Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2019, 10:56   #1

using older survey

Considering purchasing a vessel that has a 1 year old survey along with a new seller survey less then a few weeks old. . Both surverys are pretty detailed and included a haul out and rigging check from the deck of the boat. Nothing major noted as an issue.

Should I bother having my own preformed. Thinking about having a mechanic look at the engines and a rigger go up the mast but what else am I missing?
CapnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 11:35   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: using older survey

Should be okay.
You can tell with your own eyes if the boat has been abused or damaged in the meantime.
Buying my last boat I told the owner I would not need a survey as the boat was pristine and the maintenance records even more so, but the seller insisted I have it surveyed before closing. (Cash deal, no bank involved, no requirement for a survey except the seller’s request)
Unless your finance people require the survey, I would use the old ones..
Old 28-05-2019, 11:42   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
using older survey

Unless it’s a cheap boat, I’d have my own survey.
There are surveys, and there are surveys. One for Insurence for instance often won’t find much, one you pay for, you talk to the surveyor and tell him his job is to convince you to not buy the boat, and you’ll find many more things on that survey than one for insurence
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 13:25   #4

A lot depends on you own experience, if you have owned yachts for many years you will no doubt have an eye for the obvious and be aware of things that can happen just on one outing eg a severe grounding, prop wrap, etc that can damage things. Getting a rig and mechanical inspection is sensible. Also you should ask your insurer if they are happy with the surveys you mention. If you are new to yacht ownership then get your own survey and follow the surveyor around and ask plenty of questions.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 17:15   #5

I have rebuild a few monohulls but with atomic engines so I am confident on everything but the diesel side of things. Super simple but I know enough to know what I do not know. Posting this question was more of a sanity check.
CapnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 17:52   #6
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronc185 View Post
I have rebuild a few monohulls but with atomic engines so I am confident on everything but the diesel side of things. Super simple but I know enough to know what I do not know. Posting this question was more of a sanity check.
If in doubt, send a diver down to check rudder, keel and running gear in case of underwater damage since the last survey.
If it is a million $$ boat, get a new survey regardless, if a $5k boat, nah..
Old 29-05-2019, 03:54   #7

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Several good comments to combine:

5k boat, no, if you have a good eye. 50k+, I’d always survey. Cheap insurance, and you’ll sleep better.

Most, if not all, banks won’t accept a 1 yr old survey.

I had a seller offer a 1 yr old survey recently. While visually inspecting the boat we found what looked like a 2’ square mis-matched repair on the outside of the port bow, as though it had been holed and then repaired and they didn’t match the gel coat. I asked the owner what it was and he said he had no clue. Interestingly, I have the photos of the boat before he bought it, and the repair in question was not there.

There were several other items and issues we didn’t like.
We rescinded our offer.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey