Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 14:41   #1

Question Admiral 38? Good, bad and the ugly... need some info

Hi,

In the ever ending quest of gathering catamaran info, I'm looking to hear from those out there with experience on the Admiral 38. Whatever you'd like to chime in on both pro and con... personal experience on board... issues/items observed...etc.

Boat would basically be used to cruise the Caribbean. Some single handing and otherwise double handing. Ideally would like to be able to make a transpac with it, though think it's a bit on the small side (even though they sail over from SA). Maybe it's more than capable, but would rather go into something 42-45' range.

All thoughts, opinions etc. very much appreciated!

Any input on current values and future re-sale would be great too. Here's a 2003 expample currently for sale:
2003 ADMIRAL Admiral 38 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Thanks in advance!
cbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 14:59   #2

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I've been aboard them several times. As much room as any 42 ft catamaran, very well laid out. The build quality is workman like, but sturdy and nice (polyurethane paint on inside instead of veneer and will look better in the long run and be easier to care for). It is one of those boats where they extended the transom on later models so they could sell it at a higher price. I think it's one of the best boats for the money, a great bargain without sacrificing quality. Your bridgedeck clearance is high enough that it will suffice and isn't a draw back. As it sailed on it's own hull on an 7,000 mile delivery from South Africa, you KNOW it's fully blue water capable. Good luck!
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 15:03   #3

Thanks for the reply Schoonerdog... What are your thoughts on performance? I assume typical for any cat in this class, but would like to hear if you've had some sailing experience on them.

Thanks again.
Old 09-03-2009, 15:42   #4

Boat: Admiral 38 S/V Windigo
The real beam of the admiral 38 is 23 feet and draft is 30 inches, I've owned mine for four years and love it. I've been refitting it when I can get off work so little time for sailing. Makes a geat live-aboard. When I had it brought up from tortola the capt. stated he was in 14 ft seas and 17knots speed down the faceof the waves. One of the drawbacks is wiring in the bilge and no true access too the salon bridgedeck from the hulls. Pulling wiring and plumbing for A/C was a pain in the butt. They also didn't glass around the inside of the porthole cutouts so leaks will get into the core(in the process of correcting this mistake) You can e-mail if you would like and get my number too call me.
Wildrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 15:49   #5

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
admiral 38

I was very impressed by the joinery work at the Annapolis show....build quality seems very good.
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 16:00   #6

17kts in 14ft seas? Wonder what that ride was like?! They only had the 40 at the Miami show and it was (to me) one of the most impressive cats there. The 38 feels like a much different boat though... Glad to hear the craftsmanship is solid.
Old 09-03-2009, 16:11   #7

As a side note, how would one compare the Admiral 38 (mentioned in my original post) to this used St. Francis 44? The 44 will need some $ and TLC to get up to shape, but at the same time is a proven circumnavigator and probably a better overall performer than the Admiral 38... not really apples to apples, but for the money I'd be curious to see what people think.

St. Francis 44
1994 St Francis Catamaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Thanks!