Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2018, 09:47   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450f
Travel Insurance for EU resident - world cruisers

Hi,

We are U.K. citizens - Portuguese resident and just about to depart for our big trip.

Can anyone recommend a travel insurance product that will cover us - year 1 we will be Europe, Bahamas and North America, year 2 Bahamas and North America.

We have health insurance in Portugal so we need emergency cover and repatriation during our time away.

We do not wish to return to Europe during our cruise - is there a policy that allows for this, (most I’ve seen require repatriation every 12 months)? / Or are we able to ‘return home’ by visiting the Virgin Islands for example?

We are going with the ARC in November so have time - it would be great to hear what others have done/are doing in this respect....

Thanks in advance

Nigel and Ann
slimnrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 13:45   #2

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Re: Travel Insurance for EU resident - world cruisers

I have a worldwide health insurance arranged via Pantaenius at reasonable costs, it's not a travel insurance. I do not have to return home every year. It covers everything except dental issues.
Old 23-06-2018, 00:15   #3

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Hi Nigel and Ann

We are Brits and lived on our boat in the Caribbean and then did a circumnavigation with the World ARC. All that time, we had travel and medical insurance from Topsail ( Yachtsman's Travel Insurance ). They are the people recommended by World Cruising Club so you may already have received info about them.

Anyway, good prices (I thought) and good service (never claimed though so who knows what happens then!). One piece of advice... Don't include USA on your insurance until you have to. It added considerably to the annual cost when we took a 6 month cruise from the BVI directly to Maine and then coast and ICW down to Florida.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 00:37   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

Ck out DAN.org
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 09:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimnrp View Post
Hi,

We are U.K. citizens - Portuguese resident and just about to depart for our big trip.

Can anyone recommend a travel insurance product that will cover us - year 1 we will be Europe, Bahamas and North America, year 2 Bahamas and North America.

We have health insurance in Portugal so we need emergency cover and repatriation during our time away.

We do not wish to return to Europe during our cruise - is there a policy that allows for this, (most I’ve seen require repatriation every 12 months)? / Or are we able to ‘return home’ by visiting the Virgin Islands for example?

We are going with the ARC in November so have time - it would be great to hear what others have done/are doing in this respect....

Thanks in advance

Nigel and Ann

WorldNomad.com offers travel insurance to a reasonable price.

They do cover offshore sailing. Most do not.
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 23:34   #6

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance

Nigel and Ann
Have a look here: http://www.statravel.com/
Dont be afraid its not just for young people (I am 66) and they offer you to stay away for up to 5 years.

Nice and easy to work with them.
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 00:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic26 View Post
Have a look here: http://www.statravel.com/
Dont be afraid its not just for young people (I am 66) and they offer you to stay away for up to 5 years.

Nice and easy to work with them.
Read terms:

Statravel seems to have excluded saiing outside terrotial waters!
Old 24-06-2018, 01:11   #8

It is important to understand how insurance companies interpetate the terms. One of my friends had a travel insurance that excluded sailing 25Nm from the coast. He thought that was not a concern as he only did island hopping in Carribean.

But when he claimed the insurance in BWI they refused to pay as some of the crossings months earlier had been longer than 25 Nm from land. Insurance compay said the insurance stopped to be valid after his first crossing longer than 25Nm from land. In his case Trinidad to Grenada.
Old 30-06-2018, 22:14   #9

Boat: Fountain Pajot, Helia 44 Evolution

This is a quote from their Australia branch, for a couple under 64. I assume the offer from the UK would be similarClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-07-01-15-12-29-551_com.android.chrome.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	172819
Old 01-07-2018, 08:07   #10

Boat: Lagoon 450f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils Gruttner View Post
This is a quote from their Australia branch, for a couple under 64. I assume the offer from the UK would be similarAttachment 172819
Thanks

They were very helpful in responding but will not cover the USA for more than 89 days per year - we need 6 months so will have to keep looking...
slimnrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:52   #11

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Thanks

They were very helpful in responding but will not cover the USA for more than 89 days per year - we need 6 months so will have to keep looking...
Must have changed their policy. They gave me 5 months in the USA back in 2012. 60 days standard then an extra charge for the next 90. After that I had to return to the Caribbean. Might have been because I was an existing client.

Maybe sign up with them for the first year that doesn't involve the USA then see what happens when you renew. Personally I found 5 months was enough to do the entire east coast. Much of the coast line seemed pretty similar from Florida up to the Chesapeake, in my humble opinion.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:12   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

We have UK passports and use Bishop Skinner see https://www.bishopskinner.com/travel.../#.WzoWcdJKhm8
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:47   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Travel Insurance for EU resident - world cruisers

I insure with Paentanius UK and seperate from the yacht insurance they do a seperate insurance that covers injury, sickness and repatriation if needed.
In the Caribe you likely will not need cover so much as costs are low in many islands.. ie 18 stitches plus medication at St Barts ER cost me 80euro..
However when you reach the US that would likely cost you $1000+ for the same attention.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, insurance