Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2021, 05:24   #1
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
What Damage should I look for - Just Got Hit whilst on the dock....

Just had a 30T Steel Mono who went out in the tail of a cyclone lose his engine, drop anchor and then drag onto me in the marina. Fortunately there were a few people around and a tender helped to bring him alongside so he did not t-bone me, but with a 35Kt+ wind and the fact that they had to remove before I got there my the leeward lines holding me off the dock meant that for about 30 mins until we could get him off i was being pushed up hard against the dock, which has some very large rubber parallel fenders.

The only damage (it was dusk) that I can see is a 30CM gouge which he said came from his aluminum tender hanging off the back of him and he told me that was the only point of contact which did not have fenders in between.

I have a Lagoon 440 - What should I look out for in regards to being pushed up hard against the dock and the large rubber fenders? Should I be looking at bulkheads or hull compression damage? Should I come out of the water to check?

He is fully insured, so it will be an insurance job on his insurance.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:44   #2

Re: What Damage should I look for - Just Got Hit whilst on the dock....

Look for spider cracking of the gelcoat. I doubt is would happen against fenders. It would typically occur where there was pressure against a hard object (boat, piling, dock, etc).

It's not the only sign, and it's absence doesn't necessarily mean there isn't damage, but it's still a good indicator. I once had spider cracks that didn't show up until about a year later when dirt starting getting caught in the cracks.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:58   #3

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Have a close look at hull windows to make sure seals have not popped.
Check the chain plates and surrounds, inside and outside. If it hit any stanchions these too may be loose or cracked surrounds. Check that the mooring cleats are not bent.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 16:23   #4
UFO

Thanks - Off there today when I can see a bit better as it was getting dark and tipping it down last night when it happened
Old 07-02-2021, 16:52   #5
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Look for a good surveyor
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 19:54   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Look for a good surveyor

Boy, do I ever agree with this! Do not sign off anything until after the best surveyor you can afford has a VERY careful look at everything. Search on the International Institute of Marine Surveyors. Should be someone with experience in accident damage. Hope your damages are small and easily repaired.

Ann
Old 07-02-2021, 20:46   #7

Boat: 45f5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Boy, do I ever agree with this! Do not sign off anything until after the best surveyor you can afford has a VERY careful look at everything. Search on the International Institute of Marine Surveyors. Should be someone with experience in accident damage. Hope your damages are small and easily repaired.

Ann

100% agree. Rather find any issue now than in the future when it is all too late and now coming out of your pocket.
Apollo19.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:55   #8

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Would get a hose out and have someone hose / drench the whole topsides whilst you are below looking for leaks. Was t boned a few years ago at the start of summer and a lots of leaks only became apparent 6 months later in winter. Was compression damage that broke the seals on the windows, winches, tracks, etc; just about every fitting at the centre of the boat.

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:54   #9
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilenart View Post
Would get a hose out and have someone hose / drench the whole topsides whilst you are below looking for leaks. Was t boned a few years ago at the start of summer and a lots of leaks only became apparent 6 months later in winter. Was compression damage that broke the seals on the windows, winches, tracks, etc; just about every fitting at the centre of the boat.

Ilenart

Already found leaks from the stanchions - It was peeing it down when it happened, but hosing everything else is a good idea - Thanks.

I have a friend of a friend who is a surveyor who is going to give it a look over for me as well

I had a good look today and all is not too bad considering he could have probably sunk me if he T-boned me (30T Steel Mono in 35Kt wind), which was only avoided by someone coming out in a tender and pulling him around to come on side to side. The impact was not too hard and lots of fenders were involved - Its good to be in a club surrounded by live-aboards!
Old 08-02-2021, 08:44   #10

Boat: Leopard 45

Lucky you to have so many good friends in the marina to look after your boat and avert a disaster. If you see damage now more will most likely pop up in the future. If his insurance will cover a pull out I'd put it on the hard where you can have a surveyor take a hard look at it.
jim
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:46   #11

Boat: Catalina 470

As long as there was no significant impact, you're probably not going to have much, if any, compression damage. But as others have pointed out, get a good surveyor to thoroughly investigate.

I've been through this, sadly with a much worse outcome - my previous boat, a solidly built Morgan 462, was t-boned by a 100ft motoryacht resulting in a total loss. I'm sure your outcome will be much better than mine, not that it makes the process any easier. Best of luck!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:10   #12

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Full out of the water survey, by two unrelated surveyors,look for popped blkhds or floors or doors or lockers that jam or don’t close properly, chain plates stc ,just for a start .⚓️⛵️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:24   #13
UFO

Looks like its haul out time ... Just had a surveyor have a look an told me he cant tell much without a haulout
Old 09-02-2021, 13:14   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Keep track of the receipts, mate. Good luck with it.

Ann
JPA Cate
Old 30-04-2021, 03:06   #15
UFO

Just for closure to this thread I have eventually got back in the water - out for almost a month and over 25K in damage - Most of which was labour and hardstand fees. They found multiple areas of depressions as well as the 600mm x 10mm gouge down to the core. But all done now - They even polished that hull for me, which meant I had to go and do the other!

Just gotta dodge those crocs when I head up north!

Tags
dock