Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 28-07-2017, 12:45   #3841

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Nice Cavalier, Plenty of cubby holes too i notice.
You need to be able to get through easily so the table must hinge which works well.
Seating and laying down is the one of the most important aspect for me and i see you have both there in the living area. On both sides no doubt.
Nice vanish work thats a real boat feel.
Thanks for the pic
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 22:22   #3842

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Thanks Rossad. The table is a variation of one that folds out to both sides from the center which would be good for a Searunner. Smaller for daytime and big to each side for meals.

Mine folds out to the side which works for boats like Cross and Crowther tris with the single side settee. When folded in half it will feed 3 or hold a couple laptops without blocking the passage. Of course with the raised seating you have enough room to go under it if the need arises. The varnish isn't to Bristol standards. I use water base for low sheen and easy touch up which an adventure boat needs.

I like the Searunner great cabin feel too, all boats are compromises and most are fine to work with. The tris with fewer options for cruising are the non wingdeck ones which have to have the seats double as bunks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170728_213219237.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	152931  
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 22:26   #3843

Hey Guys, just curios, do any of these tables in these cruisers drop to make a double bunk ?
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 22:30   #3844

Hey Red, my front bunks turn into a great double as does the starboard wing bunk and the quarter cabin bunk qualifies as a snug double. Why would I want another? I went for light weight, stowability and flexibility.
Old 31-07-2017, 04:06   #3845

Boat: Boatless

Maybe this is the wrong thread to put this in but I'm wondering if some of you guys know of a reasonably priced yard for winter storage for my 31ers? Preferably on the East Coast.

Some of you may know that I've had this on the market for quite some time. Hardly any lookers even.

It's not worth that much so I decided to sail around all summer and I'm contemplating taking it down to Florida for storage for the winter and a sale over to Bahamas. After that who knows I may just give it away.

BTW. It would be nice to get some help and Company bringing it down so if anybody knows anybody let me know. I've sailed to the BVI from New York on the outside a couple times but never took the ICW. If I go bye myself I'll probably go that way
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 07:21   #3846

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
Maybe this is the wrong thread to put this in but I'm wondering if some of you guys know of a reasonably priced yard for winter storage for my 31ers? Preferably on the East Coast.

Some of you may know that I've had this on the market for quite some time. Hardly any lookers even.

It's not worth that much so I decided to sail around all summer and I'm contemplating taking it down to Florida for storage for the winter and a sale over to Bahamas. After that who knows I may just give it away.

BTW. It would be nice to get some help and Company bringing it down so if anybody knows anybody let me know. I've sailed to the BVI from New York on the outside a couple times but never took the ICW. If I go bye myself I'll probably go that way
If you give it away give it to a charitable org. and take a tax write off. If you don't need a write off at least it will help charity. I gave one too a charity in the Fort Myers area. They handled everything including an appraisal for my taxes. PM me and I'll try to dig up the info. if interested.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 13:11   #3847

Boat: 1974 Cal 29

Jimske- when do you want to sail south? I am on the Gulf Coast of FL and work for a school, so my summers are free. Also have varying amounts of free time during Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring Breaks.

Keep in mind that winter and spring are the sailing seasons down here. Summer and Fall are unbearably hot and fraught with zephyrs punctuated by Hurricanes.

Glades is the southern / central storage depot for sailboats in FL. Anything left over the summer months will be overgrown with mildew and worse if left unattended.

The Gulf Coast is safer during Hurricane season, as the storms have to make a pretty sharp turn of over 90° just to make landfall here. It's also a great jumping-off point to the Keys.

There is also the option of leaving the boat stored in the water with someone watching after it. Preferably a financially invested party to keep it from being neglected. They would be responsible for moving the boat to, and securing it in a "Hurricane Hole" for any serious, predicted events.
Seafarer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:26   #3848

Boat: Searunner, 37'

I have listed my boat on Craigslist. The link to the ad is https://providence.craigslist.org/boa/6260841566.html

If anyone is interested you can call me at 401-297-9652. I have a friend nearby that will be able to show the boat, or I can just tell you where it is. You should contact my service manager at Hinckley Yacht Services before visiting the boat. I will provide his name when you call.

The ad reads: 1987 Searunner 37 Trimaran with recent extensive structural renovations and modifications. Modifications include twin steering stations, new centerboard, repair of all rot, twin outboard motors, and paint. There are still some cosmetic repairs that need to be done. A 12' rowboat is included. The boat dimensions are 37' x 22' 3" x 3' 6" draft, board up, 6' 6" board down. Details of renovations can be seen at https://buildingmytrimaran.shutterfly.com/ The asking price is $29,000 obo.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:09   #3849

Boat: Searunner, 37'

I have listed my boat on Craigslist. The link to the ad is https://providence.craigslist.org/boa/6260841566.html

If anyone is interested you can call me at 401-297-9652. I have a friend nearby that will be able to show the boat, or I can just tell you where it is. You should contact my service manager at Hinckley Yacht Services before visiting the boat. I will provide his name when you call.

The ad reads: 1987 Searunner 37 Trimaran with recent extensive structural renovations and modifications. Modifications include twin steering stations, new centerboard, repair of all rot, twin outboard motors, and paint. There are still some cosmetic repairs that need to be done. A 12' rowboat is included. The boat dimensions are 37' x 22' 3" x 3' 6" draft, board up, 6' 6" board down. Details of renovations can be seen at https://buildingmytrimaran.shutterfly.com/ The asking price is $29,000 obo.

Equipment:

Sails - main, yankee, staysail, genoa, 1/2 oz spinnaker
Engines - 1979 15hp Johnson outboard, electric start; 1981 15hp Johnson outboard, electric start
Electronics = new VHF radio, handheld VHF radio, Garmin chartplotter, autopilot (not functioning), EPIRB
Miscellaneous - new alcohol stove, Yamaha generator, 12' rowboat, new mattress in forward cabin, 4 bilge pumps (one in each ama, two in main hull), gusher pump, four 105 amp-hour house batteries, 2 outboard motor starting batteries (linked to house batteries), one solar battery charger, supply of repair materials (epoxy, paint, KiwiGrip)
Old 12-08-2017, 08:57   #3850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer24 View Post
Jimske- when do you want to sail south? I am on the Gulf Coast of FL and work for a school, so my summers are free. Also have varying amounts of free time during Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring Breaks.

Keep in mind that winter and spring are the sailing seasons down here. Summer and Fall are unbearably hot and fraught with zephyrs punctuated by Hurricanes.

Glades is the southern / central storage depot for sailboats in FL. Anything left over the summer months will be overgrown with mildew and worse if left unattended.

The Gulf Coast is safer during Hurricane season, as the storms have to make a pretty sharp turn of over 90° just to make landfall here. It's also a great jumping-off point to the Keys.

There is also the option of leaving the boat stored in the water with someone watching after it. Preferably a financially invested party to keep it from being neglected. They would be responsible for moving the boat to, and securing it in a "Hurricane Hole" for any serious, predicted events.
Thanks for the offer and the information. Right now I'm planning to leave sometime toward the end of September. I'd like to be on the east coast and go to the Bahamas this winter but I'm open to any options really. I'm also considering a joint venture or a share. I'm also considering just storing it for the summer months out of the water and using it in the winter.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:25   #3851

Boat: 1974 Cal 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
Thanks for the offer and the information. Right now I'm planning to leave sometime toward the end of September. I'd like to be on the east coast and go to the Bahamas this winter but I'm open to any options really. I'm also considering a joint venture or a share. I'm also considering just storing it for the summer months out of the water and using it in the winter.
Are you aware of Sail To The Sun Rally led by Wally Moran?

September and October are prime time for Hurricanes. The established method is to wait until after season ends, then ride a cold front down.
Seafarer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 14:08   #3852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer24 View Post
Are you aware of Sail To The Sun Rally led by Wally Moran?

September and October are prime time for Hurricanes. The established method is to wait until after season ends, then ride a cold front down.
No I wasn't aware of that rally. I did go on the rally to the 1500 some years ago. I've made the trip to the BVI and back twice on the outside. Never done the inside. Going alone I'm thinking about day hopping as much as possible and going inside. I have plenty of time.
Old 13-08-2017, 07:06   #3853

Boat: Searunner 40

My SR40 deck lockers are badly designed and rotten, I would like to design the new ones better than they were originally designed and built.
The idea of the wet lockers is good, but they are prone to rotting out.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve on Brown's original design?
They have changed from wet lockers to "rot lockers.
sea dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 13:00   #3854

What I'd suggest is good ventilation, drainage, epoxy coating and a sealing hatch like what the amas have. I'm not sure if you guys have seen things like this, excuse the sketch, but it is a wing aka vent system used by Dick Newick in his Tris with the flowing molded wing deck like 3 Cheers. These vent the inaccessible places not used for accommodations.

It is made of simple pvc pipe of 2-3 inches in diameter. The openings through the straight pipe at deck and underwing work better than a Dorade for airflow. The 45 degree branch at the top lets air into the wing while keeping deck water out. The cowling on the wing bottom, closed forward open aft lets air through but deflects the waves.

You still have a well drain so damp things inside drain out but the vent will take care of the moisture build up from wet rope, fenders etc.... 2 would be even better than one for a cross flow. If 2 wet hatch areas that are adjacent have vent holes through the wing frame or partition between them the pvc vents in each will set up a good flow between the compartments.

I should have shown the 45 degree part of the pvc vent pointing aft on the sketch. In the unlikely event of overtaking waves sending water through the cowl on a downwind run having the vent point aft will send most of the water out the deck opening and not into the compartment. What does come through hits the back wing frame and drips down the wall to the compartment drain, away from the majority of the locker contents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170813_121037736.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	154051  
Old 13-08-2017, 16:37   #3855

Bob Wilson, owner of Rattle and Hum, an SR37 I think, developed an extensive venting system to keep the interior dry and free of mildew. It used aft facing pvc elbows let into the underwings that created a strong suction to enhance airflow in the boat while sailing or at anchor, combined with several air inlets. This was done both to the main hull and amas, and according to his article it was quite successful. The article can be found here:

VentSystem1

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran