Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 13-01-2017, 13:59   #3526

Boat: Still building
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Not that I'm aware of - requires a different gearbox.

The Seagull Plus models have a much more bulbous gearbox to contain the much larger gears that provide the reduction effect, which naturally increases the thrust of the motor. And drag, too.

Incidentally, Seagull used a "static thrust dynamo" to rate their motors - so the 'HP' ratings are not *actual* "shaft horsepower" as you might expect, but rather a combination of the ACTUAL horsepower generated by the one-lunger, multiplied by the gear reduction.

I'm not sure what actual HP is, but have seen estimates of around 1.5-2HP "at the crankshaft" from the larger motor's 102cc.

The Plus models usually were rated at 5-6HP, depending on the specific gearing for each model.

'Boxes are theoretically swappable, but in practice not always possible.

Though I know of a few of the Kiwi 'Seagulkl racers' who have swapped the smaller (but higher geared 1:2 ratio) gearbox form the 1950's Forty Minus onto a later Silver Century to provide a faster-turning prop.

'Allegedly' this makes a boat move faster through the water.

But the larger 102cc Plus models with either the 11" or 13" prop were capable fo pushing large, laden, 20-30ft workboats and barges in calmer waters at around 3-4kts.

Try doing that with a 2-3HP Yamazukonda!

So it beats rowing, but not much else!
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 13:59   #3527

Boat: Searunner 37 "Aloha"
Thumbs up Jim Brown - Podcast and more

Hey guys just wanted to give everyone a heads up on legendary multihull designer and all around great guy Jim Brown. He has been doing these really entertaining podcast or as he calls the Capercast. Take a few minutes and check them out they are entertaining and informative. Jim as been all over and knows lots of multihull legends so the stories are packed with loads of good info. Also Jim is seeking some funding to keep this series going and I would encourage everyone to pony up a few bucks to keep this really neat deal going. As a Searunner owner and multihull guy I think it is great that we have the chance to particiapate in getting Jim's stories out there

Links to Jim's podcast and his Patreon page

Nautical Lore (Modern) - Podcasts with Jim Brown | OutRig Media

www.patreon.com/outrig
captcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 08:53   #3528

Boat: Islander 34

just saw this Searunner 34 posted on Craigslist, looks like it needs some TLC but the price is certainly right! https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/6004071099.html
Old 16-02-2017, 08:56   #3529

Boat: Islander 34

also hey guys! I'm back in Mexico, living/working on my Searunner 37 s/v TIE Fighter in the boatyard in San Carlos near s/v Corazòn. I'll be cruising Mexico until late April, then heading off on a sailing adventure in my little monohull s/v Little Wing.

I've started posting on my blog again (sort of, not much there yet) at disengage.ca, and I'm posting lots of Searunner boatyard project pics on Instagram as the user 'mux23'. glad to be back!
Old 16-02-2017, 09:51   #3530

Boat: Searunner, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew23 View Post
also hey guys! I'm back in Mexico, living/working on my Searunner 37 s/v TIE Fighter in the boatyard in San Carlos near s/v Corazòn. I'll be cruising Mexico until late April, then heading off on a sailing adventure in my little monohull s/v Little Wing.

I've started posting on my blog again (sort of, not much there yet) at disengage.ca, and I'm posting lots of Searunner boatyard project pics on Instagram as the user 'mux23'. glad to be back!
Good to see you back. Your TIE Fighter posts were always a favorite of mine.
Old 16-02-2017, 12:52   #3531

Boat: SeaRunner 34

and Corazón is back in Mexico too. I bought this boat just to goo it together and fine tune in some lagoon where it's warmer. year three of getting ready to go. tried to post here but was frustrated by the user interface. Just as well...I need to work with my hands not my thumbs.
Corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:40   #3532

Boat: Searunner Trimaran 25

Looking forward to splashing next week! 4.5 year restoration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0997.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	142501   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0994.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	142502  

Name:	IMG_3865.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	142503  
slowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:08   #3533

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Congrats! At least you are launching early is the year, the weather is bound to improve.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:40   #3534

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

Great to see the Searunner folks still doing it from the deep south. So much rain here right now could sink a ship.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:55   #3535

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossad View Post
Great to see the Searunner folks still doing it from the deep south. So much rain here right now could sink a ship.
Same here Rossad.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 15:55   #3536

Boat: Searunner 37 1974 #25

I own the Searunner 37 "Honeywind" #25 and I want to share some of the nice features the builder and former owners designed (I take no credit). The first pic is the dingy bunks that sit right behind the aft hatch which gets the dingy out of the way for crossings but also blocks the view aft. In the same pic is the sterncastle water catching system. Rainwater is funneled down the port and starboard inch high outboard rails and then down a tube.

Pic #2 is the port side tube on the inside looking aft. The hoses merge and run to a three way valve. One goes to a spigot in the galley for cooking water and the other goes to the freshwater holding tank. I can get about 1 gallon every five minutes in a steady rain.

Pic #3 is the tramp I installed a few years ago. I had the good folks at Brunson Net & Supply Inc cut two nets to my specs for about $85 each. So far so good.

Pic #4 is my pivoting helm station. You lift the lever at the bottom and it will pivot so folks can side by.

Pic #5 is the helm in the normal position ready to sail and the hard dodger. I know many searunner folks have asked about dodgers in the past, so I wanted to include mine. It is great in a crossing and foul weather, but it can get a little hot in the Florida summer. There are two small hatches on top when open that do vent fresh air at anchorage which is nice. One nice addition from my wife is attached to the bottom of the bimini. She sewed a couple strings of solar powered twinkle lights which provide very nice soft nightlight (it looks like starry nights from the cockpit).

Thanks for letting me share some of my boat features.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dingy bunk and rain rail.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	143225   Click image for larger version

Name:	water catching system.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	355.0 KB
ID:	143226  

Name:	Tramp.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	143227   Click image for larger version

Name:	helm.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	143228  

Name:	Helm, dodger, and bimini lights.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	143229  
Captryan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 17:16   #3537

Boat: Searunner 34

Very nice CaptRyan, thanks for sharing.
PJOHara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 00:42   #3538

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

Nice to see some innovation for the Searunner. I like the pedal stool and wheel.
I would have thought that getting water just from the Stern castle was a little bit small area but then it would be cleaner water.
I think these Searunners are well worth the effort to make special adjustments. They really are worth the effort because of their design and practicality that is seriously clever.
Out in mine today just motoring down the coast hardly using any fuel cruising at 2000 Rpm doing 5.7 knots with a Yanmar 30Hp. I think it equates to just 1 litre of diesel per hour. Its nothing. Keeping them light is essential for all the benefits especially while sailing.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 03:03   #3539

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Like the dinghy mount. My 31' had something similar. Which is a really nice feature, since on most cruising boats, a spot for stowing the dink definitely IS NOT part of the designer's thought processes when drawing up the boat. At least not in the last half century or so.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 03:32   #3540

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrng View Post
In monos I’m not terribly enamored with center cockpits below about 40 feet – used to live aboard a heavier 42 center cockpit… the largish, semi-protected cockpit is nice, of course, but occurs right in the middle of the most useable portion of the boat… all other factors being equal (are they ever…), I've grown to prefer aft-cockpits and a compact, but unbroken, cabin…

Not sure how all that translates into in trimarans… Am just about half-way through Chris White’s book and am taken by the common sense and simple utility of his Juniper design… admittedly his book is a tad dated now, but not in bad way… progress has been made in hull form since hw wrote the book, I’d guess, but the more I read about the technology “conflicts” (vinylester v. epoxy v. carbon fiber v. whatever…) the more I’m convinced this is an avenue I’d not like to take… I was around experimental aviation twenty-five years ago and saw almost the same metamorphosis… Burt Rutan brought his little, modestly affordable canards (which stole the thunder of the tube and cloth guys) and within a decade folks were wrapped up in carbon fiber autoclaves and the prices had skyrocketed into the ionosphere for some truly grotesque looking creations… admittedly there was performance to be had, but soon high-tech, and those titillated by same, were in a world all their own… made good magazine copy, but little else… and a quarter century later, most are gone…

I’d like to see something along the elegantly simple lines of Marples CC 35As, or some such… seems like plenty of room for a cruising couple, but not so sumptuous accommodations that guests stick around past their flight home… granted, a heavier displacement mono might haul more weight, but if one needs an extra quarter ton because epoxy and ply were used instead of autoclaved carbon fiber, well another half a foot or so of waterline should get the performance back with little or no sacrifice in utility…

But I read on…
Interesting comments. Have an older Nicol design, and she seems plenty capable and still strong enough to hold her own in somewhat ugly conditions after some 25 or so years of use and 3 owners.

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran