Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 04:16   #211

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Spirited 380 Lost in the Coral Sea

I bet he is pleased he has his boat back,

Very emotional to lose your boat and then get it back, Hard to describe,

Plotting its course with the currents that run along that coastline was pretty easy, As long as it was floating on the surface, The currents do the rest,

Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:25   #212
Marine Service Provider

Excellent work Mr B, well done.

Exceptional result given that nobody else tried to salvage it. I'm not up to speed on salvage laws for our country however I assume it was finders keepers. Better than grtting nothing back, sounds quite repairable.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:46   #213
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Excellent work Mr B, well done.

Exceptional result given that nobody else tried to salvage it. I'm not up to speed on salvage laws for our country however I assume it was finders keepers. Better than grtting nothing back, sounds quite repairable.
Not finders keepers, indeed there is an offence of Stealing by Finding in Qld (and thus by definition in NT, WA, TAS and a dozen other jurisdictions in the world who use the Griffith Criminal Code) as well as all other states that use a no-codified approach, and indeed the law of Theft by finding exists in most Westminster based legal systems.

Maritime salvage law applies, but finders keepers is definitely not an option.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:52   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Not finders keepers, indeed there is an offence of Stealing by Finding in Qld (and thus by definition in NT, WA, TAS and a dozen other jurisdictions in the world who use the Griffith Criminal Code) as well as all other states that use a no-codified approach, and indeed the law of Theft by finding exists in most Westminster based legal systems.

Maritime salvage law applies, but finders keepers is definitely not an option.
WOW, I didnt know that,
I thought it would be finders keepers or a decent payout or percentage under salvage laws,

Keeping in mind, I havent a clue about salvage laws,
Old 07-03-2012, 05:19   #215
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Good news indeed - and it speaks to the seaworthiness of the design, apart from the engine access hatches. Damaged, leaking and unattended for 2 months, through two cyclones, in seas and in a season that many have opined that the boat should not have been in and yet, it remains upright, afloat and with the rig intact.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:43   #216

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

That is fantastic news and I'm so glad that the owner has recovered his uninsured vessel relatively intact apart from the motor corrosion etc. It would have been terrible if it had gone aground on the Barrier Reef and was destroyed. I hope that someone can get some footage of it to put on Youtube for us.

A question for Mr B - were you the "someone" who predicted it's position to be off Innisfail and suggested to the owner to charter a plane to go and look for it?
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:30   #217
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Has Minx posted here in the last of the 175ish posts? Or was he sorta bent about people second guessing his actions? I could care less about what he coulda done. He did what he did to feel safe. My gripe though is, I really, really don't like to be teased. Don't start telling me somthing, then disappear and tell me to wait for the book. Seems he wanted reasurrance that he had done the right thing and O pity me my poor boat. And then he got a big dose of the internet. I just wanna hear the story so I can make my own decision about his seamanship. Mr. B took a good bit of abuse when he posted his ordeal, but he sucked it up and is still with us. Will S/V minx do the same? It seems like minx had to announce his misfortune without wanting any feed back. Well I hate to tell him but internet forums are all about feedback. Maybe he shoulda written a blog. Oh wait then no one would have seen it. It's the 50/50 deal, ask any group anything and 50% are for, 50% are against. This works with any subject. Was Minx lucky/idiot? Republican/democrat? God/no God? Mono/Multi? Cat/Dog? He was nieve to not expect the negitivity, or he simply never read the forum.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:26   #218

I suggested when it was first abandoned that if it was still on the surface,

It would come ashore at either Rockhampton or Cooktown due to the currents and how they flowed out of the Coral Sea,

the currents flow through the Coral Sea from east to west and then split either up or down the coast.

Minx was in the middle of the westerly current, so could go either way, North or south,

But I am glad he has his boat back, and in one piece,

No, I dont know who spotted it for him,and told him where it was.

Innisfail isnt that far from Cooktown, Approx 200 miles,
Old 07-03-2012, 12:36   #219
Marine Service Provider

Surely salvage rights would depend on how many miles off shore it was found.... That is what I was eluding to, not Queensland law.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:38   #220

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
Has Minx posted here in the last of the 175ish posts? Or was he sorta bent about people second guessing his actions? I could care less about what he coulda done. He did what he did to feel safe. My gripe though is, I really, really don't like to be teased. Don't start telling me somthing, then disappear and tell me to wait for the book. Seems he wanted reasurrance that he had done the right thing and O pity me my poor boat. And then he got a big dose of the internet. I just wanna hear the story so I can make my own decision about his seamanship. Mr. B took a good bit of abuse when he posted his ordeal, but he sucked it up and is still with us. Will S/V minx do the same? It seems like minx had to announce his misfortune without wanting any feed back. Well I hate to tell him but internet forums are all about feedback. Maybe he shoulda written a blog. Oh wait then no one would have seen it. It's the 50/50 deal, ask any group anything and 50% are for, 50% are against. This works with any subject. Was Minx lucky/idiot? Republican/democrat? God/no God? Mono/Multi? Cat/Dog? He was nieve to not expect the negitivity, or he simply never read the forum.
Yeah,

You do sound a bit Rabid over this issue from this post. Chill. Patience is in order.

Perhaps he does not have a computer having lost all his possessions. Perhaps he has had more important priorities in view of his situation, earning some money, he has been crusing the Pacific for last 2 years not stuck on a computer.

It is just fantastic news for him, be sure he is working flat out at this moment cleaning up and organising getting back to the Sunshine Coast where his support base is.

Great result.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:43   #221
Armchair Bucketeer

Glad to hear the owner has got his boat back - but a bit early to tell whether she is now little more than flotsam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Good news indeed - and it speaks to the seaworthiness of the design, apart from the engine access hatches. Damaged, leaking and unattended for 2 months, through two cyclones, in seas and in a season that many have opined that the boat should not have been in and yet, it remains upright, afloat and with the rig intact.

Brad
Does that mean the voyage counts as successful?

Although that question started off as sarcasm - to be honest, I really don't know what the answer is in the small CF corner of Planet Multihull.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:53   #222

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Not so.
Quote DOJ " Glad to hear the owner has got his boat back - but a bit early to tell whether she is now little more than flotsam. "

Watching TV news article from last night she looked in good condition, liveable, almost ready to sail but for shreaded sails but engine compartments looked rather nasty lot of rust and corrosion.

Have to say she looked good, and you can imagine how she looked to the owner.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:55   #223

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Well finders keepers does very much apply in Australia,
In Victoria if you find say $250,000 in cash and hand it in after a period of time if no one claims it then it's all yours.
Why would it be different if no one was to claim a stray boat?
But before some one states the clearly obvious this boat has been claimed
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:55   #224
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey
Glad to hear the owner has got his boat back - but a bit early to tell whether she is now little more than flotsam.

Although that question started off as sarcasm - to be honest, I really don't know what the answer is in the small CF corner of Planet Multihull.
The boat is supposedly intact and in pretty good shape. Not bad for going through a couple of cyclones unattended. I guess the thought that a cat must always be actively sailed doesn't apply to all cats!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 13:00   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

So why do you spend so much time here? As you keep saying, we don't understand physics. And apparently our boats don't either.

Or maybe it's you?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral sea