Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2021, 18:52   #61

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Where is my ignition coil?

I’m very very upset with the thread drift. We are up to post 61 and no one. No one. Has addressed the issue head on. The OP mentioned paper airplanes. Has anyone mentioned the issues that arise when using coated vs uncoated paper? I thought not.
If this forum keeps going this way we are all doomed.
Please focus folks!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/..._Airplane_Book

Oh and I forgot. I use Scope when I anchor. Do you?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6793.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	230839
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 12:17   #62

Re: Where is my ignition coil?

For those of you who are new to the Forum, here is an oldie-but-goodie thread that will have you laughing if you read it start to finish.

Ah, I still miss Ken Fry! Wonder what he's getting up to these days...

Fondly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 20:33   #63

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post

Ah, I still miss Ken Fry! Wonder what he's getting up to these days...
Still kickin! I seem to have a pretty good chance of having my rigid wing / solar catamaran sailing by the end of 2022.

(This is for real... no kidding)

Only the wing itself remains to be constructed. That part is quite light but fairly complicated... although the whole boat is crazy complicated for something so small. (32')

If I had a better grasp on reality when I started this project, I might not have started it. Its been fun, but far more time consuming (and therefore costly) than planned. But now, at least it looks like I have a boat in my shop, so the remaining work seems manageable. I've got my second wind.

Once it's sailing, I'll post a video or two, and might then have time to make an occasional post here regarding how the thing works... or doesn't.

Fair winds!
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 04:01   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fry View Post
Still kickin! I seem to have a pretty good chance of having my rigid wing / solar catamaran sailing by the end of 2022.

(This is for real... no kidding)

Only the wing itself remains to be constructed. That part is quite light but fairly complicated... although the whole boat is crazy complicated for something so small. (32')

If I had a better grasp on reality when I started this project, I might not have started it. Its been fun, but far more time consuming (and therefore costly) than planned. But now, at least it looks like I have a boat in my shop, so the remaining work seems manageable. I've got my second wind.

Once it's sailing, I'll post a video or two, and might then have time to make an occasional post here regarding how the thing works... or doesn't.

Fair winds!
Ken!!!

So glad to hear from you, although this post sounds far more grounded and sensible than I would have expected from you.

We never did round out this discussion with anchoring. And scope. As dfelsent says.

Happy New Year! Congrats on your almost finished project. At least you know at the end of it you'll have a boat you love. And which will make it into that shallow harbour my Tartan can't get into. (Or shall I say "into which my T can't get...") Well done.

Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 15:22   #65

Boat: Catalina Morgan 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fry View Post
Their boat is probably the same brand as mine -- so much sleeker than the average boat.

I'm pretty new here, too, and very confused by some of the terminology that gets tossed around a lot on these forums, such as the discussions as to which boats are "Bluewater" boats.

I see from the picture of Ken's sleek boat that it is most definitely blue and in the water - does this make it a "Blue waterboat"?

And if my boat isn't a bluewater boat, can I turn it into one (for example, are there watermaker gizmos that make blue water, or can I just add food coloring or somethin')?

Appreciate in advance the sage and nonjudgmental guidance I'm sure I'll receive here.
Chachere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 19:35   #66

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachere View Post
I'm pretty new here, too, and very confused by some of the terminology that gets tossed around a lot on these forums, such as the discussions as to which boats are "Bluewater" boats.

I see from the picture of Ken's sleek boat that it is most definitely blue and in the water - does this make it a "Blue waterboat"?

And if my boat isn't a bluewater boat, can I turn it into one (for example, are there watermaker gizmos that make blue water, or can I just add food coloring or somethin')?

Appreciate in advance the sage and nonjudgmental guidance I'm sure I'll receive here.

You’re on the right track with “Bluewater boats”.
These are defined as boats that carry sufficient barrels of oil (with blue dye added) to calm the seas once they get above a couple of feet.
The oil spreads out and calms the seas (and therefore reduces the wind strength) while at the same time turning the water blue.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil