Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2023, 08:19   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Western Caribbean Passage Making on a Cat

Continued...

The route thru the Bahamas to T&C is pretty straight forward so I will skip that bit. The most you are likely to need to do is wait for some weather windows to make easting to T&C.

Once in T&C you are well positioned to make the run thru the Windward Passage.

Winds and seas compress as they make their way thru the windward passage. This increases wind speeds and makes the seas a bit larger, shorter period, and more irregular. Choose a day when the Trades have laid down a little bit. Or, if you are in for a sporty sail, jump thru on a windy day!

There is a lot of commercial traffic that transits the Windward Passage, but it sticks to the traffic separation scheme that is shown on charts. Stay well clear of the traffic separate scheme to avoid this traffic. The scheme runs close to the Cuban coast so staying to the east of it is easy.

Once clear of the Windward Passage you could sail all the way to the Bay Islands or divert to Jamaica, Caymans, S Cuba. Especially if sailing to the Bay Islands, take the complex currents of the area into consideration...this can make a significant difference in passage times.

Guanaja is the closest of the Bay Islands for making landfall. Each island in the group has its own unique character, so I recommend visiting them all.

Between the Bay Islands and mainland Honduras is a very special place called Cayos Cochinos. Sparsely populated and lightly visited.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SV DireStraits - Windward Passage.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	400.0 KB
ID:	284471  
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 10:58   #17

Continued...the final leg!

Bay Islands back to the Rio is a straight forward run, but there are a few things worth considering.

Security. The area off Punta Sal, Honduras has had some serious security issues in the past so cruisers typically give it a wide berth. If you sail the direct route from Utila to Rio Dulce it takes you relatively close to Punta Sal. I suggest sailing to Belize first and then down to the Rio...this completely avoids the issue.

Wind. Draw a line from about Ranguana Caye, Belize to Puerto Cortez, Honduras. During typical wind conditions the winds SW of this line tend be light and the sea state small. The same applies close along the Honduran coast. The winds may also back along the coast as well, so that you often get a light westerly wind along the Honduran coast. In both cases this is due the the land effect of the mountains of Honduras.

Trade Winds. As you get south of the latitude of the Bay Islands the Trade Winds start to diminish. Above this line the Trade Winds are full force. If the Trade Winds N of this line are a bit sporty for you, then just decrease your latitude till you find a more comfortable ride, but still stay WAY off Punta Sal (out of visual range).

For these reasons, I suggest sailing from the Bay Islands to Belize and then down to the Rio Dulce.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SV DireStraits - Bay Islands to Rio.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	365.6 KB
ID:	284472  
Old 18-12-2023, 04:18   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Speaking of epic tarpon fishing. The San Juan River in Nicaragua is world class.

Video of a past trip there:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b5f1b5zt1j...07-28.mp4?dl=0
Great Video....just what I am after. Thanks for sharing the vid and alll the info on the Guides.

Makes me wnt to retire RIGHT NOW!!!!
Would it be ok to PM you on some other issues?

Dennis
Direstraits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2023, 03:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direstraits View Post
Great Video....just what I am after. Thanks for sharing the vid and alll the info on the Guides.

Makes me wnt to retire RIGHT NOW!!!!
Would it be ok to PM you on some other issues?

Dennis
Great!

Do it! You never know when the game will end!
Old 19-12-2023, 06:04   #20
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Continued...the final leg!

Bay Islands back to the Rio is a straight forward run, but there are a few things worth considering.

Security. The area off Punta Sal, Honduras has had some serious security issues in the past so cruisers typically give it a wide berth. If you sail the direct route from Utila to Rio Dulce it takes you relatively close to Punta Sal. I suggest sailing to Belize first and then down to the Rio...this completely avoids the issue.

Wind. Draw a line from about Ranguana Caye, Belize to Puerto Cortez, Honduras. During typical wind conditions the winds SW of this line tend be light and the sea state small. The same applies close along the Honduran coast. The winds may also back along the coast as well, so that you often get a light westerly wind along the Honduran coast. In both cases this is due the the land effect of the mountains of Honduras.

Trade Winds. As you get south of the latitude of the Bay Islands the Trade Winds start to diminish. Above this line the Trade Winds are full force. If the Trade Winds N of this line are a bit sporty for you, then just decrease your latitude till you find a more comfortable ride, but still stay WAY off Punta Sal (out of visual range).

For these reasons, I suggest sailing from the Bay Islands to Belize and then down to the Rio Dulce.
Great posts BelizeSailor!

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2023, 07:54   #21

Gents,
Cannot say THANK YOU loud enough (can you hear me thru the internet

This is all great info and well presented - and much appreciated.

Fair Winds to you all!!! BelizeSailor - I hope to run into you in Belize sometime!!! Beers on me!!!

Dennis
Old 20-12-2023, 15:22   #22

Boat: Dragonfly 32 Supreme

Quote:
Congratulations in advance!

I dont have a YouTube channel, but I've sailed these routes on a cat and have been in the W Carib for almost 20 years now. Cruised the region and been based in Belize/Rio Dulce/Panama.

The TC-Jamaica-Bay Islands route is not bad. Time your transit well thru the Windward Passage, it can get a bit sporty but the rest is normally easy. Lots of complex currents between Jamiaca and the Bay Islands. Factoring these into your route planning can make a big difference.

I suggest leaving the Caymans out of this leg because that will take you much further West and you will have to bash a bit more to weather to gain easting to make the Bay Islands. The angle is better directly from Jamaica to Bay Islands.

The challenging bit will be returning to the Bahamas/T&C. The prevailing winds in the Florida Straits are easterlies.

Happy to discuss the region with you.
This is a great thread. We have a friend who in the last year re-located to Roatan. We’d love to visit them there and we are contemplating a trip with our Dragonfly 32 tri. They moved their 40’ sloop there this past January leaving from Mobile and getting to Roatan in 7 days. They said the biggest challenge was dealing with current flow between Cuba and Cancun having to “get under the south side of Cuba” to best deal with it.

We are thinking the best time to visit is the late winter/early spring. We would come out of Gulfport, MS and my thoughts are to get a bit east to get into the southerly flow of the Loop current until you get to the Florida straits and have to get across between the Cuba and Cancun. We looked at possibly stopping off in Isla Mujeres but our friends advised us to try to go non-stop as they said you could get held up for probably 4 days checking in and out of a Mexican port stop.

Would love any feedback about planning and routing for this trip.
DragonflyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2023, 19:03   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Great posts BelizeSailor!
Thanks Jedi !

Given your experience in the region, I take that as a high complement.
Old 21-12-2023, 19:05   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direstraits View Post
Gents,
Cannot say THANK YOU loud enough (can you hear me thru the internet

This is all great info and well presented - and much appreciated.

Fair Winds to you all!!! BelizeSailor - I hope to run into you in Belize sometime!!! Beers on me!!!

Dennis
You're welcome!
Old 21-12-2023, 19:23   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflyBob View Post
This is a great thread. We have a friend who in the last year re-located to Roatan. We’d love to visit them there and we are contemplating a trip with our Dragonfly 32 tri. They moved their 40’ sloop there this past January leaving from Mobile and getting to Roatan in 7 days. They said the biggest challenge was dealing with current flow between Cuba and Cancun having to “get under the south side of Cuba” to best deal with it.

We are thinking the best time to visit is the late winter/early spring. We would come out of Gulfport, MS and my thoughts are to get a bit east to get into the southerly flow of the Loop current until you get to the Florida straits and have to get across between the Cuba and Cancun. We looked at possibly stopping off in Isla Mujeres but our friends advised us to try to go non-stop as they said you could get held up for probably 4 days checking in and out of a Mexican port stop.

Would love any feedback about planning and routing for this trip.
Yes, if you are up for the longer run then you can catch a little boost from the Gulf Loop and avoid most of the Yucatan current by catching the E side of the Gulf Loop and making for a point just barely W of Cuba, then make directly for the Bay Islands.

Spring months would be best. I would avoid a GOM crossing in Winter. This avoids cold fronts that you don't need to make this route anyway (Especially not in the GOM where cold front conditions can get very nasty).

Heading for Utila, or at least West End, Roatan, should give you a more comfortable wind angle

Spring is also the best time to cruise the W Carib.
Old 22-12-2023, 06:50   #26

Boat: Freedom 40/40

The problem with your plan is that all that you're going to do is to sail non-stop. I thought that wanted to fish. You're not going to have much time to do that based upon your route/schedule.

Divide your plan into multiple years and enjoy where you are. I have 70K miles under my keel and have cruised all of the areas that you're talking about over the past 25 years. Why are you in such a rush? It takes a while to explore an area and to get to know it.

For example, spend a season in the Bahamas. Wonderful fishing and great sailing. Likewise for Belize. I could go on and on, but I hope that you get the picture.

The key thing to figure out is where you will be for hurricane season. Figure that out, and then back fill the rest.
geoffschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 07:15   #27

I you want to get a good flavor for the S side of Cuba, search for “ Sailing Into Freedom” you tube channel. He spent extensive time sailing diving and spear fishing the area. It was during height of Covid so he had some difficulties. Even got Covid at one point and was all on his own. Amazingly independent and capable guy. He had a number of episodes on S side of Cuba plus passagmaking in the W Caribbean. Definitely good info here.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 07:44   #28

BTDT. Your plans sound identical to what we did from 2007 to 2017 in our FP Belize 43.
First and foremost, if you plan on going to the Western Caribbean get Freyas guide FIRST. Then get the supplements made by Belizesailor. They are first hand and very valuable. My wife memorized them. Also ask him any questions by PM. He knows what he’s talking about and is very generous with his time and knowledge.

Fishing: I’m a very experienced fly fisherman and my experience is mostly without guides so adjust your plans accordingly. I can provide you with names in various countries if you like. After spending several winter in the Bahamas we loved it but the fishing is pale compared to the much less crowed Western Caribbean coast. Other than Ambergris Cay you can fish for a week and not see another fisherman in the WC. Prices in WC will be 1/10 to 1/2 of they are in the states and Bahamas. Rio Dulce is the best place to have your boats repaired.
geozeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 08:52   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffschultz View Post
The problem with your plan is that all that you're going to do is to sail non-stop. I thought that wanted to fish. You're not going to have much time to do that based upon your route/schedule.

Divide your plan into multiple years and enjoy where you are. I have 70K miles under my keel and have cruised all of the areas that you're talking about over the past 25 years. Why are you in such a rush? It takes a while to explore an area and to get to know it.

For example, spend a season in the Bahamas. Wonderful fishing and great sailing. Likewise for Belize. I could go on and on, but I hope that you get the picture.

The key thing to figure out is where you will be for hurricane season. Figure that out, and then back fill the rest.
Geoff - I understand what you are saying and the cycle can be done in a year or it can be done in 10.....I will not be in a hurry (only to get to the Rio in time for summer) One cannot reason with hurricane season....

Dennis
Old 22-12-2023, 08:57   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by geozeck View Post
BTDT. Your plans sound identical to what we did from 2007 to 2017 in our FP Belize 43.
First and foremost, if you plan on going to the Western Caribbean get Freyas guide FIRST. Then get the supplements made by Belizesailor. They are first hand and very valuable. My wife memorized them. Also ask him any questions by PM. He knows what he’s talking about and is very generous with his time and knowledge.

Fishing: I’m a very experienced fly fisherman and my experience is mostly without guides so adjust your plans accordingly. I can provide you with names in various countries if you like. After spending several winter in the Bahamas we loved it but the fishing is pale compared to the much less crowed Western Caribbean coast. Other than Ambergris Cay you can fish for a week and not see another fisherman in the WC. Prices in WC will be 1/10 to 1/2 of they are in the states and Bahamas. Rio Dulce is the best place to have your boats repaired.
Double thanks for that advice - in time I will pick your brain for fishing locations and guides. I have fished the Bahamas, Belize, Mexico and Los Roques (back when it was safe). But your experience is priceless!! Thanks for the offer.

Dennis

Tags
Caribbean, passage, rib