start these engines.. make sure to have plenty.. keep them in the bilge... the turkey stuffing is a good isea... bit not too much sage as this promotes wear on the bvd coupling.. good luck, this should be an easy fix.
waynetmazan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:53   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

I think I have it sussed... he needs to use a CQR Anchor to wave at the coif fire (too much hair spray?) while at the same time cooking the stuffing outside the bird (to prevent seasickness). If he can do that while cutting his two monohulls down the middle (called skinning the cat?) he can divide the total end to end length by his birth year to know what caliber of gun he must carry for safety... welcome to 2021
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:04   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
I am sure you are mistaken. Our new unobtainium fire blankets are woven from Moleeds in layers of 36 with each layer connected to the next with an helical energy interval which parallels powers of the number 37. The number 37 is the key that unlocks the secret of the Moleeds, and of our new fire blankets. I am sure you understand the vast power of the number 37!

Now here is where it gets tricky. 1 divided by 37 is 0.027027027027..., while 1 divided by 27 is 0.037037037037... It is this reciprocal relationship between the numbers 27 and 37 upon which all things in the universe, and therefore Moleeds, and our new fire blanket, are based. Surely the efficacy of our new unobtainium fire blanket cannot be doubted.

Pushy
I understand that you believe your unobtanium fire blankets are "da bomb" but fire is fire whether it's unobtainium fire or the regular plain old burn your boat to the waterline after the explosion kind of fire.

Sand. I recommend a bilge full of sand. Not only does it keep your boat on an even keel but it sops up all that nasty water that gets in there when you accidentally leave the scuttle valve open. As a bonus, the sand keeps the water from sloshing when you're trying to sleep.
Old 19-01-2021, 23:50   #58

Well.
Looking forward, that would be the 'male' engine.
Extensive research by dedicated scholars from time immemorial proves one established fact over and again... 'male' engines are always on the 'forward' side.

Accordingly, the 'flash' or 'flaming' you witnessed is a standard feature of any 'female' engine, and is nothing to concern anybody because of one simple fact -- that side is always the 'rearward' side.
Hence, you can safely ignore any and all dramatics from that source.
I know I would.

I hope this helps!
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 11:06   #59
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

all this technology isn't needed, bah, swap your cat for a long keeled cast iron lump , throw out both engines ,get a bucket for the heads and you'll make the Kerguelen islands in no time!

a couple of candles will do for nav lights etc

stupid, keep it simple , or is that "the simple keep it stupid" I never know
Old 21-01-2021, 15:32   #60

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMarge View Post
Well.
Looking forward, that would be the 'male' engine.
Extensive research by dedicated scholars from time immemorial proves one established fact over and again... 'male' engines are always on the 'forward' side.

Accordingly, the 'flash' or 'flaming' you witnessed is a standard feature of any 'female' engine, and is nothing to concern anybody because of one simple fact -- that side is always the 'rearward' side.
Hence, you can safely ignore any and all dramatics from that source.
I know I would.

I hope this helps!
It helps fantabulously! Suddenly everything is clear. So far, my sailing trip to Kansas City has been slow going at best, but I believe that your insights will provide exactly the energy I need to make a success of it. Thank you from the pit of my stomach.
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil