Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2013, 05:32   #376

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rottnest

If that plane was dropped from a great height, it will fly, before it hits the ground..
Falling in style. To borrow a quote from toy story.
Old 16-08-2013, 05:37   #377

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka

As I've stated, it'll probably float for a long time as a barge and I hope it does.

But it was built with the stated purpose of sailing the builder and his family to Hawaii. Would any of those who cheer on this madcap endeavour volunteer as crew on that voyage?
I'm not suggesting he take it out of protected waters. As far as his stated goal, well some people are FOS. I suspect this maybe the case.
At least he has a carport for his scooter.
Old 16-08-2013, 16:34   #378

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: The Flyin Hawaiian is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimea Cruiser View Post
Entering this fray very late, and am glad I did. Looks like Erika has hit the nail on the head again! Shameful schoolgirl gossiping and nitpicking by the vast lot of you! Seems to be verging on jealousy to some extents too.

So the man has a dream. Built his dream, and has not asked for your wisdom or expertise, or post build advice for that matter either! You are insulted, jealous? Have nothing better to do with your time than pick apart his efforts? Another sad day on CF. Shame!

To me it looks like the man has more cajones then the majority of us. Also looks like his build is quite along the lines of the US Navy built cat. Built with "YOUR" money! So his was built with ply and donations and little expertise. So what! Did a better job than I could ever do building a boat that size. It floats. Half the battle. He did not run into any Philippines' reef! Has not wasted your time or money. Don't you all have some sailing to do? and leave the guy in peace to enjoy his hard work?

Here is the US Navy cat and his cat. so what one is built of steel and cost billions and the other is built of ply and cost 25k. Both float! As Buddha suggested: If you can not help somebody, at least do them no harm. Seems schoolgirl gossip and jealousy leans to the harm side to me.
I said my peace. I am out. I wish him success in his desire to use the oceans to sail as he desires and sees fit, as long as no harm comes to anybody. Last I checked, none of us own the sea. Peace to all!
I agree, a lot of prattle and picking.

But as far as your qualification (above), well............if he proceeds as planned, out the Gate to the Pacific, will you blame him when the boat comes apart?

It surly will. Have you seen the pics of the construction?
Old 16-08-2013, 16:41   #379

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I remember a guy in the early 80's in Santa Cruz that built a pedal powered helicopter. It didn't work and it was only recently that one barely did. The contraption ended up on a roof of a bicycle shop which I passed every day to and from work. To me it was an excellent example of a mans dream. Again, it is the journey...not the destination which counts.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 21:14   #380

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Again, it is the journey...not the destination which counts.
The sad thing is that with his work ethic, but a more realistic plan, he could have had both the journey and the enjoyment of arriving at his destination.

Measure twice, cut once....
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 21:36   #381

Quote:
I remember a guy in the early 80's in Santa Cruz that built a pedal powered helicopter. It didn't work and it was only recently that one barely did. The contraption ended up on a roof of a bicycle shop which I passed every day to and from work. To me it was an excellent example of a mans dream. Again, it is the journey...not the destination which counts.
Well then my journey includes laughing at other people who have stupid journeys.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 21:39   #382

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Well then my journey includes laughing at other people who have stupid journeys.
Well Eric...If that's how you want to be remembered...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 16-08-2013, 21:42   #383

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by damianham View Post

Of course there has also been some humorous criticism directed at HR but that is only because the guy is putting on such a good show, I for one am riveted, it's better than prime time TV
Humans love a good story, its in our genes.

I like to read analysis of rescues, abandonments & shipwrecks too, they being important lessons. I learnt this FH in addition to other structural short comings has hull wall thickness of between 1/2 and 5/8". A 65' wooden hull needs 1-1/2 to 2" hull walls (can't find the Lloyds page on it this time - remember it was something like this). His hull planking is good for a 26' boat, paper thin for a 65..

Does the bloke who said he wouldnt be surprised if FH made it to Hawaii still think this way?
Capt Rottnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 22:30   #384

Boat: PT-11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

Karma's a bitch, man.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 22:38   #385

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Maybe F.H.has bitten off more than he can chew.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 00:47   #386
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
... Again, it is the journey...not the destination which counts....
That's one of the those romantic quotes that doesn't fit so often as we apply it. More often the destination is the point.

Two very real possibilities exist that are not strictly his own business, not very funny, and not farfetched:
1. He gets in trouble and the Coast Guard has to put men at risk to help him.
2. He is not alone but has guests an places them at risk. They don't know any better and take his word that he knows what he is doing.

Perhaps it better fits the construction of an amateur dream home or the pursuit of fame.
Old 17-08-2013, 03:09   #387
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Flyin Hawaiian is gone!

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 07:10   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
That's one of the those romantic quotes that doesn't fit so often as we apply it. More often the destination is the point.

Two very real possibilities exist that are not strictly his own business, not very funny, and not farfetched:
2. He is not alone but has guests an places them at risk. They don't know any better and take his word that he knows what he is doing.

Perhaps it better fits the construction of an amateur dream home or the pursuit of fame.
I agree totally with all that. I was only referring to the project itself. It takes years to build a boat, so the focus has to be the journey. If it was the destination, almost everyone would give up early. Sorry I was so vague.
Old 17-08-2013, 07:47   #389
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
I agree totally with all that. I was only referring to the project itself. It takes years to build a boat, so the focus has to be the journey. If it was the destination, almost everyone would give up early. Sorry I was so vague.
Very true. You don't build a boat to get on the water, you buy a good used boat. The building is for the process. A life completely devoid of unreachable stars and without tilting at the occasional windmill would be too limiting, and frankly, gray.
Old 17-08-2013, 08:54   #390

Boat: Owens
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

Both true points, not surprisingly they apply equally to every other newbie that has ever purchased a first boat. Including every one of us excepting perhaps those who grew up with parents that owned boats.

The Internet "sailors and naval architects" at this and other forums so far have predicted he'd :
1. Never finish the hull
2. He'd never launch
3. It would break up during launch
4. Sink/never leave the dock
5. Sink/never leave his first anchorage
6. The Bayliner was incapable of moving it
7. Never survive the trip to Sausalito

Could it be that this guy is smarter than the Internet experts believe him to be? Could he have perhaps learned something from his mistakes along the way? Is it possible that, like many of ourselves have had to do, he will scale back his travel plans to better align with reality?

Good thing the Internet and digital photography didn't exist when I was learning. I dare say most of my early hobby build projects where far more dangerous than the Flyin' Hawaiian.

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii