Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-03-2016, 03:39   #1

Boat: 13.1mtr Tasman Elite Catamaran
Vessel turned around

Hi, I own a 43' Tasman elite catamaran and on a solo trip from Sydney to cairns, Qld. It was new years day and I was between Bundaberg and the town of 1770, I was stuck in heavy seas, about 45kts, I had the main tucked away with just the Genoa out, I was streaming a warp of 200mts of 16mm rope with my dingy anchor shackled to it, on a bight. It was about 1730hrs when a larger than normal wave hit me and spun the boat around facing the way I had just come before I had a chance to do anything. The boat was on autopilot at the time and I was beside the wheel, but it happened that quick I couldn't do a thing. I was not hurt and the vessel was not damaged, I just started one of the motors, turned around and kept going. What I would like to know is how did it happen especially when I was dragging a warp and only under headsail? Has this happened to anyone else and what else could I have done for this not to have happened.
Would appreciate any feedback.

Grottie Yachtie
Grottie Yachtie is offline   Reply With Quote