Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 18-06-2017, 08:31   #3721

Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Anybody seen photos of a solid wing Searunner where the wings are split in such a way that they can be removed with the amas? I saw a photo of a Searunner.... 37 I think... some time back that was built this way. H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 08:55   #3722

Boat: Searunner, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer24 View Post
Please tell us more about the boat and what you've done to it. This will help us to compare it to other Searunners we have seen for sale.
Go to the link below my name. That site has everything I have had to done to the boat.

There are plenty of other links to Searunners and a bunch of articles on "stuff" too.
Old 22-06-2017, 12:37   #3723

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewett_john View Post
Go to the link below my name. That site has everything I have had to done to the boat.

There are plenty of other links to Searunners and a bunch of articles on "stuff" too.
I have decided on an asking price of $46.5k, but that is only an asking price. If someone looks at the boat and makes an offer I will probably take the offer, provided it isn't crazy low.
Old 22-06-2017, 13:15   #3724

Boat: Farrier f27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewett_john View Post
I have decided on an asking price of $46.5k, but that is only an asking price. If someone looks at the boat and makes an offer I will probably take the offer, provided it isn't crazy low.
How about some details? The photos I looked at were interesting but not too definitive.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 04:02   #3725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
How about some details? The photos I looked at were interesting but not too definitive.
I will work on more photos this weekend and will repost when I have put them on the webpage.
Old 24-06-2017, 04:05   #3726

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I will work on more photos this weekend and will repost when I have put them on the webpage.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:00   #3727

In looking at the Searunner specifications, the "payload" specifications are a bit disturbing. The three that are in my "target zone", the 31, 34, and 37, range from 1500 lbs up to 2500 lbs payload. I'm not sure what all is included in "payload" even after reading Jim's books, The case for the cruising trimaran, and Searunner Trimarans. Presumably it includes crew and gear, water, fuel, food.... Loaded for a passage with a crew of 2, it would be very difficult to keep within the 1500 lb figure. 30 days minimal water for a crew of 2 (1/2 gallon per day per person) comes in at 252 lbs, or a full 1/6th of the total payload. 400 pounds of flesh and blood, and you are up to nearly half the payload......... everything else, food, gear, etc, must fit within an 848 pound limit. While 30 days is probably longer than most passages would take, it would be foolish doing an ocean crossing with less in my opinion. Bitter experience has taught me not to depend on the environment to provide, but to regard it as a "gift" when it does. Chances are you will see rain on a passage, and should be able to collect it. A gutter system is a no brainer, but banking on it is another thing. Likewise, one may catch fish......... or may not, and you may or may not have problems with mechanical systems....... spares are a must. Cruising has been described as fixing your boat in exotic places..... Taken altogether, it makes 1500 lbs a virtually impossible target. That means over loading, losing speed, reduced safety margin, etc. The crew of 1-4 would apply to coastal sailing only.....2 would be a maximum for a long passage. The 37 offers another 1000 lbs payload. Enough to set out on a laid back circumnavigation with a crew of 2 some spares, etc, but it's very easy to go through 1000 lbs........ Tools and spares would eat up a lot of that pretty quickly. I'm reminded of back packing large portions of the Pacific Crest Trail in the early 70's, and packing for 7-10 days, trying to carry adequate food, stove, fuel, water, tent, sleeping bag, etc, and keep the pack weight down to around 30 lbs....... I carried the tent, but still always had the lightest pack. I learned what foods were extremely light, filling and nutritious. Never bought fancy freeze dried meals, everything came from Safeway. The longest trek between food drops was 11 days........... But in those days you could drink the water in the mountains. I'm not interested in living like a backpacker on passages. Cravings taught us a lot about nutrition, and on those long treks we ran our resources down. The longest was 21 days with two food drops. We knew by then to include the things we would be craving, in the food drops........ heavy things, and to pig out, consuming those things like gluttons before continuing up the trail, so we wouldn't have to carry them. At sea, some fresh growing lettuces, chives, etc, and sprouts, would make a big difference. That dorado or tuna would be a gift from the Gods. I can only assume that those who are sailing trimarans on long passages are virtually all overloaded................ H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 14:12   #3728

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

owly i think your absolutely right. Whats more from my experience its Ok to over load the centre hull. I have been in a couple of serious situations with mountainous seas and massive winds unmeasurable with a loaded 37ft Searunner on the continental shelf of NZ Wow it come through so well. Loaded Searunners just don't pick up the swell so much. Don't accelerate and heel slower.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 15:21   #3729

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Darn it Rossad I've been doing it all wrong, I don't overload. I also can't figure out how to take hundreds of pounds of tools and spares.
Lets see, some epoxy, stringer material, ply can be floor boards or that chart table. A few rigging odds and ends like a turnbuckle, clevis pins, cotter keys, some shackles and spare line. A spare prop for the outboard because it is log country, Minimal mechanic wrenches but enough to unbolt the motor and throw it over if really becomes upsetting. Some wood working hand tools like hammer and saw, hand crank drill with a few bits, low angle block plane and a couple chisels, geez I can build a boat with that much. Some spare bolts and screws. Sail repair kit and duct tape. I'm up to maybe 25- 30 pounds here but don't want more as then I might have to use it and this will get me home.
The key to making it work is avoiding crew who belong in a monohull. Elbow room = good! Filling it up with junk = bad.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 15:27   #3730

Boat: 44 CC Marples design trimaran

Here's my input from the cheap seats. Our previous Searunner was a 31 with cross arms. She was old, stinky and badly dry rotted but we never lacked for places to put things. We never really took her on any long trips, so capacity was not really an issue.
Our new trimaran (under construction) is the CC 44 center cockpit. We deliberately went with the "wide body cruising design". It was John's modification of the design to make the center hull "fatter" and the amas were about 2" deeper. We have added extra tankage and cabinet work, but kept it as light as was reasonable. I suspect that we will be on the "heavy" side. For us, that's just fine. We are a couple with four small children so we will need to have enough "stuff" to keep the crew healthy and happy. They are definitely not of the backpack mentality. So while we may not be able to blow the racing monos around the buoys, I expect that we will be a whole lot more comfortable and happy with a few extra pounds around the middle
PhantomBoatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 15:37   #3731

Boat: Farrier f27

I did a 24 day crossing with 3 people in a 31'Searunner and loading is to be taken seriously. Water storage does limit range and the best solution these days is a watermaker and then you have to have substantial power generating capacity. Because of that my choice in a boat would be something in the mid 30' range with a diesel and solar. KISS system is comprised with the increasingly complicated and number of systems to maintain. The happiest cruisers are the ones not buried in maintenance at the end of a passage.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 16:23   #3732

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

I took my KISS page from Dick Newick and skipped the modern inconveniences. No refrigeration, complicated head, pressure water, water heater,. Hand held electronics only. Skip everything else that boat shows tell people to get. This does let us bring some extra personal items. I like the watermaker idea but want to hook up the manual version so people exercise, flab uses payload.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 16:26   #3733

Boat: Presto 36

Although I sail a monohull I do admire the looks of multihulls. Years ago in Wooden Boat Magazine there was a Chris White designed tri named "Jupiter" I believe. She was beautiful. Is anyone here familiar with her? ?
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 16:32   #3734
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
Although I sail a monohull I do admire the looks of multihulls. Years ago in Wooden Boat Magazine there was a Chris White designed tri named "Jupiter" I believe. She was beautiful. Is anyone here familiar with her? ?

She is for sale for a good price.
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1981...20/Puerto-Rico
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 16:57   #3735

Boat: Presto 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Thank you so very much. I always admired her cold molded hull. It still looks good. High tech stuff in her day.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran