Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 27-05-2013, 17:08   #2206

Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Thanks for that Mark
I have a few days to look for plastic
The thru bolts corroded where they passed through the mast. Is Tef-Gel a good idea? Everything has aircraft style bolts so I won't need lock-tight.
I have Gorilla tape .... but I bet I can ask on the net tomorrow and find some sheet plastic
dale d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 11:13   #2207

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale d View Post
Thanks for that Mark
I have a few days to look for plastic
The thru bolts corroded where they passed through the mast. Is Tef-Gel a good idea? Everything has aircraft style bolts so I won't need lock-tight.
I have Gorilla tape .... but I bet I can ask on the net tomorrow and find some sheet plastic

ANTI-SEIZE:
TefGel is the best, if isolating the threads a bit, and providing anti-seize is the point. It is particularly good on turnbuckles!

The thing is, you really need to keep the water out of the interface too. I would either TefGel the threads only, and caulk the rest, including under the fastener heads... OR, Use caulk on the entire fastener, under the head, the back of the hardware, etc.

This should provide some anti-seize as well, and by keeping the water out, it helps limit the corrosion that causes seizing in the first place.

PLASTIC GASKET:
Teflon or a UV resistant plastic is best, but In a pinch, you could use a Clorox bottle. IF you only need them under the winch bases, they will be out of the sun. Cut it 1/8" larger than just the bronze bases (= the winches bolt on feet)...

Mark
Old 30-05-2013, 09:28   #2208

We are looking at a Searunner 34 on Sunday. It is our first foray into multihull (potential) ownership. What are the indicators of a well-built tri that we need to look for, and are there trouble spots we need to check?

In addition, are there any families here on a 34' SR?

Robin
rlkrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 11:11   #2209
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

robin

Perhaps Serenity is the boat you're looking at? there are a wide range of issues one must be aware of when inspecting a custom boat like a Searunner. I am in the marine repair business and would be happy to work with you on a thorough inspection process.

cheers,
Jeff Goff
Old 30-05-2013, 12:09   #2210

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlkrest View Post
We are looking at a Searunner 34 on Sunday. It is our first foray into multihull (potential) ownership. What are the indicators of a well-built tri that we need to look for, and are there trouble spots we need to check?

In addition, are there any families here on a 34' SR?

Robin

Robin,
This is a VERY complex question, and the answers would easily fill a book. You can get a feel for what goes into a good "one off" trimaran, by going back and reading this thread. That may take a while!

Obviously, the best boats that would command the highest price, were built more recently in the WEST system, and are carefully painted with LP paints. This is IF they are ALSO well built and lovingly maintained.

With Searunners, like any other homemade boats, they vary by 1,000%. My guess is that only the top 10% will offer you a "good trip" without a LOT of work first. The others offer more of a constantly demanding, boat project, along with your adventure. For many industrious folks, the low asking price makes this "renovate it first", a price worth paying.

To make a good choice, you need the help of a custom built wood/epoxy multihull surveyor. Less than 1% of the surveyors out there would fit the bill! Without this, making the right purchase choice is unlikely for the uninitiated.

The SR34 is "the best of the best" of the older trimaran designs, imo, except as it relates to size. It is hard to deny that the larger Searunners have more room and a nicer motion at sea.

In general, there is a reason that old trimarans have a lower market value, yet the best of these boats are wonderful, fast, seaworthy cruisers. It IS a risk! The same is true of 30 year old FRP monohulls too, but they have a relatively consistent track record within their brand, so their value is easier to assess.

Personally, I don't think that the initial purchase of an old "custom built" trimaran OR long term cruising on it, should be attempted by people without basic boatbuilding skills first. We're talking basic wiring, plumbing, rigging, and epoxy/glassing, as well as painting.

You CAN hire this all done if you never leave the beaten path, but this is very expensive over time, and competent workers in these materials are increasingly rare.

If one is part way there already... pretty handy with tools, and needs to learn basic boatbuilding skills, I suggest you build a dinghy or skiff FIRST, even if it's from a kit.

This is a GREAT start: Welcome to
It is Russel Brown's business, (Jim Brown's son). He is a brilliant designer in his own right, and these are very nice designs that are easy to build. After that, then decide if owning an old "custom built" trimaran is for you. It has another advantage of starting you out with your own self built dinghy.

Old trimaran ownership can be quite rewarding, but is often a wonderful OR terrible road to set out on, and NOT to be taken unadvisedly. Do your homework on this one!

Mark
Old 30-05-2013, 13:36   #2211

Mark, thanks for the information. I have made a dent in the thread and learned much, and will continue to absorb the experiences here.

R.
rlkrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 20:30   #2212

Boat: Searunner 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
Robin,
This is a VERY complex question, and the answers would easily fill a book. You can get a feel for what goes into a good "one off" trimaran, by going back and reading this thread. That may take a while!

Obviously, the best boats that would command the highest price, were built more recently in the WEST system, and are carefully painted with LP paints. This is IF they are ALSO well built and lovingly maintained.

With Searunners, like any other homemade boats, they vary by 1,000%. My guess is that only the top 10% will offer you a "good trip" without a LOT of work first. The others offer more of a constantly demanding, boat project, along with your adventure. For many industrious folks, the low asking price makes this "renovate it first", a price worth paying.

To make a good choice, you need the help of a custom built wood/epoxy multihull surveyor. Less than 1% of the surveyors out there would fit the bill! Without this, making the right purchase choice is unlikely for the uninitiated.

The SR34 is "the best of the best" of the older trimaran designs, imo, except as it relates to size. It is hard to deny that the larger Searunners have more room and a nicer motion at sea.

In general, there is a reason that old trimarans have a lower market value, yet the best of these boats are wonderful, fast, seaworthy cruisers. It IS a risk! The same is true of 30 year old FRP monohulls too, but they have a relatively consistent track record within their brand, so their value is easier to assess.

Personally, I don't think that the initial purchase of an old "custom built" trimaran OR long term cruising on it, should be attempted by people without basic boatbuilding skills first. We're talking basic wiring, plumbing, rigging, and epoxy/glassing, as well as painting.

You CAN hire this all done if you never leave the beaten path, but this is very expensive over time, and competent workers in these materials are increasingly rare.

If one is part way there already... pretty handy with tools, and needs to learn basic boatbuilding skills, I suggest you build a dinghy or skiff FIRST, even if it's from a kit.

This is a GREAT start: Welcome to
It is Russel Brown's business, (Jim Brown's son). He is a brilliant designer in his own right, and these are very nice designs that are easy to build. After that, then decide if owning an old "custom built" trimaran is for you. It has another advantage of starting you out with your own self built dinghy.

Old trimaran ownership can be quite rewarding, but is often a wonderful OR terrible road to set out on, and NOT to be taken unadvisedly. Do your homework on this one!

Mark
An excellent honest post Mark.
sea dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:03   #2213

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

Yes Mark that was a very honest and more importantly relevant post. Buying into an older Searunner one needs skills. One needs to understand that these boats are a part of life really. You live with them and they live with you.
Searunners can give you the best of what a boat can give but also the worst i suppose. It all comes down to how good you are with you own efforts.
In 2013 who has any time to sail work sail work. No to many people.... more people want it easier. Searunners are not an easy road but so gratifying. Like Roy i would do it all again. It is a very rewarding path. Jim Brown possible created it and many are living the dream. Like Luke and many others. Remember learning and accomplishment is part of the deal. I think thats what its all about really. How lucky we are.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:09   #2214

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I hauled out yesterday, so far so good. The boat in the background is 200 feet long. It gave me a bit of perspective as I am about to sand the bottom. Ah, well, time to drink a couple cups of strong coffee, gobble some breakfast and head for the boatyard, it'll be a very long day. Pictures later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0625.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	61672  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 15:19   #2215

Boat: Farrier TT720, Windrider 17

Well, the Searunner folding 31 is finally working properly.
Had problems with the lower a-frame brackets bending, but fixed that by adding one more brace.
I'm using a small boom truck to raise the hulls up and then bolting the hinges in place.
Works slicker that ever.
Ends up being just under 13ft wide folding, so need permits, but they are easy to get and cheap. Some cities require city permit plus the state permit.
Any how, I am so happy to finally having the folding done.
Everyone said a folding 31 was not practical, I am very happen to do it.
Have pictures if anyone is interested.
trisailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 17:32   #2216

Boat: Searunner, 37'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I hauled out yesterday, so far so good. The boat in the background is 200 feet long. It gave me a bit of perspective as I am about to sand the bottom. Ah, well, time to drink a couple cups of strong coffee, gobble some breakfast and head for the boatyard, it'll be a very long day. Pictures later.
Your arms are going to sore, but stronger. Over the past six months I have sanded my entire boat to bare glass. Now I am strong like bull, but not sure I am smart like tractor. . .
Old 01-06-2013, 17:34   #2217
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Certainly depends on your definition of practical, but as long as you're happy with your efforts.

There is a SR 40 in town at the moment named "Rebel Street" anyone seen it before? Has a Mercury 25 2 stroke for auxiliary.
Old 01-06-2013, 21:03   #2218

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisailer View Post
Well, the Searunner folding 31 is finally working properly.
Had problems with the lower a-frame brackets bending, but fixed that by adding one more brace.
I'm using a small boom truck to raise the hulls up and then bolting the hinges in place.
Works slicker that ever.
Ends up being just under 13ft wide folding, so need permits, but they are easy to get and cheap. Some cities require city permit plus the state permit.
Any how, I am so happy to finally having the folding done.
Everyone said a folding 31 was not practical, I am very happen to do it.
Have pictures if anyone is interested.
Post the pictures, I'd like to see them. How is it holding up under sail? Everyone will be keeping an eye out for the next decade or so to see how it works in the long haul.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 21:23   #2219

Boat: None currently.

Aloha Folks!
I found a 70's era Brown 37' Searunner. Here is the reply from the seller when I asked him for more info on the boat:

"Let me explain the main reason why the other owners want to sell the boat. The present owners are a non profit organization which has fallen on hard times and are not able to pay the dock fees any longer. One of the principle officers of the non profit is my mom, so that explains the level of my involvement. I am not the owner but have managed and skippered the boat when she is sea worthy. As you can probably tell by the very low selling price she is not currently ocean worthy. Although it should not take too much effort to make her sea worthy again. We originally paid $9000 for the boat plus the cost of the replacement engine and its installation which was about $3500 more. The engine alone is probably worth around $2000 - $3000.

We bought the boat about 3 years ago. Some highlights of the trip home after purchasing her: We knew there was an approaching storm so we sought refuge in a Harbor. On the last leg, I topped her out with a tail wind at around 10 - 12 knots! She was docked for about a week until the winter storm passed and then we continued north. During the first leg of the final leg, we weathered swells up to 15' no problem. I know she is very sound for this type of weather as her marine ply glassed hulls had no problems with the large swells. I believe she could handle rough weather up to 20' - 25' swells no problem.

Once we docked at her present home, I was able to take her out a few times but quickly discovered that the replacement engine was too powerful for the old folding prop which was now not the correct pitch and size. The old engine was I believe a 15 hp Perkins and the replacement Kubota Diesel is 28 hp. Unfortunately the 1" propeller shaft now has a small cut that was made by accident by the guy I hired to replace the propeller. I put on the new bronze replacement propeller which is the perfect size and pitch for the engine and boat. For now the plan is to have the prop cover the cut in the shaft as a temporary measure. Prior to going out on a long ocean trip it would be advised to properly repair or replace the shaft.

The Kubota diesel engine runs very well when it is fired up. The batteries worked but should probably be replaced at some point. The deck has some soft spots interspersed (mostly on the sides and back where the ama's are connected but I don't know the full extent of the deck repairs that are needed.) I would say other than resurfacing some of the spots which are de-laminated probably 20% of the deck wood could need replacing. The front cabin is in great shape, the rear cabin has about a 3' x 3' section on the port side and a 1' x 2' section on the starboard side which needs interior wood replacement. The rear hatch needs to be replaced but works okay for now. The sails are usable, functional but not high performance in their present condition. The rigging is in really good condition but some of the sheets and halyards could be replaced. There are also 2 small cuts, (one in the bow and one on the starboard side ama) that were made by the previous owner which still need to be re-glassed. The wood underneath those cuts should still be fine. The 28 hp Kubota diesel engine also has an alternator which has not been hooked up. Also, the toilet is not currently functional. I investigated getting it fixed a while back and it is possible to get it repaired. Or one could replace it with a newer toilet or simply pull it out and put in a porta-potty. The hulls are in good shape with no leaks as I check them regularly. I checked the bilges recently and the only place where there is any water is in the front cabin bilge. I don't believe there is a leak and this is probably seasonal water from winter. I scraped and cleaned the hulls last week. The hulls probably could use some sanding and new paint. The hulls are bone dry solid and no soft spots that I could find whatsoever. The boat appears to have been built in the 1970s. The last time the boat was out of the water, a bit of pressure was applied to the rudder and it popped out of the mounting brackets which attach the rudder to the stern. No damage was done and the rudder simply needs to be lifted up and placed back into and tightened to the bracket."

Is this boat worth $6k and how much would the repairs run, if I do them myself? I plan on having a surveyor familiar with the construction check her over.

I will read through this thread the best I can. I understand this will not be easy. I'm doing it more out of necessity than pleasure. I don't have enough time to build a dinghy first for more experience. I helped my Dad build some boats and my brother (who will be assisting me) has built a pontoon boat that had some issues that he learned from, and he rebuilt a smaller motor boat. He will look over the boat, too before purchasing.

I suspect if this boat is worth it, it will sell fast.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Craig
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SR Aft.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	61721   Click image for larger version

Name:	SR Bow.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	61722  

Name:	SR Castle.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	61723   Click image for larger version

Name:	SR Cockpit.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	61724  

Name:	SR Head.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	61725   Click image for larger version

Name:	SR Sailing Away.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	61726  

Name:	SR SB.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	61727  
CraigDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 00:25   #2220

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

Craigdc i think it would take a lot of work and maybe 10000 US to get this boat up to a worthy boat. Thats not for offshore but cruising locally.
Thats a wild guess.... and for 2 people 10 months full time work.
These Searunners are bigger than what you think... they are like 3 boats all in one... kinda like a huge platform that needs to be protected from the elements.
I have just taken my 37 out and found it a huge job to just antifoul and fit some new gear .. windless etc... it took a month on my own. Here on Waiheke we pull out with a tractor. It works well most of the time though sometimes we get stuck and find some frantic moments blocking traffic or slipping down the ramp....
O that is a little fellow in the pic helping out with a bolts for the P Bracket or Strutt. I needed to replace the cutless bearing.. costs just keep going up.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran