Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2009, 07:57   #1

Slip Fee in the Caribbean - by LOA or SqM?

In the Med, most marinas charge by square meters,especially for cats, what about the Gulf region and the Carribean? And what kind of yearly costs would I be looking at for a 35-38 foot catamaran?
Also, I hear it is difficult and/or expensive to get insurance for a boat anywhere in the Caribbean due to the hurricanes - what would the yearly payment be for a $150k boat?
TCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 08:10   #2

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
LOL..most charge ~1.5xlength for cats and slips are rare. I've not bought hurricane season insurance as we move North for the summer. Most of my friends will move South to get out of the area in the Summer or go on the hard. Some boats yards ( Puerto Rico, St.Maarten, for example) have programs where they will pull your boat should a named boat approach. Insurance is obtainable at a price dependent on where the boat is positioned .
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 08:16   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Good question, Coach. Most of the marinas I was somewhat familiar with have been bought up by IGY (eight of them in the eastern Caribbean -- LINK). They cleverly suggest that you call or email them for current rates.

Jolly Harbour Marina in Antigua is still independent, and has been recently renovated. They double their rates for catamarans. Antigua marinas | Jolly Harbour Marina, Antigua Caribbean | boatyard, travelift, superyacht terminal

Hugh Bailey's Catamaran Marina's rates are here: marina rates I'm not sure how they treat multis, although from their name, they should be friendly. I was in one of their slips waiting to be hauled for summer storage. They're huge!
Old 19-07-2009, 08:23   #4

Roughly $10 a foot per month in Grenada for Cats.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 08:24   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Moving the boat to land in a secured location or escaping the area is more affordable than the extra insurance cost. They sort of split the difference in hurricane season. They charge a lot more and in a named storm pay less as a percentage.

If you want to sail in hurricane season then it needs to be out of the area or limited to shorter trips knowing you may have to head back to haul. Hauling at the last minute is risky every place (even here). Everybody wants to haul if possible. Slip fees are as a wide a range as possible. The quality and location make the better places higher than you might imagine.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 10:23   #6

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
As for insurance, I have actually seen my policy costs go down over the past 2 years by more than 40%, primarily due to the fact that we haven't had a storm on the east coast of Florida in the past few years (knocking on wood as I write this!), and I shop every year for the best price from any A rated companies. most coverage has a 5 to 10% deductible for named storms and most policies will cover your boat for the east coast of the U.S. and the Bahamas to the T and C's. After that you need additional riders to go further south.
I have cruised both coasts of Florida and the Bahamas and have never paid extra for a slip. I do get T dockage often and at times marinas can't accomodate me, so I always call ahead, but have never paid more. At my Marina in Cocoa Village, Florida (which is one of the few that do not make you leave during a named storm) you would pay around $700 a month for your size cat. That price is based on a 40' slip length.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 10:53   #7

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Dockage is cheaper in the Windwards than the Leewards or Virgins.
Most Marinas post their rates on their website.
If you make one marina your home base for three or more months at a time you can negotiate a better price sometimes.

There are a few insurers that will cover you "in the hurricane box" during hurricane season. One of the best insurers for the Caribbean area is Jackline/IMIS- if you talk to them ask for Al Golden. Al represents other underwriters also if Jackline will not cover you.

IMIS Home Page
Old 19-07-2009, 12:26   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
... There are a few insurers that will cover you "in the hurricane box" during hurricane season. One of the best insurers for the Caribbean area is Jackline/IMIS- if you talk to them ask for Al Golden. Al represents other underwriters also if Jackline will not cover you.
IMIS Home Page
For further insurance information, including many excellent references for Al Golden, see also:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ance-2901.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nce-19100.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nce-12448.html

BTW, Al is a contributing member of CF.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lden-1840.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 15:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Roughly $10 a foot per month in Grenada for Cats.
Where? The best I'm aware of in Grenada is around 90 US cents / ft / day, maybe slightly less on a monthly rate, certainly less at the Grenada Yacht Club but usually full. The swankier marinas are a lot more expensive. Most charge at least 50% more for cats. All in all, a good reason to stay at anchor!

For insurance, try Commandeur in the Netherlands - sensible hurricane cover (we stay south of 13N) and better rates than anyone else we've asked, including Jackline / IMS. PM me if you want an email address as their website is only in Dutch.
Dedzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 19:04   #10

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
$6-700 a month for a 40-45ft cat here in the BVI

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 17:22   #11

Dedz...GYC rates are what I was quoting. When we stayed there in 2004 it was not a problem to get a space if you reserved well in advance for the season. Don't know if that has changed. I would think Clarkes Court Bay would be in the same $$ range since the daily rates are within a nickel of each other but don't know their rates for longer term.

BTW...on the insurance issue...I know Jackline moved the "box" south to include all of Grenada and leave Trini and VZ as the only options after Ivan. Don't know if this has changed but I do think Al and IMIS is GREAT and he will find a policy that fits if the Jackline/Markel policy won't. No connection...just really happy with the service they provide us after Ivan.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 22:51   #12

Since I was planning to cruise during the period between November and April anyway, it seems that I'll be better and cheaper off without hurricane insurance and by putting the boat on the hard between April and November then? How much would I be looking at for 7 months storage on the hard?
TCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 06:33   #13
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
All the yards have different rates. Some have options like steel cradles instead of jackstands. You need to look them up on their individual websites, or in the case of the IGY properties, contact them directly by phone or email. If your insurance company allows you to lay up your boat ashore for the hurricane season, they'll charge a premium over and above your normal policy premium that most likely will vary, depending on which island you choose. You'll need to get that straight from your insurance agent.

Tags
Caribbean, loa