Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2016, 21:58   #16

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Vessel turned around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Seriously - that is a new low in this place, so now multis aren't even good in partially protected waters in 40 knots, seriously? And people wonder why people get upset. FFS

And on the issue of "dug in a hull" I have no idea what you mean

Why on earth would he want to do that. Apart from anything else, he couldn't pull into 1770 in one.
I would not go in there if it was blowing 40 knots, particularly if the wind had any east in it.

Nothing wrong with multihulls provided they are sailed prudently.

If the boat was being sailed in a manner prudent for the conditions why was the skipper towing a warp with an anchor being used for weight in the middle?

Dig the anchor into a shallow bottom whilst sailing like a bat out of hell in the average lightly built multihull and the back ends of the hull are likely to get torn out, more chance of breaking the warp if you have a steely with big cleats.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 03:54   #17

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I would not go in there if it was blowing 40 knots, particularly if the wind had any east in it.

Nothing wrong with multihulls provided they are sailed prudently.

If the boat was being sailed in a manner prudent for the conditions why was the skipper towing a warp with an anchor being used for weight in the middle?

Dig the anchor into a shallow bottom whilst sailing like a bat out of hell in the average lightly built multihull and the back ends of the hull are likely to get torn out, more chance of breaking the warp if you have a steely with big cleats.
Mate, no-one else is going to call it, including the mods, so I will. Both your replies are rude and simply misinformed regarding multihull structural strength and seaworthiness. I continue to be amazed that certain non multi owners feel it fine to attack the owners and characteristics of multis on this forum. I often read the mono fleet threads and general sailing threads, and I cannot recall one instance of multi sailors attacking mono sailors and their craft.....it reflects poorly on you and your ilk.
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 04:11   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

So true and so sad.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 04:14   #19

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C View Post
Mate, no-one else is going to call it, including the mods, so I will. Both your replies are rude and simply misinformed regarding multihull structural strength and seaworthiness. I continue to be amazed that certain non multi owners feel it fine to attack the owners and characteristics of multis on this forum. I often read the mono fleet threads and general sailing threads, and I cannot recall one instance of multi sailors attacking mono sailors and their craft.....it reflects poorly on you and your ilk.
i find this rude too!

He got complete education about multis on CF! Dont you know world renowned multi experts like polux or guy that knows all multis only motor and other "multi knowledge" elite ?

No need to sail one to be an expert.

Actually to say the truth all experts that tried to sail multi are now tottaly crazy and it is soo bad that they sold their mono and purchased multi.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 04:33   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
i find this rude too!

He got complete education about multis on CF! Dont you know world renowned multi experts like polux or guy that knows all multis only motor and other "multi knowledge" elite ?

Actually to say the truth all experts that tried to sail multi are now tottaly crazy and it is soo bad that they sold their mono and purchased multi.
And of course, now we motor all the time and capsize every second day.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 04:50   #21

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

Maybe a couple of satellites dropped off the horizon(or the masking angle), or a couple came above the horizon and made your boat do a "recalculation".

I often wonder what the sigma for an autopilot ... that is how often things are recalculated and then computed into a course.

If it's only 5-10 seconds or so, I could imagine a potential for an incorrect heading. While observing rather static locations(per GPS), I have seen sizable, almost instantaneous jumps in survey-grade GPS when the GPS is comparatively "lost", for something like 15 seconds to over a minute, before it calms down again ad shows the more precise location. This is probably why almost everyone would probably agree that GPS is almost always more accurate than specs call for ... a sudden jump of 20 feet in location would mean the GPS/autopilot, is suddenly in a new position ... and depending on how the autopilot works, in need of a new bearing.

In heavy weather, that could be interesting ...

... just a thought
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 04:53   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
i find this rude too!

they are just jealous because it is a well known fact that multihullers:

sail faster
get the best anchor spots
attract good looking women as we have more sex appeal....
can fit more good looking women onboard than a mono....
have the best parties
can lift their dinghys and still get off the transom
have 2 engines,so more knobs to play with
have bigger and better cockpits for better parties
have a trampoline for all the good looking women we get, (to sunbathe nude on), and have better parties.
have more space for solar panels,so we can have more electrical toys and appliances so we can have better parties.
can park on the beach,and have better parties.
provide shade in the boatyard and have better parties,even when its raining

get more likes on facebook etc
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 05:03   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Vessel turned around

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
they are just jealous because it is a well known fact that multihullers:

sail faster
get the best anchor spots
attract good looking women as we have more sex appeal....
can fit more good looking women onboard than a mono....
have the best parties
can lift their dinghys and still get off the transom
have 2 engines,so more knobs to play with
have bigger and better cockpits for better parties
have a trampoline for all the good looking women we get, (to sunbathe nude on), and have better parties.
have more space for solar panels,so we can have more electrical toys and appliances so we can have better parties.
can park on the beach,and have better parties.
provide shade in the boatyard and have better parties,even when its raining

get more likes on facebook etc
Ahahahahahahaaa.. now we know why your switching from a life of mono's over to cats.. hoping to up your 'Pulling Power'...
As for the GPS affecting tiller pilots.. damn..!! I always thought they had electric controlled gimballed compasses.. which is why one has to sail around in circles and swear a lot to calibrate them... sod all to do with GPS.
Learn something new every day..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 05:33   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ahahahahahahaaa.. now we know why your switching from a life of mono's over to cats.. hoping to up your 'Pulling Power'...
As for the GPS affecting tiller pilots.. damn..!! I always thought they had electric controlled gimballed compasses.. which is why one has to sail around in circles and swear a lot to calibrate them... sod all to do with GPS.
it's that or get myself a Harley davidson

all auto pilots have their own flux gate compass's and do not rely on gps

some of the newer networked systems,can use the gps and way points,but it is crap as the AP loses it's heading if your nude nubile catamaran crew puts their rayban's on top of the antenna or the signal is not good.

it is especially bad when you have a large group of nubile females sunbathing on your catamaran.........mono sailers need not worry about this well known catamaran problem of too much hot tottie on the forward deck
Old 23-03-2016, 05:48   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Vessel turned around

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
^^^^Sarcasm^^^^

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 06:01   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grottie Yachtie View Post
I was streaming a warp of 200mts of 16mm rope with my dingy anchor shackled to it, on a bight. It was about 1730hrs when a larger than normal wave hit me and spun the boat around facing the way I had just come.......

Would appreciate any feedback.

Grottie Yachtie
Genoa out,

200m /2 = 100m in 20m or so of water with an anchor on, admittedly only a dingy anchor,

boat does 180,

on autopilot, and uncontrollable.

= kamikaze attitude.

and it would not matter if the boat had six hulls rather than one or two, it's just bad seamanship.

Request for feedback complied with. "Polite" not mentioned?
Old 23-03-2016, 06:06   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
Maybe a couple of satellites dropped off the horizon(or the masking angle), or a couple came above the horizon and made your boat do a "recalculation".

I often wonder what the sigma for an autopilot ... that is how often things are recalculated and then computed into a course.

If it's only 5-10 seconds or so, I could imagine a potential for an incorrect heading. While observing rather static locations(per GPS), I have seen sizable, almost instantaneous jumps in survey-grade GPS when the GPS is comparatively "lost", for something like 15 seconds to over a minute, before it calms down again ad shows the more precise location. This is probably why almost everyone would probably agree that GPS is almost always more accurate than specs call for ... a sudden jump of 20 feet in location would mean the GPS/autopilot, is suddenly in a new position ... and depending on how the autopilot works, in need of a new bearing.

In heavy weather, that could be interesting ...

... just a thought
If you are running a track and the GPS decides the vessel is well off track because it has just changed satellites and the vessel is close to a waypoint it appears quiet possible that the autopilot could apply a large course correction.
Old 23-03-2016, 08:07   #28

All of this is too funny.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 08:33   #29

Boat: a sailing boat

Any boat going too slow downwind is a toy to the waves. Maybe you slowed down too much. You need water flow over the rudders and keels to keep on going in any given direction. More speed, more control.

Do you happen to recall how fast you were going just before the event?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 11:44   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
All of this is too funny.
I forgot to mention, catamaran sailors also make better lovers......as unlike mono sailors ,who get seasick,we have to make our own rock and roll